GDT: "Is There Anybody Out There?" | Oilers vs. Ducks (Part 2) | 4.22.2013 | 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.

Yandle IS a top pairing defenseman and one of the best offensive defensemen in the game although playing soft minutes does help him. If Schultz can be that good, i'm sure that we'll all be happy with that.
It's your constant nitpicking of the mistakes he makes that reeks of a ridiculous agenda. It has been pointed out to you many times that he is a kid coming straight out of college who had to adjust to an AHL schedule and now an odd, shortened NHL season schedule all in one season. He has also been given too much responsibility too soon, has a fringe NHLer as a defense partner and a clueless coach preaching some kind of system that no Oiler player has grasped so of course his mistakes are going to be magnified, no need to beat the dead horse like you've been doing with this kid.

I do know that he looked terrific in the first half of the season at both ends of the ice so the potential is obviously there to be a legit top pairing defenseman but he has a ways to go. The potential is why so many of us have him as an untouchable.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So what did yakupov do to get himself demoted off the first power play unit? he's been arguably one of the best oilers the past 15 games yet now he's on the 2nd unit. Sure seems like the first unit guys don't ever want to come off either

Maybe he should have taken penalties in his first two shifts of the game. Worked for Horcoff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.

AKA game #49 in his rookie season? That sounds about right. How quickly you forget how many minutes in ALL situations he played in OKC. He's at game #79 tonight, so yeah he's likely burned out, part of getting used to the NHL/AHL schedule, not to mention this condensed NHL season has come fast and furious, but don't take any of this into account, none of it supports your agenda.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't know what this has to do with my argument but you're right, none of them have.

Maybe he's looked rough like the rest of his fellow D because the system is VERY different from what they are used to in their hockey careers? Combine that with the fact that he is a rookie and is not used to playing so many games or as many this fast and you have a team that has thrown their hands up and given up and you have what you currently see out there.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe he's looked rough like the rest of his fellow D because the system is VERY different from what they are used to in their hockey careers? Combine that with the fact that he is a rookie and is not used to playing so many games or as many this fast and you have a team that has thrown their hands up and given up and you have what you currently see out there.

Man, Hemsky would totally play 500 games in a season and still be fresh for 500 more. Hemsky = God. :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jerred Smithson is creating jobs for hardworking Canadians. What's your problem?

Smithson's heart is likely with his wife and newborn, I doubt that this is him at his best, that said I wouldn't be sad to see him gone in the offseason. Fistric on the other hand should be playing tonight over Whitney who is as good as gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland