Is there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem ?

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Evander Kane , Laine, Byfuglien , Chiarot is just to name a few who had issues with Wheeler.

Trouba demanded a trade but that was chalked up to family reasons but who really knows.

Some post trade information is coming to light that Laine and Wheeler had major major friction.

apparently Wheeler is my way or the highway kinda leader and it gets old really fast with players.

Is this a concern for Winnipeg fans ? It certainly won’t bode well when trying to attract free agents if Wheeler keeps getting a reputation around the league.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
He seems like a leader who demands engagement and effort from everyone in the room. He also seems like a prick. I doubt he's a cancer in there, just a strong personality.

I did hear from someone with firsthand experience he was kind of a jerk to people. But sometimes that's what you need to get the best out of people.

100% Byfuglien did not leave because of Wheeler. Byfuglien was as much a leader in the locker-room as Wheeler - he left because he wanted to leave.

Chiarot? He was a UFA, got a better offer in Montreal - he wasn't getting 3 x $3.5 from the Jets.

Kane asked for a trade every year he was in Winnipeg. He wanted the bright lights and big city. And the act that precipitated him getting season-ending surgery and "quitting" on the team was Byfuglien throwing his track suit in the shower.

And that leaves us with Liane. I think that story has not yet been told. Yes Wheeler commented on having to learn different ways to reach young players. So it's possible - maybe Wheeler is the problem. Maybe it was not getting to play on the first line. Maybe it was knowing the Jets were never going to give him the $10 mil plus he was looking for.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It seems more rooted in Schiefele not wanting to play with Laine than Wheeler. Maybe the fall-out falls on Wheeler because he's close to Schiefele. But, I guess Wheeler is the easier scapegoat because he's getting older and is the captain. But, as Cheveldayof said, the analytics supported Schiefele's opinion, not Laine's.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
It seems more rooted in Schiefele not wanting to play with Laine than Wheeler. Maybe the fall-out falls on Wheeler because he's close to Schiefele. But, I guess Wheeler is the easier scapegoat because he's getting older and is the captain. But, as Cheveldayof said, the analytics supported Schiefele's opinion, not Laine's.

Tho that may be the original root of the problem, it sounds more like what drove Laine to demand a trade is the way Wheeler handled things behind the scene.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Wonder what analytics.?

It's another story are they reading the data right or wrong. And what data are they basing things. And how?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tho that may be the original root of the problem, it sounds more like what drove Laine to demand a trade is the way Wheeler handled things behind the scene.
Maybe that's the Laine camp spin, but it seems more likely Laine felt he needed to play with Schiefele to justify his contract demands.

Reactions: Flair Hay

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
He is probably a strong leader/voice in the dressing room and alot of kids nowadays cant handle that.

He seems like he is exactly what a captain should be, but things are different nowadays and people expect to be treated differently.

Jets aren’t the only team with “ kids now a days “

why isn’t there others demanding a trade.

it seems like Winnipeg has been through a lot since Wheeler was in the leadership group.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

I still laugh at this Chevy's answer.
Looking at analytic and can't seem to see which other combos are better.

And its not Connor Schiefele Wheeler.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jets aren’t the only team with “ kids now a days “

why isn’t there others demanding a trade.

it seems like Winnipeg has been through a lot since Wheeler was in the leadership group.

You're trying to make connections that aren't there. Besides, a guy like Laine isn't going to find it any easier in Columbus. Nick Foligno is cut from the same cloth Wheeler is.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Nobody even knows and nobody even cares of (Winnipeg Jets) outside Canada, that is.
Nobody, and I mean everybody, into NHL in Finland, Finland will ever never pay the amount o' money that cost to sit and watch NHL (Winnipeg) all nighters.

First you took Selänne away and throw him like a broke toy - then you took Laine offside away. And I as a Finn can't dig it. No way.

But you (Winnipeg) got your own workin' horse homegrown boy toy in instead of a star straight shooter like Laine. Good/bad luck with that.

Crossfire ... and yes sir I mean Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad