Speculation: Is there consequence to losing?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
the fact that they haven’t done so
Adams signed the biggest free agent available in 2020. He made one of the biggest trades in franchise history in Eichel. You can't say they haven't made trades or signed UFAs. Has he made hypothetical trades or UFA signings? No GM ever makes those.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
As troubling as it has been since Halloween, I do think we have seen this team at its worst this season. Didn't expect us to make the playoffs so...

They must go for it next season. Playoffs or bust in 23/24. If we are 15 million under the cap next year I'm not watching the team next year.

Reactions: Chainshot

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Adams signed the biggest free agent available in 2020. He made one of the biggest trades in franchise history in Eichel. You can't say they haven't made trades or signed UFAs. Has he made hypothetical trades or UFA signings? No GM ever makes those.
It’s true that Hall was a major signing, but even at signing, it seemed clear from the contract specifics that he wasn’t in the long term plans. Similarly, Eichel was traded away because their hand was collectively forced. I think he made the best of a bad situation there, but neither case demonstrates a case of unfettered commitment to long-term roster building.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I have to read a lot of angry posts and I don’t think this thread really has many of them.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not upset about young players needing time to develop. I'm upset that veterans have been as much of the problem as rookies or even moreso. I'm upset that the team looks SO inept without the puck that just maybe Granato et al are not up to the job of coaching this team.

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
Sabres cant keep handing out these contracts anymore to players playing good in the last 20-30 games of the season only when its to late. This is when other teams that cant reach playoffs play bad and then Sabres thinks the team has improve and are ready for playoff because they played good in the end of seasons . Next year they really need to go for the playoffs or they have wasted the second rebuild. I Said next year they need to reach the playoffs no matter thats should be the expectations regardeles if they come dead
last this season . Sabres should had the players allready to reach there. Sabres Need to fix a goalie for next season as the finish goalie they have havent show any potential and Andersson needs to retire after this season and comrie need to be in the Ahl . Sabres need to build a new 3-4 line for next season. They need to change their way playing the game

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
lindy was also a good coach taking medium good teams to the playoffs look at devils as a example. That was his greatest skill Making okey teams good enough to reach playoffs

Reactions: SabresFan26

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I hate hearing this repeated. Hall was the biggest name available but he wasn’t what was needed at the time. They needed a second line center like Haula, a defensive upgrade to guide Dahlin and a goaltender that didn’t need a guide dog to find the ice. Adams refusal to address the goaltending issue two years ago because he was comfortable with the prospect of UPL and then later Levi is evidence that he was not looking at the problem immediately facing the team. Stahl was an abysmal attempt to address the 2C.

The Eichel trade was a move that was made after Adams already lost the confidence of the few valuable players we had. And we traded away the best player in that deal.

But the thing I can’t swallow is this idea of blocking players. A GM’s primary job is to field a competitive every year. Period. If the prospects are not able to beat out established players well then you drafted the wrong prospects or they are not ready, And they can continue to develop in a lower league. Ceding roster spots to prospects without production warranting it is a fool’s errand. A GM should never worry about blocking players if the person in front is actually better and contributing to winning.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
I can't stand talking about injuries when Pittsburgh made the playoffs just last season with Crosby missing sometime and Malkin missed half the season with Evan flipping Rodriguez taking their time at 1C for a long period ffs he was a 4th liner for us at one point. Boston missing their best D-man for 10+ games this season and still be at the top. This organization continues to ice an underwhelming lineup and guys that have no business playing as high as they should or in situations(Skinner on the PP) that they should never be in like the GM and coach are beyond oblivious to something that is clearly not working. Fitz is so bad I might as well be begging for them to put in Clague which is sad.
What about the Captain on the pp? You single out Skinner, but 21 is garbage and stealing about just as much money on the ice.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What about the Captain on the pp? You single out Skinner, but 21 is garbage and stealing about just as much money on the ice.
He doesn't kill possession on the PP do you see Okposo skating into 4 people on a freaking PP.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'm just weary of everything around this team, and to a lesser extent, the mickey mouse bullshit of this league. I used to live for hockey- playing and watching. This churn of these last dozen years has just taken the enjoyment out of all of it.
I feel you. Hockey was always my #1 sport. I played for much of my life. Watched every Sabres game. Every interview. Even through the tank years.

But I’m just burned out. I was actually excited with the way they were playing to start this season. I was looking forward to watching Sabres hockey again. But now I’m back to barely watching again. I have absolutely no patience left for bad Sabres hockey.

The Sabres are slowly killing my love for hockey. It doesn’t help that the NHL doesn’t show very many games on cable, so the Sabres games end up being the vast majority of hockey I watch for the season. Maybe I should get ESPN + so I can start watching other teams play more consistently. See what real hockey looks like again… 😂

Sometimes wish I could just pick a new team to root for. But I can’t. It just wouldn’t feel the same. It would feel kind of hollow.

Reactions: oldgoalie

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I feel you. Hockey was always my #1 sport. I played for much of my life. Watched every Sabres game. Every interview. Even through the tank years.

But I’m just burned out. I was actually excited with the way they were playing to start this season. I was looking forward to watching Sabres hockey again. But now I’m back to barely watching again. I have absolutely no patience left for bad Sabres hockey.

The Sabres are slowly killing my love for hockey. It doesn’t help that the NHL doesn’t show very many games on cable, so the Sabres games end up being the vast majority of hockey I watch for the season. Maybe I should get ESPN + so I can start watching other teams play more consistently. See what real hockey looks like again… 😂

Sometimes wish I could just pick a new team to root for. But I can’t. It just wouldn’t feel the same. It would feel kind of hollow.
I could've wrote this same post, it's exactly how I feel. I do have ESPN+ though and I will say it's definitely worth the money. It's basically NHL center ice but for a fraction of the cost. You get to catch college hockey games and other assorted sports as well.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It’s true that Hall was a major signing, but even at signing, it seemed clear from the contract specifics that he wasn’t in the long term plans. Similarly, Eichel was traded away because their hand was collectively forced. I think he made the best of a bad situation there, but neither case demonstrates a case of unfettered commitment to long-term roster building.
I think you are reading a different playbook.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
lindy was also a good coach taking medium good teams to the playoffs look at devils as a example. That was his greatest skill Making okey teams good enough to reach playoffs

Give a gander to the Devils if you haven't. That isn't a medium good team, that might be the most talented team he's coached since 2007 and might be better than that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As troubling as it has been since Halloween, I do think we have seen this team at its worst this season. Didn't expect us to make the playoffs so...

They must go for it next season. Playoffs or bust in 23/24. If we are 15 million under the cap next year I'm not watching the team next year.

That seems reasonable. I'd like to see some of the kids taking steps to displace vets and maybe we are seeing that with Quinn moving up to PP1 in the last game. Power offensively and in transition has seemed to give them a boost but he has a lot to learn and a lot to apply to how to defend so that's part of the learning process. Cozens and Peterka seem to have good chemistry and look like they could be a dangerous pairing as a mid-line 2-way unit that can give them matchup minutes.

I'd like to see them right the ship sooner rather than later and get back in the chase. It's clear they still need help on the blueline and in terms of committed 200' players at forward. And this year should sort out if it is time to cut bait on Mittelstadt, regardless of his relationship with Dahlin or the rest of the team.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I'd like to see them right the ship sooner rather than later and get back in the chase. It's clear they still need help on the blueline and in terms of committed 200' players at forward. And this year should sort out if it is time to cut bait on Mittelstadt, regardless of his relationship with Dahlin or the rest of the team.
That's where conversations with players like Dahlin need to take place. Do you want to win or do you want to play with your friends? I'm all for the good vibes, but those vibes won't remain great if they continue losing. The players as much as anyone understand this is also a business, and the GM's job is to put together a team that can win.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's where conversations with players like Dahlin need to take place. Do you want to win or do you want to play with your friends? I'm all for the good vibes, but those vibes won't remain great if they continue losing. The players as much as anyone understand this is also a business, and the GM's job is to put together a team that can win.

Since he's wearing a letter, I'd be putting it in his ear that for someone like Mitts to stick around, he has to due more at ES in both directions. Get Dahlin to get after Casey as a way to keep the fire going.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That the previous regime mishandled free agency and trade acquisitions should not be a limiter on using those avenues to supplement drafting and development. The best teams balance all three paths to roster building, and hopefully, the fact that they haven’t done so is more reflective of a lack of fruitful opportunity than general conservatism
It all goes back to the focus of the season. They wanted another year of injecting youth with they others already there and focusing on their growth/development. They also wanted to evaluate some of the more experienced but still young guys to see where the fit going forward (Like Mitts, Joker, etc).

All their offseason moves were informed by that focus. It would lead to a roster with some flaws that could be exacerbated if certain players struggled or got injured. Things that would make winning tougher.

Let me give a couple examples of what I mean.

AT FORWARD

1) They wanted all three of Krebs/Quinn/Peterka to be a part of the starting 12 forwards. Because of that they only wanted bottom 6 vets who could easily be removed from the lineup but fill in of needed.

That‘s a big reason why we didn’t sign the vet bottom 6 defensive/two way center everyone wanted this offseason. Thats not someone you sign to sit most nights.

2) Mitts and a few other of the young vets struggling 5v5. Thats a big hit and pushes pressure down to the kids to make it for that.

ON DEFENSE

They wanted all four of Dahlin, Sammy, Power and Joker in the top 4. It makes sense for the purposes of this Season. Three are core pieces you want to start developing/growing together and Joker is someone they want to see if he can fit with them.

But that group comes into the season with issues…..
-like lack of experience (Power/Sammy)
-need to established they can be a top 4 dman (Sammy/Joker)
-youngster who is going to struggle defensively (Power). Perfectly normal but something that will be an issue in games.
-no top 4 depth because they’re already in the top 4. Joker and Power in that order order were the realistic top 4 depths options had we gone outside for a top 4 dman or two.

It was going to be an up and down ride with this d-group because of their youth and/or inexperience in the positions they were in. Hopefully more ups than downs as the season moved on. But injuries to any of them was going to be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: enthusiast

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
To be honest, whether he's Dahlin's friend or not, we need wins and better players if these don't make it. Rasmus, like no one else, must understand this, and also understand that this is a business, exchanges always take place and will take place. Moreover, Dalin clearly has more than one friend on the team.

Yes, I'm not the biggest fan of Mitts, but I'm ready to give him a chance, I just think we need other players on his line, Krebs and Olofsson are not working.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To be honest, whether he's Dalin's friend or not, we need wins and better players if these don't make it. Rasmus, like no one else, must understand this, and also understand that this is a business, exchanges always take place and will take place. Moreover, Dalin clearly has more than one friend on the team.

Yes, I'm not the biggest fan of Mitts, but I'm ready to give him a chance, I just think we need other players on his line, Krebs and Olofsson are not working.

I think Dahlin gets that, from the way everyone talks about his competitiveness and for the first time since Dom was a Sabre, hearing about someone who puts in as much work to get better as he does regularly.

Right now, they've learned some hard lessons in their record. The comment from Granato about them having a terrible practice prior to the Arizona game and then laying an egg - that's a teachable moment if some of these guys are as responsible as they've said they are. They've played some very good games in this losing streak and a couple of stinkers. Getting to the point where they are consistently in games or dictating play has to be part of the growth, and if someone shrinks away from doing what is necessary, that's going to be educational for the front office at least.

As for the wingers for Mitts... Krebs is not Asplund. He doesn't play the game the same way and not for nothing, that's an issue when you have someone who is a finesse shooter not known for his effort plays on the other wing. Vic is what he is - the cement is set. He's a complementary scoring winger who has a lot of warts but is a bonus option for a team that has need of a shooter on the PP who can also have some flashes at 5-on-5 in a depth rather than primary role. What that is worth in trade, I don't know but he's probably the most redundant player on the team since they have a couple of wingers who can do some of what he does (score finesse goals at range) in Peterka and especially Quinn who are also both more physically involved. Casey has to be the net-front guy on that line AND the defensively responsible one. With someone who doesn't go to the net and another player who is very much a pass-first player, the line is ill-constructed. With that said, without getting Okposo and even to a lesser extent Girgensons, they don't have the defensive blanket to put into that line unless it is Asplund and then Krebs is back in the middle on the "4th" line. Hinostroza won't really help that line - he's a bit like Krebs in that he will drive his wing with speed but is not a very good defensive player to cover for his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad