Is there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem ?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
People have been saying he’s very particular about his line mates for a while. He’s demanded to ply with Scheifele and has put up fits when asked to anchor a different line. Allegedly.

WINNIPEG - Head coach Paul Maurice had an idea of what he wanted to do with his lines with Bryan Little out due to injury.
He sent a quick text to his captain and got the answer he was looking for.
"I said this is the direction I'd like to consider and I had some line combinations," said Maurice. That direction? Moving Blake Wheeler to centre.
"His answer was 'Yes. I'd love to,'" said Maurice. "Then we talked about it a little bit more.

Reactions: hn777 and Burkeocet

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Still think he's a problem ever since he screwed the Coyotes
Most people would've done the same.

He wouldn't have made the NHL sooner if he left college early. He wasn't ready. So it's not like he stayed extra long purely to avoid Arizona as far as I know. He had the opportunity to choose where he went and chose a place he thought would be better for him. He didn't owe Arizona anything - they didn't develop him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Evander Kane , Laine, Byfuglien , Chiarot is just to name a few who had issues with Wheeler.

Trouba demanded a trade but that was chalked up to family reasons but who really knows.

Some post trade information is coming to light that Laine and Wheeler had major major friction.

apparently Wheeler is my way or the highway kinda leader and it gets old really fast with players.

Is this a concern for Winnipeg fans ? It certainly won’t bode well when trying to attract free agents if Wheeler keeps getting a reputation around the league.

I think Paul Maurice had a tongue slip the other day where he said (paraphrasing) "Scheifele is the future captain" LOL

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
Nope. This is made up nonsense.
It sounds ridiculous. Ehlers is the guy who very quickly apologized for seemingly being short with a reporter recently. I don't see him a guy who would go whining to the media

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think the center depth is even better now than it was when Laine initially joined the team. Completely overblown.

LMFAO. Hahahahahaha

1C Mark Scheifele, 1C Bryan Little, and 45p in 65gp Mathieu Perreault.

Funny huh?

Perrault hasn't played C regularly for the Jets since 2014-15, well before Laine arrived. He played wing in 2016, mostly in the top 6 (Connor was a rookie and only played 20 games that year).

Lowry was the 3C in 2016, same as now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wheelers biggest problem is that him and Scheifele play like they’re too sick for the league now and are butter soft.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Maybe that's the Laine camp spin, but it seems more likely Laine felt he needed to play with Schiefele to justify his contract demands.

ms.jpg

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Kane, Laine, Chiarot, Roslovic, and Trouba all wanted out. There’s definitely a problem in Winnipeg.
Actually it's a problem if we had to keep them, Ben though I wish we could have kept but it's a money thing and I'm sure he's fine for the Habs.

- Ros wasn't going to crack our top 6 and he's good enough to be on some other NHL teams top 6.
- Kane is Kane
- Trouba I hate seeing traded because my avatar is getting old and I'm to lazy to change it.
-Laine was never going to be in the cards long term, Co$t and Position, He's a guy that wants to be top dog and he should be if he can find the right team, Chef, Ehlers and Connor are better than him for this team.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Wheeler is one of the main reasons that Laine is gone along with Maurice.
Laine would still be a Winnipeg Jet if those cancers Wheeler and Maurice were not here.
Wheeler and Scheifele are Maurice's pets and they run the show here in Winnipeg and the locker room.

Who in their right mind dumps a 22 year old scoring phenom and keeps a 34 year old incompetent captain making $8,250,000 around instead.
Fire Chevy , fire Maurice , trade Wheeler now before it gets worse.
I absolutely hate this Laine trade that .

Someone who isn't for winning

Reactions: felixhockey

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He is probably a strong leader/voice in the dressing room and alot of kids nowadays cant handle that.

He seems like he is exactly what a captain should be, but things are different nowadays and people expect to be treated differently.

Ya, the guy who quit on the team who drafted him is such a grandiose moral authority and all the kids today are spoiled brats.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think the expectation in Jets leadership was that Laine would just take the backseat and accept it. But he didn't just accept it, because he felt he didn't have enough opportunity to become what he expects to be. He didn't want to be second chair.

There will be those who agree with the Maurice-Wheeler line of thinking, and those who understand Laine's side better.

This was a pretty good trade from many perspectives. Jets get the 2nd line center they have needed, Jackets add a ton of firepower which they have lacked.

Laine gets out of a situation where is stuck watching a lesser player occupy his seat and lose, gets to be the #1 fwd of the team and likely used to his strengths much better than he ever was in Winnipeg. There are no more restraints on him.

PLD gets out of whatever it is that really drove him out, he gets to be closer to his dad and Jets have a top 3 Center depth in the league now.

Kekalainen gets the guy he always wanted to get in the draft.

Wheeler gets a cozy feeling of job security.

Fans get to see the "before and after" of Laine getting away from PoMos circus.
Laine also gets a straight shooter for a coach. Something that should be a huge relief for a finn who had to play under Paul "I say this and do that" Maurice.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Funny thing is, recent years CBJ has been pretty much the contender instead of WPG

CBJ has been nowhere close to contending. They lost in 5 and 6 in rounds 1 & 2. Winnipeg has been to the conference finals in recent years.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
CBJ has been nowhere close to contending. They lost in 5 and 6 in rounds 1 & 2. Winnipeg has been to the conference finals in recent years.

Last two years when WPG hockey ended there was still games left to watch with CBJ, therefore my avatar

Reactions: mattihp

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Last two years when WPG hockey ended there was still games left to watch with CBJ, therefore my avatar

Winnipeg had injuries, Columbus at full strength didn't get past round 2 and that's with Panarin who's way better than Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00