Speculation: Is there consequence to losing?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
To be perhaps more explicit, the lingering question here is whether players or staff will face individual consequences, not whether being terrible forever has any effect.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
To be perhaps more explicit, the lingering question here is whether players or staff will face individual consequences, not whether being terrible forever has any effect.
No. If there were several players would be riding busses around in the AHL and multiple coaches would have been sacked.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I've went from "I can't wait to watch the game tonight!" to "I don't f**king care anymore" within a span of a month...

Its the same old song and dance.. Start the season out hot and give fans hope to going on a bad losing streaks
Yep. Same here. I barely even watched the last 2 games. I changed the channel last night once they went down 3-0 in the 1st. And I was legitimately excited with the way they started the season. I was starting to gain a legit interest in the Sabres again. I was even looking to buy a ticket pack.

But now they’ve totally pissed away all the good will they had rebuild with me (and I’m sure many others), and it’s getting harder & harder for me to regain interest every time this happens.

Quote the turn of events for Buffalo sports teams in the last month. We went from people talking about “could this be the beginning of a golden age for Buffalo sports?” to the sports gods quickly reminding us that we are Buffalo fans…

Seriously, the Bills, Sabres and UB football + basketball have all combined for 0 wins in the last 3 weeks.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Mentioned this in the last gbu and while Chain(?) rightly offered that the youth might get cycled through Rochester, I still have to wonder what the bigger picture stakes are here.

Granato just got extended, so he’s almost certainly locked in regardless of team performance.

Adams seemingly constructed a roster that simultaneously allowed players room to grow while also almost certainly not being competitive, so he probably has leeway for this season too.

Underperforming vets either can’t be moved or won’t be moved for locker room reasons.

Does the Sabres’ record really matter to anyone? Clearly some guys need to play for their contracts or nhl status, but has this losing streak put any meaningful pressure on anyone?
It really does seem like losing has been accepted here.

I feel like when other teams go on 3,4,5 game losing streaks you hear about the GM + coaches ripping the team a new a-hole and the players holding closed door player-only meetings.

Here? It’s just another November.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I’ll be tuning out. Time and energy will go to the bills and the World Cup for the next little bit. Hope they get back on track and young guys develop but it’s just not fun or relaxing watching them right now

Reactions: start winnin

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It really does seem like losing has been accepted here.

I feel like when other teams go on 3,4,5 game losing streaks you hear about the GM + coaches ripping the team a new a-hole and the players holding closed door player-only meetings.

Here? It’s just another November.
It has. We are stuck in the "lose for draft picks" mentality that has worked out so well for us the past decade and when losing is the goal that's all you are going to do.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Things are not good. Granato seems to be back on his heels a little, I can't get a read on a coherent strategy out of him. The roster is bad right now. The vets needed to help turn this thing around aren't there.

Lets see what effect Jost and Samuelsson have. Lets see see what UPL can do. The issue is we've been watching this for over 10 years and we are exhausted. When in reality, the rebuild only started Summer 2021. Has it been 18 months?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
When in reality, the rebuild only started Summer 2021. Has it been 18 months?
That's the problem, you don't make that kind of rebuild when the team sucks for over 10 years. Ok, you can have one season to figure out who suits you and who doesn't. For the next season, you are already replacing those who are not suitable for good and correct players and introducing young people into the squad, but even in this case, you need to do it gradually. Adding a third pair defender and a wild card goaltender looks a bit weak. Also obviously depth in defense didn't work.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
That's the problem, you don't make that kind of rebuild when the team sucks for over 10 years. Ok, you can have one season to figure out who suits you and who doesn't. For the next season, you are already replacing those who are not suitable for good and correct players and introducing young people into the squad, but even in this case, you need to do it gradually. Adding a third pair defender and a wild card goaltender looks a bit weak. Also obviously depth in defense didn't work.
It wasn't a consensus by any means, but if you go back and look at where the fans heads were at the end of 21/22, people were optimistic. Management had to feel as though things were trending in the right direction with this crew. We know Adams WAS looking for a top 4 D, but for some reason changed his mind. We know Adams tried to get Murray, and he nixed that. Adams does not want to block people out. The type of character you would get through trades or UFA isn't there. So you go with Girgenssons and Okposo as your leadership. Now those guys are out.

Adams never promised they would make the playoffs. As fans, we hope and wish that, see the hot start, and thinkg MAYBE? The wheels have come off a bit from the plan, but this team is where it is partially because they NEVER see anything through. No more GMs or coaches this season. Tune out if you want, but the Sabres are going to ride this group out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes you do. Building up a ton of in house talent so we’ll soon have a lot of depth organizationally is the smartest thing we’ve done in quite some time.

Its amazing to me the same fan base that watched us suck ass while spending a ton of money/rotate coaches. Feels we need to go back to that. Or that its some kind of magic fix.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It wasn't a consensus by any means, but if you go back and look at where the fans heads were at the end of 21/22, people were optimistic. Management had to feel as though things were trending in the right direction with this crew. We know Adams WAS looking for a top 4 D, but for some reason changed his mind. We know Adams tried to get Murray, and he nixed that. Adams does not want to block people out. The type of character you would get through trades or UFA isn't there. So you go with Girgenssons and Okposo as your leadership. Now those guys are out.

Adams never promised they would make the playoffs. As fans, we hope and wish that, see the hot start, and thinkg MAYBE? The wheels have come off a bit from the plan, but this team is where it is partially because they NEVER see anything through. No more GMs or coaches this season. Tune out if you want, but the Sabres are going to ride this group out.
Yes, I too was optimistic if Adams would solve the offseason roster problems. I think he did not solve them, maybe he tried or not, who knows, but that's how it is. There were options with goalies besides Murray and the top 4 RD, both of these options were taken by the Devils and now they are going uphill, and we are going down again.

It's not about the playoffs, although it's damn important for a team that hasn't been there in over 10 years, it's about improving the roster, improving results, Adams didn't do enough in the summer to make that happen. Now, of course, it is more difficult to do this, but this is the problem of the GM.

I'm convinced that Adams could do more this summer and it doesn't have to be a blockbuster deal or trade his best prospects.

Yes you do. Building up a ton of in house talent so we’ll soon have a lot of depth organizationally is the smartest thing we’ve done in quite some time.

Its amazing to me the same fan base that watched us suck ass while spending a ton of money/rotate coaches. Feels we need to go back to that. Or that its some kind of magic fix.
What are you talking about? Adams got off to the right start, but just too slow and this summer was important, but he did a little wrong.

We clearly speak different languages (which is true)

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Other than Abysmal (aka Hockey Barry Switzer) they have done nothing but hire novices with zero track record of success in those positions. Why not hire someone who can point to actual accomplishments as a coach or exec?

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Other than Abysmal (aka Hockey Barry Switzer) they have done nothing but hire novices with zero track record of success in those positions. Why not hire someone who can point to actual accomplishments as a coach or exec?
The group running things now has only been here since last offseason. I really don’t care about anything before that when evaluating them.

We’re focused on developing a ton of youngsters and have a coach with that background. Complaining that were not a playoff team when that was never the focus is about as tone deaf as a it gets

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I can't stand talking about injuries when Pittsburgh made the playoffs just last season with Crosby missing sometime and Malkin missed half the season with Evan flipping Rodriguez taking their time at 1C for a long period ffs he was a 4th liner for us at one point. Boston missing their best D-man for 10+ games this season and still be at the top. This organization continues to ice an underwhelming lineup and guys that have no business playing as high as they should or in situations(Skinner on the PP) that they should never be in like the GM and coach are beyond oblivious to something that is clearly not working. Fitz is so bad I might as well be begging for them to put in Clague which is sad.

That shows more that we are beyond morons when it comes to evaluating talent. EROD is a top 6 player on a much better team than he was here when he was buried in the AHL

Maybe that is why we have sucked donkey nuts for so long. We aren't playing the best players in the appropriate positions

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That shows more that we are beyond morons when it comes to evaluating talent. EROD is a top 6 player on a much better team than he was here when he was buried in the AHL

Maybe that is why we have sucked donkey nuts for so long. We aren't playing the best players in the appropriate positions
The people here now had nothing to do with that decision.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
@Fjordy @sabremike

I completely understand the frustration. Its not like I enjoy watching them playing like crap.
I'm just weary of everything around this team, and to a lesser extent, the mickey mouse bullshit of this league. I used to live for hockey- playing and watching. This churn of these last dozen years has just taken the enjoyment out of all of it.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The group running things now has only been here since last offseason. I really don’t care about anything before that when evaluating them.

We’re focused on developing a ton of youngsters and have a coach with that background. Complaining that were not a playoff team when that was never the focus is about as tone deaf as a it gets
The problem with the "They're developing" narrative is that the team, players and results keep getting progressively worse. The start of the soon to be double digit losing streak saw competitive games against tough opponents and devolved into comically dire performances against lesser teams. The only way a progress angle works is if they had played like crap against bad teams and then run into a buzz saw of a schedule and lose but in very competitive fashion. Last season was progress, this season is the complete opposite.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
That the previous regime mishandled free agency and trade acquisitions should not be a limiter on using those avenues to supplement drafting and development. The best teams balance all three paths to roster building, and hopefully, the fact that they haven’t done so is more reflective of a lack of fruitful opportunity than general conservatism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad