Is This Team Blacklisted by Other GMs?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Is there a neither button to press. Lowe and Burke are a wash. Both have had their success and failings at the GM position, and have been ousted at that role. Like I said earlier, by no means am I defending our disastrous mgmt. team but I don't have much respect for Burke either. Outside of hockey the guy is a very honourable and he has shown some remarkable character taking up his son's cause. Fire Lowe and hire a smart man, that's all I have to say:laugh:

A wash? LOLOLOLOLOLOL Come on man, you dislike Burke, nothing wrong with that but calling him a wash with Lowe is beyond absurd.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
The vultures are circling. Nobody is going to offer a fair deal because they know that the desperation level is the highest it's ever been. If I was a GM from another team, I'd low ball the Oilers to see how dumb and desperate they are. It happens all the time in the NHL.

The only thing that will fix this is a completely new team of executives coming in.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The vultures are circling. Nobody is going to offer a fair deal because they know that the desperation level is the highest it's ever been. If I was a GM from another team, I'd low ball the Oilers to see how dumb and desperate they are. It happens all the time in the NHL.

The only thing that will fix this is a completely new team of executives coming in.

Totally if I was a guy like Holland I'd be calling MacT every game they lose. Eventually he'll bite and take an awful deal.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
You might be right but the examples you gave are really bad.

Schneider = division rival tax
Seguin = we had nobody like Eriksson
Smyth = I'll agree with you on this one. Just **** management
Vanek = we tried; the fact that it was matched has nothing to do with the Oilers. Edmonton had to because we can't attract FAs or get trades the same way other franchises can. There's offer sheets and the draft.
Penner = we got him

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is the problem we have

we have players with either top end talent or players that are complete ****

there is nor middle ground and Mact is not willing to move one of the guys who could go on and be one of the top players in the league

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
My take on the Perron - Anisimov rumors.

Oilers and Jackets were close to a deal.
Oilers wanted Jackets to add a little more (potentially Erixon).
Jackets were hesitating.
Oilers leaked to press that other teams were interested in Perron.
Jackets called the Oilers bluff and viewed it as bargaining in bad faith.
No trade.
Oilers tried to re-start trade talks and Jackets basically said sure but now we want Perron plus for Anisimov.

I think if you bargain in bad faith, or have a history of such other teams will start treating you like used car salesmen and have little time for you.

MY TAKE is that you're out to lunch in your description of this potential trade. Perron is the superior player as compared to Anisimov-- look at the stats. And Erixon ???? of what use is he to Edmonton. And Anisimov of what use is he to Edmonton -- ie he's a 3rd line center in Columbus quickly going down the depth chart to being a press box regular and will be available by the summer draft for a 3rd or 4th round pick. And as a player he's of a limited lifespan or best before date in Edmonton, particularly if the Oilers continue to tank can get lucky and grab either McDavid or Eichel.

So, why would the Oilers trade a 28 goal scorer (last year) for a guy that nobody else is clamouring after and who is available for loose change in 6 months time. The Oilers aren't going anywhere this year now, so why throw away assets and acquire a bandaid fix asset in exchange????

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
MY TAKE is that you're out to lunch in your description of this potential trade. Perron is the superior player as compared to Anisimov-- look at the stats. And Erixon ???? of what use is he to Edmonton. And Anisimov of what use is he to Edmonton -- ie he's a 3rd line center in Columbus quickly going down the depth chart to being a press box regular and will be available by the summer draft for a 3rd or 4th round pick. And as a player he's of a limited lifespan or best before date in Edmonton, particularly if the Oilers continue to tank can get lucky and grab either McDavid or Eichel.

So, why would the Oilers trade a 28 goal scorer (last year) for a guy that nobody else is clamouring after and who is available for loose change in 6 months time. The Oilers aren't going anywhere this year now, so why throw away assets and acquire a bandaid fix asset in exchange????

I dont know. Why did they spend a 5th round pick on Nikita Nikitin, a constant healthy scratch for those very same Blue Jackets, and then proceed to pay him $4.5M?

He could have been had for free. And he certainly isnt worth his wages.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I dont know. Why did they spend a 5th round pick on Nikita Nikitin, a constant healthy scratch for those very same Blue Jackets, and then proceed to pay him $4.5M?

Impatience, fitness, boldness, but mostly stupidity.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

MacT didnt choose the GM life the GM life chose him.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004

there is nor middle ground and Mact is not willing to move one of the guys who could go on and be one of the top players in the league

Outsider coming in peace. As good as the Kings have been the last few years, I have seen lean years that aren't fun, so I can sympathize some of what the Oilers fans are going through.

I think a lot of what you say here is correct. To me, the ironic thing is the Oilers are in the position of neding to make a move like the Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene deal, but they need to be the ones dealing the one piece for a package that might be lesser assets, but fills more holes and provides more leadership. That has to be a hard call for management to make. I don't know if the one for one trade for an improvement at center or defense is out there, especially if the main pieces the Oilers have to offer is at wing. Trying to package players for an improvement probably opens up more holes. As bad as it sounds, it might be time to take a step back that lets you take many steps forward in the future.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Totally if I was a guy like Holland I'd be calling MacT every game they lose. Eventually he'll bite and take an awful deal.

That description doesn't sound like someone that is blacklisted, as you suggested. Sounds very much like someone other GMs want to deal with.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
A wash? LOLOLOLOLOLOL Come on man, you dislike Burke, nothing wrong with that but calling him a wash with Lowe is beyond absurd.
Meh, I don't like either atm. Outside of the claim to fame Sedin draft what has Burke the great done that is soooo impressive. Lowe brought his Oiler team to a SCF as well, Burke won it of course but that Duck team wasn't his creation.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Meh, I don't like either atm. Outside of the claim to fame Sedin draft what has Burke the great done that is soooo impressive. Lowe brought his Oiler team to a SCF as well, Burke won it of course but that Duck team wasn't his creation.

Burke has accomplished more in a fraction of a career than KL ever will. Like him or not, it's true.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Further to this' the problem is compounded by the fact that the"alleged top end talent" is also ****. So right now there's a huge discount on the value of that ****, and the other worthless **** is still worthless, and unbelivably theyve managed to collect this pile of **** and pay them near the salary cap, so theres no releif there either. Nobody is going to pay for any of this ****, and you cant even spend your way out of this mess. Compounding this is the great likelihood this team wont finish quite low enough in the standings for McDavid or Eichel, so people can quit penciling them in too. It is a disaster years and years in the making. Compete disaster.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Oilers have rarely dealt from a position of strength and when stock prices are high. Every good salesman and boardroom executive knows when to prey on the weak. Knowing Perron has under performed and plays on a team with 8 straight losses will certainly yield offers no Oilers fan wants to year about.

He has low value right now and that's the hard truth. No GM would he dumb enough to blacklist an organization when there's only 29 of them to deal with.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
The Oilers' weak trading position is due to their players playing like crap for the most part. The Oilers are valuing their players based on potential, pedigree and draft position. Potential trading partners will put some value on potential but will put more weight on recent performance. Those two don't line up and thats why there hasn't been any trades.

headhunter

Jun 17, 2011
heat of the battle
To reply to the OP's question...

Our inability to develop our prospects effectively has severely hindered our ability to make a trade to improve the on ice product. Many opposing GMs want what we can't really afford to give up if we want to remain competitive.

Sometimes the best deal is to not deal. And I believe that has happened on a number of occasions.

Uh when was this team competitive to begin with let alone "remain" competitive .

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Your examples are poor, Schneider was not traded to us (unless for king's ransom) for obvious reasons. And I would still take Hall over Seguin. If anything other GM's are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. Burke is a ****ing joke and laying any claim that he has something to do with Calgary's success is laughable, which you didn't…just saying. If anything teams are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. If we had Holmgren or Snow at the helm they probably would have flipped the roster over a couple of times already. I wish the Oil would have pursued Halak, he was the goalie the Oil needed. IMO I think MacT is being as painfully diligent/gun shy as Tambo was in the past, which of course goes completely against what he stated when he got the job. I don't know what's more damning a GM afraid to make a mistake or a trigger happy guy willing to throw caution to the wind. There must be a happy medium somewhere.

I would have taken Seguin. Most scouts said he was the better player at the draft and we needed a Centre bad. You'd think management couldn't get the first overall pick wrong, and they did. Scouting is horrible, not a late round pick on the roster. There are too many things wrong with this team, it is no wonder nobody wants to come play here.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
here is the problem

off the table are

Hall, Nuge, Eberle,Schultz--slightly off the table LEon and Yak and 2015 first rounder

the oilers want to get something good for the other stuff and most of the other stuff is crap

It is not about blacklisting it is about the fact for a player like PErron you are not going to get a clear 2c or a dman who cal haul 20+minutes a night safely

for what the oilers need it will cost and mact is afraid to pull the trigger on a bold move for fear of losing it

I'm pretty sure Schultz is on the table. MacT probably has tried to trade him. No one wants him because he is going to be a free agent and demand a big payday, when he has not earned it. On most good teams in NHL, he would not get a roster spot.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Burke only built a cup contender in Vancouver, a cup winning team in Anaheim, was about to do good things in Toronto but got fired and now Nonis is ruining the team and is looking to build Calgary into a legitimate force. Lowe got gifted Pronger, traded him for nothing and is still trying to recreate the 1984 Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad