Is there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem ?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Last night Scheif played 26 minutes and Wheeler something like 22-23. Ok, that's high even for Maurice, but that's the reality with how he plays his lines. Maybe with the arrival of PLD there's a chance he will go more towards 1A/1B, but this far it has never been the case, even when the 2nd line has been performing great.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
There is nothing that indicates Wheeler's personality drove Laine out.

When Wheeler's production falls and he (perhaps) drops down the lineup let's see how he handles that, see if it's about him or the team.

Reactions: Mbraunm

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think the expectation in Jets leadership was that Laine would just take the backseat and accept it. But he didn't just accept it, because he felt he didn't have enough opportunity to become what he expects to be. He didn't want to be second chair.

There will be those who agree with the Maurice-Wheeler line of thinking, and those who understand Laine's side better.

This was a pretty good trade from many perspectives. Jets get the 2nd line center they have needed, Jackets add a ton of firepower which they have lacked.

Laine gets out of a situation where is stuck watching a lesser player occupy his seat and lose, gets to be the #1 fwd of the team and likely used to his strengths much better than he ever was in Winnipeg. There are no more restraints on him.

PLD gets out of whatever it is that really drove him out, he gets to be closer to his dad and Jets have a top 3 Center depth in the league now.

Kekalainen gets the guy he always wanted to get in the draft.

Wheeler gets a cozy feeling of job security.

Fans get to see the "before and after" of Laine getting away from PoMos circus.

It'll be very interesting to see Laine in a much bigger role no doubt. The only perceived restraint I can see is the fact that the Jackets don't really have an elite setup man for him to play with. But that could also lead to Laine taking on more of a puck carrying role too which could lead to better things as well. His potential just wasn't going to be reached in Winnipeg so it'll be very interesting seeing what he can do with Columbus.

Reactions: Husqvarna

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
Then he was being selfish.

If you aren't playing on "the top line", then you take that as a challenge to turn your own line into being a nightmare to deal with.

The concept of "1st line" and "2nd line" is so arbitrary, and really only applies to video games.

In real hockey, it is possible to give 2 lines 18-20 minutes a game. There doesn't have to be a 1st-line and 2nd-line. As long as both lines are clicking.

Instead of pouting and sulking, Laine could have focussed on turning his line into a 1B to Sheifele's 1A.
I think you're underestimating just how bad Bryan Little is

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
There is nothing that indicates Wheeler's personality drove Laine out.

When Wheeler's production falls and he (perhaps) drops down the lineup let's see how he handles that, see if it's about him or the team.

Wheelers 5 on 5 production has lagged behind Laine's the entire time (GF60) and the PP points of Wheeler went way up when Laine came to town.

If it was a normal coach/player dynamic, yes they would have dropped him down the lineup and sometimes benched for lack of effort but that isn't a thing with Maurice/Wheeler. He gets his minutes regardless of how he plays. He was a drag on the team in the first game and Laine won it by himself, with 5-6 minutes less than Blake. He's been pretty bad since but Jets depth is bailing him out.

Wheeler is not held responsible like other players in the team.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Speaking of Maurice, just want to say he should be gone. Just for the fact that no coach should not have this long of a shelf life unless you are successful.

This is his 8th season as the jets coach (1st season he was only coach for half a season, so more like 7.5 but still). 2nd longest tenured coach in the league, that's just not right.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You have to understand one thing about HFboard Jets

There is a group of "fans" and I use that term loosely that will post whatever they can whether there is truth to it or not that disparages Wheeler,Maurice,Chevy and Chipman.

Don't know where it comes from or why but its pretty much non stop for 10 years

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
In case it hasn't already been pointed out, the thread should be titled:
"Are there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem?"

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

There is a group of "fans" and I use that term loosely that will post whatever they can whether there is truth to it or not that disparages Wheeler,Maurice,Chevy and Chipman.

With Laine gone HFJets already feels better.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Add Little to that group.

Reactions: behemolari

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Reading through the thread... There's some very baseless and bizarre comments that are just fabricated nonsense. You're actually right. That's weird..

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I think Laine's problem with wheeler and schief was they were never held to account for crummy play. The Kane issue was more Ladd's porblem.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I just feel bad for Jets fans. They had everything in their hands, such a deep group and now they are shallow. Only center depth and goaltender is elite.

Reactions: FMichael

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I just feel bad for Jets fans. They had everything in their hands, such a deep group and now they are shallow. Only center depth and goaltender is elite.

You realize the Jets are currently 5th OA in the NHL standings, 4 of the top 11 scorers in the NHL are Jets and three of those four players are wingers right? Plus the Jets as a team have scored the 3rd most goals in the NHL...........and they've achieved all that without a single game from PLD and only one game from Laine. Jets are doing just fine, no need to feel sorry for the Jets fans.

Jets have had a great start to the season, shaking off the rust from the offseason and are steadily playing better which they will need to do to be a playoff team and win tough games coming up. If anyone wants to criticize the Jets, it's certainly not about their offensive power at wing or centre.........its valid to criticize them defensively. 17th GA, 20th shots against and 28th in PK. PMO before the season started stated the Jets weren't going to be a defensive juggernaut with our D core. The publically stated plan was to minimize high risk scoring chances and out score teams using a highly potent offence......which is exactly what they have done to-date quite well.

Jets traded from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness.........while some fans always are sad trading away a player they draft......this trade is exactly what the Jets wanted & needed and are a better team now bc of it. PLD will help them defensively better then Laine could ever do and greatly improve their weakness at centre, while being a pretty offensive producer himself. Chevy stated he wasn't going to trade Laine unless he got 1C or 1D back and he got himself one of the best young 1C in the NHL. Jets nation wishes Laine (& CBJ) nothing but the best, but are very happy to welcome PLD to the Jets.

PS: Before anyone says but Hunter it's a small sample size of the season and the Jets will face tougher games moving forward......yes I stated that above when I said "currently", "tougher games to come", "it's a good start".......I've fully acknowledged in my post above its a small sample size, no I don't expect the Jets to finish the year 5th OA in the NHL, I picked them to finish 3rd to 4th OA in the North Division.....I just replied to one poster suggesting the Jets would be hurting without Laine when I fact to date the Jets have done very well without him, time will tell how they do switching Laine for PLD but nothing suggests they will struggle especially offensively.

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I wonder who will be the source of the Lainiacs' ire now? Foligno? Cam Atkinson?

I am counting on you to find that out. Judging by your massive interest in the topic.

I too find Laine apologists a very strange bunch but there's plenty of weird vibes on the other side too.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What is it with Winnipeg, their locker room meetings must be like the group meetings in cuckoos nest. But seriously why all the mood disorders, and now Dubois is going there

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like there are signs that Wheeler is a bit uh..."hard headed?" going all the way back to the way he came into the league. Essentially forcing his way out of Phoenix/Arizona, ignoring the draft and sorta doing it all his own way and picking his spot. Probably a reach to link that with anything now, and just reading more into that situation than is reasonable...but it's there. :dunno:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
You realize the Jets are currently 5th OA in the NHL standings, 4 of the top 11 scorers in the NHL are Jets and three of those four players are wingers right? Plus the Jets as a team have scored the 3rd most goals in the NHL...........and they've achieved all that without a single game from PLD and only one game from Laine. Jets are doing just fine, no need to feel sorry for the Jets fans.

Jets have had a great start to the season, shaking off the rust from the offseason and are steadily playing better which they will need to do to be a playoff team and win tough games coming up. If anyone wants to criticize the Jets, it's certainly not about their offensive power at wing or centre.........its valid to criticize them defensively. 17th GA, 20th shots against and 28th in PK. PMO before the season started stated the Jets weren't going to be a defensive juggernaut with our D core. The publically stated plan was to minimize high risk scoring chances and out score teams using a highly potent offence......which is exactly what they have done to-date quite well.

Jets traded from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness.........while some fans always are sad trading away a player they draft......this trade is exactly what the Jets wanted & needed and are a better team now bc of it. PLD will help them defensively better then Laine could ever do and greatly improve their weakness at centre, while being a pretty offensive producer himself. Chevy stated he wasn't going to trade Laine unless he got 1C or 1D back and he got himself one of the best young 1C in the NHL. Jets nation wishes Laine (& CBJ) nothing but the best, but are very happy to welcome PLD to the Jets.

holy man...I agree that the jets are good but all these statistics and rankings two weeks into the season don’t mean much. The stars and panthers have played like three games each, buffalos only played three teams. So early...lol

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
holy man...I agree that the jets are good but all these statistics and rankings two weeks into the season don’t mean much. The stars and panthers have played like three games each, buffalos only played three teams. So early...lol

Thats why I stated it was a “good start” and stated “tougher games coming up”. Everyone knows how many games have been played. The point was to-date the Jets have done very well offensively which was the point of the poster I quoted, he was suggesting or eluding that the Jets are going to be significantly hurt by Laine lose and I pointed out that to-date the team hasn’t missed him by evidence of those offensive stats which he didn’t contribute to in the least (outside his one game). In no way do I suggest in my post that the Jets will end the season ranked that high in the standings etc, just stated a snap shot in time season to-date here it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: weslox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->