Is there any player currently in the NHL you would trade Toews for?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares I would take over Toews.

The premise of this thread - that Toews is the best player in the world - is just, well, not right.

I see nothing in this thread declaring Toews the best player in world ,, Might want to re-read it again

And Tavares + Stamkos ahead of Toews :biglaugh:

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
I understand we're all Hawks fans, so I can see the natural bias towards our own guy, but really? Relying on vague, unquantifiable things like "innate quality to will a team over any obstacle?" I've never been able to buy reasoning like that. If Toews had some incredible quality like that, the Hawks would never lose playoff series. Toews would always just "will" them to victory. But they have lost plenty with him on the team - so why give him credit for an (admittedly very good) comeback and diminish Crosby for a bad series? Toews has had plenty of bad series... he had more bad ones than good ones even just this past spring.

For comparison's sake, Crosby has "led" his team back from a 2-game deficit in a playoff series as well, and that was against a much better version of the Wings than the Hawks faced last year.

Well lets look at Toews first 6 years in the league:

Rookie year: an improvement of 17 points from the previous year, miss the playoffs by 3 points and that's when the team had like an 8 game losing streak cause he was injured during that streak.

2nd year- 104 points, conference finals appearance,

3rd year- Wins a Cup

4th year- we lost half our team, go up against a 117 point powerhouse in the Canucks fall behind 3-0, he helps us get it to game 7 in OT by scoring the tying goal late in regulation.

5th year- I'll admit we lost to a team we shouldn't have but Toews probably shouldn't have played in that series with his concussion symptoms not completely settled I give him a pass.

6th year- Stanley Cup again, a 3-1 comeback and a 2-1 comeback as well as beating the defending Cup champs.

My point is the Hawks with Toews leading the way have never melted down in a playoff series where as Crosby against the Flyers and Bruins has done that. Hawks have always played with pride and resiliency even when they lost.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Well lets look at Toews first 6 years in the league:

Rookie year: an improvement of 17 points from the previous year, miss the playoffs by 3 points and that's when the team had like an 8 game losing streak cause he was injured during that streak.

2nd year- 104 points, conference finals appearance,

3rd year- Wins a Cup

4th year- we lost half our team, go up against a 117 point powerhouse in the Canucks fall behind 3-0, he helps us get it to game 7 in OT by scoring the tying goal late in regulation.

5th year- I'll admit we lost to a team we shouldn't have but Toews probably shouldn't have played in that series with his concussion symptoms not completely settled I give him a pass.

6th year- Stanley Cup again, a 3-1 comeback and a 2-1 comeback as well as beating the defending Cup champs.

My point is the Hawks with Toews leading the way have never melted down in a playoff series where as Crosby against the Flyers and Bruins has done that. Hawks have always played with pride and resiliency even when they lost.

Your points individually aren't really arguable (they're just facts, after all), but the premise behind them is faulty. It doesn't make sense to compare individual players based on their team's success - and definitely not in the NHL, where having a good team (as opposed to just one or two great players) is more key to success than in any other major sport in North America.
Essentially, you're giving Toews credit for having a better supporting cast, system, and coach (the last two are especially relevant here).

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I see nothing in this thread declaring Toews the best player in world ,, Might want to re-read it again

And Tavares + Stamkos ahead of Toews :biglaugh:

I read the title as a foregone conclusion - is there any player you would take over Toews - rather than a question. C'mon, let's get real here, unless you're a die-hard Hawks fan, Stamkos or Tavares over Toews.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I read the title as a foregone conclusion - is there any player you would take over Toews - rather than a question. C'mon, let's get real here, unless you're a die-hard Hawks fan, Stamkos or Tavares over Toews.

Ah, the Islanders' JT, my favorite...
The hype for Tavares was ridiculous a year ago and it's just gotten worse. You'd think he was putting up Crosby numbers the way people talk about him, and yet he's actually just one of many ~PPG forwards.
Hey wait, so is Toews! Bizarre, huh?
Take into account Toews is a much better player in the other 2 zones of the ice, and... well. Enough said.

Stamkos is an incredibly one-dimensional scorer that would not make any sense on a possession team like the Hawks. This isn't a discussion of "who is the better player," it's a discussion of "is there any player in the league that you'd swap Toews for to play #1C on Chicago?"
Crosby makes sense because he is not only the best player in the league, but the best possession player as well... and can actually play some defense. Wouldn't be out of place on the Hawks.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Ah, the Islanders' JT, my favorite...
The hype for Tavares was ridiculous a year ago and it's just gotten worse. You'd think he was putting up Crosby numbers the way people talk about him, and yet he's actually just one of many ~PPG forwards.
Hey wait, so is Toews! Bizarre, huh?
Take into account Toews is a much better player in the other 2 zones of the ice, and... well. Enough said.

Stamkos is an incredibly one-dimensional scorer that would not make any sense on a possession team like the Hawks. This isn't a discussion of "who is the better player," it's a discussion of "is there any player in the league that you'd swap Toews for to play #1C on Chicago?"
Crosby makes sense because he is not only the best player in the league, but the best possession player as well... and can actually play some defense. Wouldn't be out of place on the Hawks.

Stamkos isn't just a scorer - he's also got really good play making skills - he's very underrated in that regard. Goal scoring tends to be his main thing - but it's not the only thing he's good at. His defensive game leaves something to be desired though.

He'd probably play well with a guy like Kane...they'd be exciting together.

I don't think Tavares is a better player than Toews at this point - he's weaker defensively and while I think he's more offensively skilled, the difference between the two isn't great enough to make up the difference in their offense.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Crosby knowing he will be healthy for the POs. I still wouldn't like that trade but thats the only guy. Glad this won't happen.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Your points individually aren't really arguable (they're just facts, after all), but the premise behind them is faulty. It doesn't make sense to compare individual players based on their team's success - and definitely not in the NHL, where having a good team (as opposed to just one or two great players) is more key to success than in any other major sport in North America.
Essentially, you're giving Toews credit for having a better supporting cast, system, and coach (the last two are especially relevant here).

I think the point he was trying to make is that it is hard to imagine the Hawks having any more success replacing Toews with any other player. As Bring Back GLR showed, the Hawks have been extremely successful ever since Toews has donned the indian head, and it would be very difficult for any replacement to have more team success than Toews has had. How much of that success can be attributed to Toews is, of course, a matter of debate, but it is a debate that cannot have a definite answer. Without a definite answer, why would we trade Toews for any other player? Especially since the only player in the league that is head and shoulders better than him has had significant injury troubles over the last few years.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
This team has leadership in spades, trading Toews for Crosby isn't going to mean diddly in the leadership department. With Crosby being locked up for 10 years or whatever at 8.7M, it makes it a no brainer to trade Toews for Crosby.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
@Chelios, yeah that's pretty much the point I was trying to get across, I kinda rambled in my post but the Hawks really couldn't ask for more success as an organization. Toews will never win an Art Ross or a Rocket Richard trophy but he's already come through in spades. If the Hawks were to repeat this year and Toews had a Conn Smythe playoff I think you'd almost have to start building a bust in Toronto for the man.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Stamkos isn't just a scorer - he's also got really good play making skills - he's very underrated in that regard. Goal scoring tends to be his main thing - but it's not the only thing he's good at. His defensive game leaves something to be desired though.

He'd probably play well with a guy like Kane...they'd be exciting together.

I don't think Tavares is a better player than Toews at this point - he's weaker defensively and while I think he's more offensively skilled, the difference between the two isn't great enough to make up the difference in their offense.

I wouldn't take Stamkos over Toews and I love Stamkos. Tavares isn't even close.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares I would take over Toews.

The premise of this thread - that Toews is the best player in the world - is just, well, not right.

The oremise of the thread is not who is the best player.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

I started the thread and it was not meant to say Toews was the best player in the world. It was simply a question about if there was one player right now you would trade him for, looking at all he brings to the Blackhawks. Talent and skill wise he is great but I don't think anyone would call Toews the most talented. Probably top 10 talent-wise.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Elite goal scoring, PPG production, Selke caliber defense, pretty much the only player who has done this is Datsyuk and he's too old. Probably pull the trigger on Crosby, he's just too good, but nobody else.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
I'm sorry, how is this disparaging Toews in any way? Read my original post, wtf

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically as you stated that you wouldn't trade him for anybody.

It's more derision directed at the "fantasy hockey" or "NHL 14" type discussions that are sure to follow as if you can just trade for the player with higher ratings and your team will automatically be better. As if the new player can just assume the role of the departed, but with more skill.

The biggest thing that bugs me though with these discussions is the lack of loyalty. So many seem to be ready to send away players at the drop of a hat. Players that have won 2 Cups and changed the culture of Blackhawk hockey.

Are there really Hawks fans who would trade away Toews for Crosby if it was offered tomorrow?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I wouldn't take Stamkos over Toews and I love Stamkos. Tavares isn't even close.
So delusional. Won't take a consistent 50-goal scorer and Tavares isn't even close?? Most laughable.

Now don't get me wrong: Toews is a fantastic player but to say he is better than Stamkos and Tavares is not even close to him is just plain ridiculous.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Are there really Hawks fans who would trade away Toews for Crosby if it was offered tomorrow?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

You wouldn't trade for the best player in the world? OK then. Keep dreaming Toews is better than even Crosby. Let's not forget he's also had a major concussion so it's not like there are zero health concerns with Toews either.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You wouldn't trade for the best player in the world? OK then. Keep dreaming Toews is better than even Crosby. Let's not forget he's also had a major concussion so it's not like there are zero health concerns with Toews either.

You're arguing something nobody has said. If we are talking about building a team from scratch Crosby is the clear answer.

To the Chicago Blackhawks Toews simply is the most valuable piece in hockey.

LandofLincoln*

Stamkos & Crosby I would take before Toews.

Ovechkin, Tavares & Kesel are guys I would take after Toews.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
This team has leadership in spades, trading Toews for Crosby isn't going to mean diddly in the leadership department. With Crosby being locked up for 10 years or whatever at 8.7M, it makes it a no brainer to trade Toews for Crosby.

except for the whole health issue...

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
except for the whole health issue...
Most of that was because the idiot Pens doctors somehow missed a broken neck...

Since coming back at the end of 2011-2012 he hasn't had any issues outside of the broken jaw, which was a complete fluke. Toews has missed time with concussions and has 4 or 5 on his record as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad