Is there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem ?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not going to act like I was a Jets fan, but it seems silly that they had a pretty solid roster and one of the more electrifying scoring talent in recent years, but yet ran everything to the ground? I can't forget the Hockey News cover story about the next SC champions...

PLD is a great addition, but Jets are still coached by the most losing coach in the history of the league and same management that let this train wreck happen.
o_O

What did they run into the ground?

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Oh my. Scheifele was one of my favourite players. If this bullying stuff is true he just became someone I dislike. f***

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe my memory is wrong or my inner Laine fan blinds me but I do remember often wondering why they didn't pass to Laine when it seemed like an open and easy pass.

You do realize Laine had the most pp goals in the league his second year and the Jets had a top 5 power play that year. It seems to me Laine was used appropriately and his teammates where getting him the puck fairly regularly. Our pl was built 100% around his shot.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Buff left because he lost his fire. More than likely due to the multiple injuries he had in his last season playing. A high ankle injury in your mid thirties doesn't heal as effectively or quickly as in your mid twenties. Added on to that is the concussion he clearly suffered in the head to head hit with Oleksiak. This thread is really just about throwing crap at Wheeler and Scheif because a kid (who I really like, btw) wanted more responsibility than the team could give him. Trouba never said he had issues with anyone in the room. He's an american who wanted to play in New York. It's just that simple. Winnipeg is a bit of a culture shock when you are used to a big american city so it's fair on his part. Not everyone is going to enjoy the cozy confines of Winnipeg.
As for Wheeler's comments that he wishes he did stuff differently with Laine, is there anyone in the world who can say they didn't make mistakes somewhere along the line when working with someone for 4+ years? Everyone does things they wish they could take back. It doesn't mean it was malicious like some people here are trying to insinuate.

Reactions: Huffer
Nov 24, 2006
It is threads like this that help create a false narrative, and then sustain that narrative. Linking the leadership abilities of Wheeler to the departure of Kane, Buff, Trouba, and Laine is not only ill informed, it's humorous.

Maybe we should be shining the spotlight on Nick Foligno in Columbus? I mean look what happened with PLD, Panarin, Duchene and Bobrovsky. You just know Foligno's toxic behaviour is behind all of this!

See how easy it is?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why are you in this thread? To argue and talk down Wheeler?

Could predict Wheeler career is going down and Laine career going up. How about you?

Nice plan to build around 34-year old.

Understand the bad feelings. I would be pissed too as a fan.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Could predict Wheeler career is going down and Laine career going up. How about you?

Not hard to see Laine as a continuous problem down the road which is why they got rid of him. They aren't building around Wheeler, they have Scheifele and Connor who are better than Laine also.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I think there were concerns. Wheeler said himself the previous offseason that he realized that he can be intense and that he had expected others to prepare for games/ how they spent their time off and taking it as seriously as he did. Mentioned he took the offseason to reflect on his leadership style and realized what he does to prepare isn't necessarily the only way to go about it , that the game has changed and the younger guys coming in have high end skill and that their path to where he is now is completely different just based on their skill and not necessarily having to grind their way into the top 6 after a few years in the A or in the bottom 6.
I think that being able to reflect on his actions, notice a problem, addressing it and being honest with himself and others is a sign of good leadership. Hopefully he's learned from that and has changed his approach, which by all accounts seems like he has. I think Laine being traded hurt him, as he seemed bothered/partially responsible for it during his interview. I don't think he way happy to see him leave.

Listening to Maurice on Overdrive, it didn't sound like Laine was ever really going to get a shot with Scheifele moving forward as they didn't like the fit last year. It does seem that Schiefele and Wheeler get a pass when they play like shit and are held to a different standard than the rest. To me that's all on Paul Maurice and not Wheeler as everyone should be accountable for their play.
Now hopefully Schiefele welcomes the competition with PLD coming in (says he's looking forward to it) rather than feeling threatened about potentially being dethroned from the 1C spot and having a young top end guy wanting another change of scenery.

Last edited:

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
If Byfuglien had a problem with the locker room and wheeler he would be playing on another team. Guy just didn't want to play hockey anymore

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I think there were concerns. Wheeler said himself the previous offseason that realized that he can be intense and that he had expected others to prepare for games/ how they spent their time off and taking it as seriously as he did. Mentioned he took the offseason to reflect on his leadership style and realized what he does to prepare isn't necessarily the only way to go about it , that the game has changed and the younger guys coming in have high end skill and that their path to where he is now is completely different just based on their skill and not necessarily having to grind their way into the top 6 after a few years in the A or in the bottom 6.
I think that being able to reflect on his actions, notice a problem, addressing it and being honest with himself and others is a sign on good leadership. Hopefully he's learned from that and has changed his approach, which by all accounts seems like he has. I think Laine being traded hurt him, as he seemed bothered/partially responsible for it during his interview. I don't think he way happy to see him leave.

Listening to Maurice on Overdrive, it didn't sound like Laine was ever really going to get a shot with Scheifele moving forward as they didn't like the fit last year. It does seem that Schiefele and Wheeler get a pass when they play like shit and are held to a different standard than the rest. To me that's all on Paul Maurice and not Wheeler as everyone should be accountable for their play.
Now hopefully Schiefele welcomes the competition with PLD coming in (says he's looking forward to it) rather than feeling threatened about potentially being dethroned from the 1C spot and having a young top end guy wanting another change of scenery.

Great analysis. This is what I have thought about the situation. Laine himself should of course shoulder some of the blame.

Reactions: Stubu

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010

How about instead of building around a 22 year old winger, they are building around a 22 year old center. It's not like we didn't get a player coming back...

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes