Post-Game Talk: Is There Others Game Of The Season Yet? (Habs 2-6 Jackets)

DOTG? (28/03/2019)

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The silver lining would be to at least get odds. Making the playoffs was completely pointless from the getgo. I'd have more chances boinking Isidora Goreshter than the habs winning the cup this year.

It's simple. Ownership WANTED the playoffs above all else. A decision made against the needs of tge franchise if the goal is to win a SC.
If they wanted playoffs above all else then why didn't we do anything at the deadline? It was so clear that we badly needed help on the D. If we'd gotten it we'd have probably made it.

Honestly, I don't know what the f*** mgmt wants at this point.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
If they wanted playoffs above all else then why didn't we do anything at the deadline? It was so clear that we badly needed help on the D. If we'd gotten it we'd have probably made it.

Honestly, I don't know what the **** mgmt wants at this point.

They did nothing because they knew we had no chance at the Cup. So we try moves without giving anything. We didn't sell because it would be a huge slap in the face to players that gave it all.

Reactions: swimmer77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They did nothing because they knew we had no chance at the Cup. So we try moves without giving anything. We didn't sell because it would be a huge slap in the face to players that gave it all.
So it wasn't playoffs or bust then? :laugh:

Seriously.... who the f*** knows what these guys want? If you want to sell then f***ing do it. If you want the playoffs then at least get one guy back there.

Doing nothing accomplishes exactly that.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Seriously.... who the **** knows what these guys want? If you want to sell then ****ing do it. If you want the playoffs then at least get one guy back there.

All the moves since Plekanec's trade are rebuilding/retool moves or so... I mean it's clear what we are doing.

I mean, Columbus traded almost all their picks and are still not even sure to make the playoffs. Bergevin did the right thing.

Please tell me what Bergevin did to improve the team for this season ? Domi/Tatar were surprises...

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
All the moves since Plekanec's trade are rebuilding/retool moves or so... I mean it's clear what we are doing.

I mean, Columbus traded almost all their picks and are still not even sure to make the playoffs. Bergevin did the right thing.
How is doing nothing the right thing? That is not leadership. It's not exhibiting any kind of plan.

Pick a direction.

If he wants to rebuild then f***ing do it. Andrew Shaw's value would've been sky high. Drouin would've been worth a lot at the deadline. DO IT! Then go out in front of the microphone and tell people WHY you're doing it. That is leadership. That is what having a plan looks like.

If not and you want to go for it, then make trades to get better. DO IT! Get help on the D. Deal off guys like Suzuki if you have to and go for it.

Doing nothing makes no sense whatsoever.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
How is doing nothing the right thing? That is not leadership. It's not exhibiting any kind of plan.

Pick a direction.

If he wants to rebuild then ****ing do it. Andrew Shaw's value would've been sky high. Drouin would've been worth a lot at the deadline. DO IT! Then go out in front of the microphone and tell people WHY you're doing it. That is leadership. That is what having a plan looks like.

If not and you want to go for it, then make trades to get better. DO IT! Get help on the D. Deal off guys like Suzuki if you have to and go for it.

Doing nothing makes no sense whatsoever.

So, if you manage a team that's overachieving and are in playoffs position at TD... you trade some players to miss it ? What message you give to the rest of them still playing for you ? I just don't agree at all.

You don't go at the Cup, because it's CLEAR we will not win it. So the only direction in your case.. it's to miss it.

Doing 'nothing' made sense at that point. He was stuck between 2.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Seriously.... who the **** knows what these guys want? If you want to sell then ****ing do it. If you want the playoffs then at least get one guy back there.

Management decided to roll the dice with this roster. I don't think they were ready to give up any assets for short term fix.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So realistically, we'll need to win at least 3 of our last 4 games to get in, right? Not sure how likely that is to happen.

The team is simply not good. They had the lead against Columbus and just stopped caring. Gave up 5 goals in a row and it wasn't due to lucky bounces, it was mental errors and bad play.

Pretty much worst case scenario.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
upload_2019-3-29_9-38-14.jpeg

Pretty much how I feel right now...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So, if you manage a team that's overachieving and are in playoffs position at TD... you trade some players to miss it ? What message you give to the rest of them still playing for you ? I just don't agree at all.

You don't go at the Cup, because it's CLEAR we will not win it. So the only direction in your case.. it's to miss it.

Doing 'nothing' made sense at that point. He was stuck between 2.
Sorry no.

You pick a direction and that's the way you go. Either you're rebuilding or you're improving to make a run. I do not accept a GM doing absolutely nothing as his team stands at the edge of the playoffs with 9 million in cap space and glaring needs on the D.

Seriously... WHAT is the plan? What the f*** are we doing?
Management decided to roll the dice with this roster. I don't think they were ready to give up any assets for short term fix.
Who said anything about "short term fix"? Make a trade. Get somebody who's under contract. Nobody is suggesting he had to go get rentals.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Habs had three huge 4-point games recently

loss vs Blue Jackets: 6 goals on 30 shots
loss vs Hurricanes: 2 goals on 40 shots
loss vs Penguins: 5 goals on 25 shots

One great goaltending performance but 2 pretty sorry ones :(

To be fair to Price Bobrovski was not any better yesterday. I mean imo Price is not the reason we lost. And had we win Bobroski would be the reason why. We simply did not score one single legit goal yesterday. The 2 goals we scored were pee wee material at the very very best. The two goals we scored were eyes rolling.

Price had a rough night but let's be honest the defense crapped the bed big time. The defense yesterday looked on the ice like it looks on paper which is abysmal.

Not trying to defend Price but we overplay him and as soon as he has an off night the team crumble. Since the beginning of January we won only two games when our goalies give 3 goals or more. Pens won 4, Colombus 7 and Carolina 10 yes you read that right Carolina won 10 games when their goalies gave 3 goals or more since the beginning of January. Let that sink in for a while. The two games we won when our goalies gave 3 goals or more were against Edmonton and Buffalo (two of the 6 worst teams in the league).

Price is number one for the minutes played in the league an he is 2nd for the most shots faced. And the quality of the shots he faces is high. MT tried to overplay Price in the past and it failed. When i was young we did not overplay Roy and TB right now is not overplaying Vasi. I understand Price is our star player and paid accordingly but it doesn't magically makes him able to play 70 games without slowing down some nights. When MB offered him the contract he knew Price was not able to play 70 games so it's all on MB.

Price will more than likely be nominated for the vezina. He is by a good margin our best player this season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

When the script of this season is written it will be that the Habs did nothing to improve their playoff chances while most other bubble teams did.

Bergevin is about to come back for his 8th year and the team is still mired in mediocrity, sick of this chapter

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Honestly, I don't know what the **** mgmt wants at this point.
We would have gotten it if Drouin improved on D a little and most importantly, produced like a real superstar.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Who said anything about "short term fix"? Make a trade. Get somebody who's under contract. Nobody is suggesting he had to go get rentals.

Name me a player that is under contract that was available at trade deadline and worth give up one our young assets / picks?
I'm not an MB supporter (far from it) but I just don't see any player coming here and making us a cup contender. If anything, we should of traded one of older assets while their value is still good for futures.

I get some people are bitter with last night's results, but lets face it, we are far from contention.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sorry no.

You pick a direction and that's the way you go. Either you're rebuilding or you're improving to make a run. I do not accept a GM doing absolutely nothing as his team stands at the edge of the playoffs with 9 million in cap space and glaring needs on the D.

Seriously... WHAT is the plan? What the **** are we doing?

100% agree. Also we are not in a position as good as some fans think we are imo. Yes we look better than last year but there's lot of work to do. I like Domi and so far it's a very good trade but he looks like post cancer Koivu out there. As a 1st line center he is good enough to make us a bubble team but not good enough to bring a cup unless the rest of the team is elite+. All our hope is on JK and i'm still not sold on him to become an elite number 1 center (which he needs to be considering the rank he was drafted). We have a plan B in Poehling and Ylonen but more depth would certainly makes me more confident. And Even if Ylonen blossom I don't think he is close to be able to lead a team as a number 1 center. We are at least a good 3-4 seasons away from that.

On the wings we will need help. Yes the wingers group did well but it's not on paper a super strong group and at least one elite winger would be required. If Kok and Poehling reach their ceiling then moving Domi on the wing could resolve the issue but there's a lot of ifs here. Again if one (or two) of Poehling and Kok doesn't reach their ceiling and we have to keep Domi as a center then all our hope will be on Suzuki. I just don't see it in Drouin. He can be a good 50-60 points guy complementing a strong number 1 center but certainly not a guy you can rely on. Shaw because of is health history should not be relied on. That leaves Tatar and Gallagher which is kind of weak.

On the defense things look even worse. I mean if Romanov doesn't reach his ceiling we are in trouble specially if Brook is not comfortable on the left side. Lot of interesting prospects at defense but very few legit ones outside of Brook and Romanov.

This is a year where we had to tank. After the team lost 5 games in a row in November and was out of the playoffs and 17th in the league MB should have instantly sold his vets. Petry and Tatar were both on fire and should have been traded. Waiting for the deadline to act was a mistake. I called it back then and i sign today. Maybe we will do the playoffs. Maybe not. MB gambled and if he wins and makes the playoffs good on him. But if he doesn't then it's going to be an awful season for him. Houle territory season.

I'll wait and see what happen. But in my book there's a high probability that MB just missed the bus for a 2nd time. He had everything handed to him on a silver plate this season. Vets on fire with good value. A 5 games losing streak at the end of November following a bad season so nobody would have complained much had he sold the vets after that sequence. The next two drafts are supposed to be very good. The prospects pool is already good so adding to it could have made us a contender eventually. But nope MB preferred to add some scrubs fighting for their life to stay relevant as NHL players. His usual hope for the best everything is possible strategy.

I'll wait. Maybe MB will prove me wrong. Maybe we'll make the playoffs and get some good experience. Maybe all our kids will blossom. Maybe Panarin and Karlsson will both sign here this summer. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe ... but for now it doesn't look very good to me.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Wtf cares what other people think. You have your opinion they have theirs. This place makes me laugh. No one is right or wrong

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Name me a player that is under contract that was available at trade deadline and worth give up one our young assets / picks?
You don't know who's available until you make offers. Was Shea Weber available? No. Until we offered Subban and then suddenly he was.

Fowler I'm sure could've been had. I'd have made a play for a guy like Ghostisbehere but even a 2nd pairing guy could've helped. Maybe you don't get the guy you were hoping for (Ghostisbehere probably wasn't available) but I don't accept that nobody was available. That's crap.

Reactions: Amerika

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
MB should not be part of the team's future. Reins should be given to somebody without a stake in what's happened in the past. He should've been fired long ago. So fire him now.

It probably won't happen but I really, really, really hope it does.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
You don't know who's available until you make offers. Was Shea Weber available? No. Until we offered Subban and then suddenly he was.

Fowler I'm sure could've been had. I'd have made a play for a guy like Ghostisbehere but even a 2nd pairing guy could've helped. Maybe you don't get the guy you were hoping for (Ghostisbehere probably wasn't available) but I don't accept that nobody was available. That's crap.

Fowler would have to agree to waive his NTC.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

I'm sure every player is available for the right price. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to make offers for players that can take us to the next level. Gostisbehere or Fowler will certainly not make us PO contenders.

This team still needs some work.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
MB should not be part of the team's future. Reins should be given to somebody without a stake in what's happened in the past. He should've been fired long ago. So fire him now.

It probably won't happen but I really, really, really hope it does.

This we can agree on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad