Is there any player currently in the NHL you would trade Toews for?

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
How about if we drafted Malkin, Crosby then Toews but missed out on Kane. Even then without goaltending, Defense and contributing 3rd and 4th lines you can't win a Cup in this league.

Hawks are at a perfect place right now with their captain and fellow leaders.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
why ? even if he's (?) better player.Hawks won recently 2xSC with Toews, 0 with Crosby.No reason for such trade.

Winning the Cup is a team activity. You're building a strawman argument, because no other player has had the opportunity to win a Cup with the Hawks as the #1 center. By your thought process - you wouldn't trade Toews for a prime Lemiuex, Gretzky or Messier because the Hawks had already won with JT and hadn't yet with those guys.

Just IMO, outside of the health issues, Crosby is a significantly better player than JT. Given the injury risk though, I can completely understand the reasoning though behind sticking with JT. That doesn't mean thought that JT is an equivelant or better player, just that the injury risk means we're happy with Toews.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Trade him for last year's reg season version of him...because this year's loliggagging in the d-zone version of reg season Johnny looks like he will be way off that +28 Selke winner guy...of course Johhny playoff stinker version who could not score a lick till the verry end IF replace this yr by another Conn Smyth version of Johnny would make accdoting reg season Johnny Meh much more palatable. IF he ever strings both grade A versions into the same reg season and playoffs. ...THEN even posting this thread tkpic would be ridiculous...butbwith Jekyll and Hyde Johnny alternating versions,I vuess the topic is.legitimate for discussion...point is our Cap'n ain't quite mzde it to God status...not that perfected state...yet! BUT we can hope! Meanwhile as Saviour only..I guess he will have to do...bit until we get grade A Johnny for BOTH reg season and playoffs, the criticism of flawed performances shall continue when deserved. Like only +2.from HIM sofar? NOT THAT PRAISEWORTHY..he has flaws that require IMPROVEMENT so do not make him out as an untouchable uncriticizeable player... We want and need a Grade A Johnny...not the I can slack off in the d-zone or get off only 2 shots version ee have seen too much of in the first 15 GP so far...the odd 3 goal 1 a game is not good enough to wipe out the 0 pts or just 1a games and the miniscule barely positive ES stats..we need a better Jonny to show up..he is hardly a God off this performance so far.. BUT afew more multi-point games coming more often and amore ES plus games more often and we might wamt to start deifying him..till then he is fodder for criticism like any underachiever to his own top stamdards.SHOULD be...ask the topic questio after the playoffs this season..If Jonny just ok continues the rest of the way...then we might start looking for an answer to the topic question...meanwhile we hope our Johnny can elevate to where we expect him to be...but that also goes for everyone else on the team.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Trade him for last year's reg season version of him...because this year's loliggagging in the d-zone version of reg season Johnny looks like he will be way off that +28 Selke winner guy...of course Johhny playoff stinker version who could not score a lick till the verry end IF replace this yr by another Conn Smyth version of Johnny would make accdoting reg season Johnny Meh much more palatable. IF he ever strings both grade A versions into the same reg season and playoffs. ...THEN even posting this thread tkpic would be ridiculous...butbwith Jekyll and Hyde Johnny alternating versions,I vuess the topic is.legitimate for discussion...point is our Cap'n ain't quite mzde it to God status...not that perfected state...yet! BUT we can hope! Meanwhile as Saviour only..I guess he will have to do...bit until we get grade A Johnny for BOTH reg season and playoffs, the criticism of flawed performances shall continue when deserved. Like only +2.from HIM sofar? NOT THAT PRAISEWORTHY..he has flaws that require IMPROVEMENT so do not make him out as an untouchable uncriticizeable player... We want and need a Grade A Johnny...not the I can slack off in the d-zone or get off only 2 shots version ee have seen too much of in the first 15 GP so far...the odd 3 goal 1 a game is not good enough to wipe out the 0 pts or just 1a games and the miniscule barely positive ES stats..we need a better Jonny to show up..he is hardly a God off this performance so far.. BUT afew more multi-point games coming more often and amore ES plus games more often and we might wamt to start deifying him..till then he is fodder for criticism like any underachiever to his own top stamdards.SHOULD be...ask the topic questio after the playoffs this season..If Jonny just ok continues the rest of the way...then we might start looking for an answer to the topic question...meanwhile we hope our Johnny can elevate to where we expect him to be...but that also goes for everyone else on the team.

I only had to read 2 lines of this (I challenge anyone to read further then two lines without stabbing their eyes out with a fork) to realize you should follow abother team. Loligagging? Give me a break. Maybe one day you will learn to appreciate a little bit more what you have in this team as well as learning to space your posts so they are remotely possible to read.

LandofLincoln*

There is no player including Crosby that I would trade even for right now. That's not because there is no one better but because there is no better fit for the Hawks and their team chemistry. If you asked me who I would take if I was starting an expansion team and could start with any one player that player would be Crosby.

Exactly you have to look at the roster. Starting an expansion team from nothing it is a no brainer Crosby & Stamkos are ahead in that situation.

Because the Blackhawks are fielding a team with 2 Cup wins if you asked me if I would trade Stamkos for Toews straight up or Crosby for Toews straight up. Well for Stamkos I would not, but for Crosby I would.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I wouldn't start with Stamkos too. I'd rather have that "leader" and Two Way guy. I'd take Crosby and Toews for sure over him. Maybe even Malkin and I don't like Malkin.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't understand the "Injury Risk" with Sid in this thread, or discussion in general. Yes, he's gotten concussions but lets not pretend concussions aren't this extremely common thing that can happen to any player at any time. It's not like Crosby is skating around full speed with his head down through the neutral zone every night.

Getting a concussion is irrelevant/common enough to not have any place in this hypothetical trade decision making process IMO. There is no "injury risk".

Taking that out of the equation, there is no way you don't trade Toews for Crosby. Crosby on this Hawks team, passing to any of Kane, Hossa, Sharp, etc... would be so ridiculously unfair. Look what he's doing with Dupuis and -insert non-top 6 player here-.

Especially since Toew's next cap hit will most likely be equal to/more than Crosby's, there is no way Bowman turns that trade down.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
I only had to read 2 lines of this (I challenge anyone to read further then two lines without stabbing their eyes out with a fork) to realize you should follow abother team. Loligagging? Give me a break. Maybe one day you will learn to appreciate a little bit more what you have in this team as well as learning to space your posts so they are remotely possible to read.

Couldn't do it. I read 1 line then went and looked at my wife's 4th graders spelling tests...easier to read. :amazed:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I don't understand the "Injury Risk" with Sid in this thread, or discussion in general. Yes, he's gotten concussions but lets not pretend concussions aren't this extremely common thing that can happen to any player at any time. It's not like Crosby is skating around full speed with his head down through the neutral zone every night.

Getting a concussion is irrelevant/common enough to not have any place in this hypothetical trade decision making process IMO. There is no "injury risk".

Taking that out of the equation, there is no way you don't trade Toews for Crosby. Crosby on this Hawks team, passing to any of Kane, Hossa, Sharp, etc... would be so ridiculously unfair. Look what he's doing with Dupuis and -insert non-top 6 player here-.

Especially since Toew's next cap hit will most likely be equal to/more than Crosby's, there is no way Bowman turns that trade down.

Concussion history, i.e. history of receiving them, is absolutely relevant.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Well the easy answer is no, there's nobody today I would trade straight up for Toews. Not today.

There are only two players that I would even remotely consider for it. Crosby and Ovechkin. Yes both have health or other issues but so do 99% of NHL players. I don't subscribe to the "they didn't lead their teams to the Cup" argument either. One guy can't do it himself all the time, there has to be a supporting cast.

Crosby will probably go down as one of the best ever, despite his whiny attitude. And while Ovechkin sometimes has poor games, when he's "on" he's a monster offensively and can flatten people as well. His defensive game was poor for years but being here in the DC area I've seen dozens of games with him and he's improved a lot.

All that being said, those are the only two that I'd even remotely consider could replace Toews...but I'd leave him where he is. Scorer, defender, good on faceoffs, good leadership. I'll keep him.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Concussions are considered a cumulative effect...meaning each one you get makes it more likely you'll get another and it will probably be worse than the last one. That being said - Crosby missed what, a year and a half from that nasty concussion? The next hit to his head could be the end of his NHL career. You just don't know.

Say Hey Kid

We retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Concussions are considered a cumulative effect...meaning each one you get makes it more likely you'll get another and it will probably be worse than the last one. That being said - Crosby missed what, a year and a half from that nasty concussion? The next hit to his head could be the end of his NHL career. You just don't know.
Agreed. I thought everyone knew this. I'm not trading my Captain who has won 2 Cups in 4 years for a guy who is one hit away from retirement and who combined with Malkin to score 0 points and a -7 +/- in their last playoff series. They couldn't muster 1 assist combined in an entire series!?! Where's the heart and never say die attitude?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
RE from HF 50 diatribe: "We want and need a Grade A Johnny"

And we always get it when it's needed most. When the games are on the line or the PO's are here.

I repeat when I say, the schedule is too grueling to expect Grade A Jonny throughout it (same with any player). The good thing is: Toew's poor game is usually better than most of the league on a typical night. He is as clutch as they come - the last player on this team you should be complaining about.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Concussion history, i.e. history of receiving them, is absolutely relevant.

Toews has had 3-4 himself though. As others have pointed out, Crosby's last concussion was weird in that he also had some sort of spine issue that the doctors somehow didn't see.

Anyway, I agree with most here that Crosby is the only player even worth considering.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
RE from HF 50 diatribe: "We want and need a Grade A Johnny"

And we always get it when it's needed most. When the games are on the line or the PO's are here.

I repeat when I say, the schedule is too grueling to expect Grade A Jonny throughout it (same with any player). The good thing is: Toew's poor game is usually better than most of the league on a typical night. He is as clutch as they come - the last player on this team you should be complaining about.

Exactly. He had a pretty bad 5 game stretch this season (for him) and he's still right around PPG, an outstanding possession player, a valuable PKer, and brings that consistent, lead by example work ethic to the ice. Let's not forget that October has always been his worst month as an NHLer. If the first 15 games are his floor this year, he'll have another great season.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
you'd trade him for Stamkos or Malkin? you'd trade him for OV when we already have Kane/Hossa/Sharp and Saad?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I don't think it is fair to compare Toews as the Hawks Captain to other players. If you are talking about trading Toews the Captain then you are going to be looking for a whole different skill set to replace than just him as a player.

As a player, there are several players that are more skilled in certain areas than Toews,they have already been mentioned. His defense is the best or close to it for a center of his offensive ability, that sets him in a different category than most.

I can't think of one other player that can replace Toews as the Captain and leader of the team and brings more to the table than him. I think that Crosby would flush out to be about the same when everything is added up and why would you trade a player without getting an advantage?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
You don't trade Tazer because you don't fix what's not broken.

I wouldn't trade Toews for both Malkin and Crosby if I was Bowman and the offer came to me... Why? because the Hawks are winning cups right now with what they have.... The goal is to win cups right? well the Hawks are doing that....

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Toews has had 3-4 himself though. As others have pointed out, Crosby's last concussion was weird in that he also had some sort of spine issue that the doctors somehow didn't see.

Anyway, I agree with most here that Crosby is the only player even worth considering.

Crosby plays too hard, AO as well and they're going to have short careers...

All these "power forwards" last 10-years at best...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad