Post-Game Talk: Is There Others Game Of The Season Yet? (Habs 2-6 Jackets)

DOTG? (28/03/2019)

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sure every player is available for the right price. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to make offers for players that can take us to the next level. Gostisbehere or Fowler will certainly not make us PO contenders.

This team still needs some work.
Why are we not in a position to make offers? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: Amerika and Deebs

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The plan was to make the playoffs, we failed to make them 3 out of 4 seasons...it’s been long overdue Bergevin needs to be fired.

And Molson needs to hire a president, I want to see him far away from this team.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think you pointed out the issue, unintentionally or otherwise.

Who are the best teams in the league? Tampa, Boston, Calgary, San Jose, Toronto, Winnipeg, Nashville, Washington, etc. Every one of those teams has at least 3 forwards who are better than Domi/Drouin/Gallagher (sub Tuna if you like). Most of them have better D, too...

Our guys just can't consistently match up against the best players on good teams. And we don't have the sum of the parts thing down at all, even though that's what MB/Julien are going for. Far too many hot and cold performances, from players throughout the lineup, on a night-to-night basis.

I would also point to our systems and D as well below league average.

Where does that leave us?

Well, we don't have the right build, and we won't tank. So here we are - in some hybrid Carolina-Minnesota-land. Except our team is far more prestigious and storied. But that's the unfortunate reality of our situation.

Personally, I am going to laugh at the rest of the season, get some fresh air, and hope that we get the Pastrnak of this year's draft at _ _ position.

Management is going to deliver another bubble team year after year until they are all kicked in the ass, including scouting.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Say we got Fowler, and then what? Where do you think that puts us?
It puts us in the playoffs and it's one step closer to being competitive.

On the flipside, we could've trade vets away for picks or prospects. Then we're one step closer to rebuilding.

Pick a direction. It's not hard.

Reactions: Astormynight

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If they wanted playoffs above all else then why didn't we do anything at the deadline? It was so clear that we badly needed help on the D. If we'd gotten it we'd have probably made it.

Honestly, I don't know what the **** mgmt wants at this point.

They want playoffs, so they're trying to "balance" that with drafting and development.

That's the road we are on, getting ripped off for cash instead of glory.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
The plan was to make the playoffs, we failed to make them 3 our of 4 seasons...it’s been long overdue Bergevin needs to be fired.

And Molson needs to hire a president, I want to see him far away from this team.
Won't happen ,Molson Magoo's head is so far up Bargain brains rear end he can't see the light.

Reactions: the

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They want playoffs, so they're trying to "balance" that with drafting and development.

That's the road we are on, getting ripped off for cash instead of glory.
Well, Molson's missed the playoffs two straight and three out of four. We're not the only ones losing cash...

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It puts us in the playoffs and it's one step closer to being competitive.

On the flipside, we could've trade vets away for picks or prospects. Then we're one step closer to rebuilding.

Pick a direction. It's not hard.

What it does is it keeps us in mediocrity and we give up assets in the process. No thanks.

I think you have more faith than I do with this current roster.

Reactions: Agalloch

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
They did nothing because they knew we had no chance at the Cup. So we try moves without giving anything. We didn't sell because it would be a huge slap in the face to players that gave it all.
This goes way way beyond the trade deadline this is the result of seven years of mediocre clueless management. But wait we have Wayne Gretzky,Mark messier and Paul Coffey coming up next year.

Jul 6, 2016
The plan was to make the playoffs, we failed to make them 3 our of 4 seasons...it’s been long overdue Bergevin needs to be fired.

Not yet !

Jul 6, 2016
Molson is in love with MB.....he isnt going anywhere,

MB is like a pesky mosquito flying around your head, you constantly swat at him, but he always comes back and is never gone

Molson is very satisfied with the progress the team made this year. Way more entertaining and passionate. Better "attitude". Still lack some talents and size.

And, like Molson, we should too. But.....

Reactions: Agalloch

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What it does is it keeps us in mediocrity and we give up assets in the process. No thanks.

I think you have more faith than I do with this current roster.
Then go the other way... rebuild. Deal off guys.

Standing pat isn't acceptable.

I do not accept this "we aren't in a position to do anything" crap. Yes we are. f***ing DO IT.

If we added Fowler, we might've made the playoffs. Then add others in the offseason. Go that way. That's fine too. But we've got to pick a path or we'll go nowhere.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I know what you mean BUT if we do that, your players will be pissed. They believed in themselves. You don't let your team like that. Bergevin did nothing like he had too in this case. Columbus went stupidly all in.

Bc I'm sure our skilled guys are thrilled to sit on the pine & watch weal & Thompson play...

MB again wastes both assets & opportunity by not having a plan.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Which skilled guys are sitting for Thompson ? Hudon?

Maybe not Thompson but since the acquisition of Weal Drouin is having less TOI than him. Since Feb 25th Weal is playing on average 15:38 a game and Drouin 14:35.

Here's the TOI for forwards since the acquisition of Weal (Feb 25th minimum 10 games played)

1. Danault 17:44
2. Domi 16:55
3. Tatar 16:16
4. Shaw 16:04
5. Gallagher 15:45
6. Weal 15:38
7. Lehkonen 14:47
8. Drouin 14:35
9. Byron 14:04
10. Armia 14:02
11. Thompson 13:29
12. Kotkaniemi 12:40

Do you think that guys like Lehkonen, Drouin, Byron and Armia who "fought" to bring the team in playoffs are happy to play less than Jordan Weal. Jordan Weal is basically a 2nd line player since we got him. He's the 6th most used forward. If this is not talked by players behind closed doors then i'm Mother Theresa. I'll give you a clue i'm not Mother Theresa. It's important to note that Weal on average is playing only 7 seconds less than Gallagher since feb 25th.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Maybe not Thompson but since the acquisition of Weal Drouin is having less TOI than him. Since Feb 25th Weal is playing on average 15:38 a game and Drouin 14:35.

Here's the TOI for forwards since the acquisition of Weal (Feb 25th minimum 10 games played)

1. Danault 17:44
2. Domi 16:55
3. Tatar 16:16
4. Shaw 16:04
5. Gallagher 15:45
6. Weal 15:38
7. Lehkonen 14:47
8. Drouin 14:35
9. Byron 14:04
10. Armia 14:02
11. Thompson 13:29
12. Kotkaniemi 12:40

Do you think that guys like Lehkonen, Drouin, Byron and Armia who "fought" to bring the team in playoffs are happy to play less than Jordan Weal. Jordan Weal is basically a 2nd line player since we got him. He's the 6th most used forward. If this is not talked by players behind closed doors then i'm Mother Theresa. I'll give you a clue i'm not Mother Theresa. It's important to note that Weal on average is playing only 7 seconds less than Gallagher since feb 25th.

interesting coincidence that our two most skilled forwards have hit their worst slump in line with these roster additions...

is it that the pace of play got tighter and they just can't hack it?
is it that the coaching staff has shifted their approach, and it hasn't translated well?
is it just coincidence?

one thing that is troubling, is that both Thompson and Weal, whom had little to no value to their non-playoff teams, arrive in Montreal, a playoff team at the time, and start getting far more ice time, just as montreal starts to fall off and slip out of a PO spot.

coincidences?
inevitable reality of a poorly constructed roster that was well suited for early season play but not equipped to handle crunch time?
regression caused by a coach who doesn't get how to use skilled players?

all of the above?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
interesting coincidence that our two most skilled forwards have hit their worst slump in line with these roster additions...

is it that the pace of play got tighter and they just can't hack it?
is it that the coaching staff has shifted their approach, and it hasn't translated well?
is it just coincidence?

one thing that is troubling, is that both Thompson and Weal, whom had little to no value to their non-playoff teams, arrive in Montreal, a playoff team at the time, and start getting far more ice time, just as montreal starts to fall off and slip out of a PO spot.

coincidences?
inevitable reality of a poorly constructed roster that was well suited for early season play but not equipped to handle crunch time?
regression caused by a coach who doesn't get how to use skilled players?

all of the above?
It really is incredible that right when we hit the most important games of the year we bench KK. And he subsequently tanks.

Maybe something happened behind the scenes we don't know about. To me that would be the only rational answer that makes sense. If Julien did it to get more out of him he failed spectacularly.

Reactions: Miller Time

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Sorry no.

You pick a direction and that's the way you go. Either you're rebuilding or you're improving to make a run. I do not accept a GM doing absolutely nothing as his team stands at the edge of the playoffs with 9 million in cap space and glaring needs on the D.

Seriously... WHAT is the plan? What the **** are we doing?

Who said anything about "short term fix"? Make a trade. Get somebody who's under contract. Nobody is suggesting he had to go get rentals.

In Bergevin's last press conference he mentioned how we were going to be 'retooling' through the draft while at the same time becoming 'competitive' as well. Nobody really batted an eye at this statement, but it was confirmation of exactly what I had feared the plan was going too be. Its more of the same; Not really picking a concrete direction.

From what I gather, the plan is to not trade prospects and picks for established players... but at the same time try to improve the roster. That doesn't really make for a great plan for a team who is already thin on expendable assets that arent prospects and picks. I mean, unless our abundance of small bottom 6 wingers is more valuable than I give it credit for, then I don't see how we can really improve our roster without sacrificing prospects/picks or core players.

At the same time, its going to be hard to build a team purely through the draft in the relatively short period of time that we have to work with in the Weber/Price 'window', especially if we continue to draft in the mid-late teens. IMO, "Build for the Future!" and "Compete Now!" are not very compatible philosophies when you are a middling team with a handful of glaring holes.

I'm with you. Pick a direction, and f***ing go. Enough beating around the bush, and enough of the 'lets see what happens' attitude. Start building for a purpose, and stop wasting seasons and everyone's time. IMO, you either commit to the rebuild and start shopping Price, Weber, Petry, Shaw, etc, or you go full speed ahead and try to make this team into a contender to make a cup run or two within the next 2-5 years.

Personally, i'm far more partial to the rebuild option, but anything beats the same old 'wait and see' mentality that has wasted our time for whats going on two decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad