Is there any player currently in the NHL you would trade Toews for?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
There's only 1 name that's certifiably more skilled and that's Crosby. Toews is right in the rest of the mix with Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos and St. Louis. The reporters and those who vote on awards and so on are puting Toews in the conversation with Crosby as the best in the game right now.

Jonathon is young, has a an incredible, unmatched reputation with his team-mates and the city (even moreso than Crosby in Pittsburgh). He has won 2 cups. Is still young. There's no way in heck you trade Toews to ANYONE - no matter who it is. Jonathon's place in Chicago is gold, diamonds and that rare "untouchable" status.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
You wouldn't trade for the best player in the world? OK then. Keep dreaming Toews is better than even Crosby. Let's not forget he's also had a major concussion so it's not like there are zero health concerns with Toews either.

I never said that Toews is better than Crosby.

I said that as a Blackhawk fan I want Toews over Crosby. Every day, all day.

BTW, Toews is a more complete player. He is better defensively.

I'd also argue that he's a better leader. A better captain.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
So delusional. Won't take a consistent 50-goal scorer and Tavares isn't even close?? Most laughable.

Now don't get me wrong: Toews is a fantastic player but to say he is better than Stamkos and Tavares is not even close to him is just plain ridiculous.

Well, I can understand why people would say Toews is better than Stamkos. I personally think Stamkos is better - but really a lot of it depends on how highly you rate the difference in their offense - do you think that the difference, which is in Stamkos' favour, makes up for Toews' superiority in other aspects of the game. I think it does - but many (probably most) others here wouldn't agree - and it's not like that's out to lunch or anything - it's understandable why others wouldn't agree that Stamkos' offense compensates for Toews' strength in other areas.

I don't understand why you'd think Tavares is better than Toews (and Tavares is one of my favourite players in the game). To the extent you could argue there is an aspect of Tavares' game which is superior, it would be his offense. However, at this point it's not a very big difference - and the rest of Toews' game is a lot better.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Elite goal scoring, PPG production, Selke caliber defense, pretty much the only player who has done this is Datsyuk and he's too old. Probably pull the trigger on Crosby, he's just too good, but nobody else.

Bingo. Crosby is the only player I would definitely consider. If Dats was younger, he as well. Anyone who understands hockey can probably see why.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I take Crosby or Stamkos without thinking.
I'm not convinced Toews will hold up any better than Crosby because of playing style.

I don't consider that a knock on Toews. Stamkos is the best at doing the single most difficult thing to do in the game, he's durable, and improving and I think you have to take the most talented player in the league if given the chance when it comes to Crosby.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
So delusional. Won't take a consistent 50-goal scorer and Tavares isn't even close?? Most laughable.

Now don't get me wrong: Toews is a fantastic player but to say he is better than Stamkos and Tavares is not even close to him is just plain ridiculous.

I actually think you're delusional at this point. This isn't a thread about who is better, which has been consistently pointed out to you, it's a thread about what player you would trade Toews for.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
There is no player including Crosby that I would trade even for right now. That's not because there is no one better but because there is no better fit for the Hawks and their team chemistry. If you asked me who I would take if I was starting an expansion team and could start with any one player that player would be Crosby.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Nope.

I don't care if Crosby is more talented. More talent does not automatically translate into more cups.

Toews' overall game is unmatched in the league right now in my opinion.
Scoring, defense, faceoffs, etc.

FakeKidPoker*

There are a bunch of players better than Toews but why break up such a great thing?

If Crosby is healthy for the rest of his career well you have to make that trade.

FakeKidPoker*

Nope.

I don't care if Crosby is more talented. More talent does not automatically translate into more cups.

Toews' overall game is unmatched in the league right now in my opinion.
Scoring, defense, faceoffs, etc.

The only thing Toews beats Crosby right now in I believe by a large margin is defense... Crosby obviously destroys Toews offensively who has never been a PPG over a full year... faceoffs are write off..

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
nope, no way. he is irreplaceable IMO in terms of leadership. I'm already planning the day he reitires to be the saddest day of my hockey watching career haha

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I wouldn't do it but if you think about it, the Penguins have surrounded Crosby with guys Kunitz and Dupuis. Imagine what he could with us, we have already seen a small sample size of Crosby with Hossa in 2008. Lets just say it would be an offer I would not reject so quickly, we are after all talking about the best player in the game.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
There are a bunch of players better than Toews but why break up such a great thing?

If Crosby is healthy for the rest of his career well you have to make that trade.

Good post. I'd take Crosby as well and wouldn't think twice about it. After that, it starts to get a lot tougher.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Stamkos is exactly the player that wouldn't help us. We score enough goals as it is... why should we add a guy that is only good - maybe the best - at scoring goals? Who'd play D and take the important faceoffs ;)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
PR wise, Crosby would do more over the next 10 years ;)

I still say I'd consider Crosby, but nobody else and would still think long about Crosby

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Look, I love Toews. He's my favorite active player in any sport, and with the possible exception of Ryne Sandberg, my favorite player I've ever seen play.

But yeah, I would trade him for Crosby. Toews is in the HoF discussion, Crosby's in the GOAT discussion (note: I'm not saying he is the greatest of all time, though).

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I still say don't mess with success. We have won 2 cups with Toews, might not have any if Crosby was on the team instead of Jonny.

Crosby is definitely the better talent, but for us I would rather have Toews. He brings us more than points, things that don't show on the scoresheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad