Is there an urgent need to acquire a Defenseman?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly even if we miss but play well were in a rebuild not retool and we need good picks and ice time for young players/rookies. As long as I see progress I'm happy.

Although I kinda hope we get the cardiac kids again xD

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I picked no.

I think yes, we need to address the defense situation. But I don't really want us to have a short term solution to it. And I don't think we are in dier need to have one NOW.

I want us to pick up a D man, but don't want us to throw away prospects/players for a short term solution. The Sens are still in a rebuild, and so why not see how the guys do, and if a great deal comes up for a younger but top 4 D man. Go for it!

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I think Lundin is an underrated pickup. Benoit-Wiercioch will be good enough for the time being. From all accounts the market for defenseman is thin.

Question is, is there an urgent need to add Kent Huskins or Chris Campoli. Easy answer. Hell no. We are rebuilding and have the best prospects in the league, we should use them.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
A minimal signing like grabbing Mark Eaton would satisfy me.

Obviously we will need a couple defencemen much better than Eaton going forward, but the current situation with our club commands at least a stop-gap solution.

This is a thread to re-visit in 1 or 2 weeks.

I believe Wiercioch is a lot more prepared to play minutes than some here are giving him credit for. Boro I can see being kept here for the time being to see whether he or Benoit will be heading back to Bingo. I would say this is Wierciochs' time to become a full-time NHL player.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes a little adversity can rally a team.

Back in 2007, we had injuries galore around Christmas and that's when the team started to turn it around.

I think it's a bit premature to make a move without giving the young guys a shot.

Injuries always represent an opportunity to see a glimpse of the future.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Wait and see. I'm ok with missing the playoffs in the name of development and a higher Draft pick if that's how it turns out. If they make it, even better.

This is a team that has a lot of promise for the future. Sure they can compete right now but with their strengths behind the blue line going forward, the optimal peak is a few years away. I would rather take a hit now by potentially missing the playoffs, then give up something valuable in futures.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not a fan of short term fix. I'd like a guy who can contribute over time and fits the re-build. Play the Bingo stars and give them a shot. Lundin is back in a month as well.

We'd only be spending assets other teams would love to have next year on their roster, likely from Binghamton. Keep developing our guys and we'll be okay.

That said, if an elite D was available at or before the deadline, I'd listen.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I'd like to see someone brought in so we can give Bingo a break, nothing major, just a fill in guy.

I was hoping we'd snag somebody off the waiver wire, but the pickings (pass the Islanders) have been pretty slim.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I love how everyone is saying Wiercioch is a 4/5 of a top 6 guy. I'll be the first to admit that he has played very well for us down in Bingo this season. But let's see how he plays first before we start putting him as #4 NHL D-man. Let's be honest, going into this season in October, if I told you that Patrick Wiercioch was Ottawa's 4th defenseman I bet a lot of yes's would be checked on this poll.

The depth on D right now is suspect. Sure you can fill it with call-ups if you desire. I have no doubt that Boro and Wiercioch and Benoit can fill in temporarily. But like someone said, in a shortened season is this really want you want to do? Especially when someone like Campoli or Jucina is sitting out there. Making a small signing like that for a bottom pairing defenseman makes sense.

It does two things, one, it adds stability to the NHL club with a reliable body that can fill in and ride pine when Lundin comes back. Two, it adds stability to your AHL farm club but getting one or two of their top defensive players back in the lineup. That will help develop your players/prospects even more. Look at the season that Bingo is having. This could end up paying HUGE dividend if we keep rolling. Look at the talent that came out of that first Calder Cup. Imagine doing that again, Ottawa's depth has no where to go but up.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The concern is not just whether the current holes can be filled by any 2 of 4 Bingo guys (Benoit, Boro, PW, Gryba) but what happens if they sustain another injury to a vet especially before Lundin is back.

Personally I'm really hoping that PW and Boro can pull their weight and win regular spots given that there will be more holes to fill next year and the next.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I understand where you are coming from source but I honestly believe Wiercioch is better than any other defender we could get for a fill-in role. He has been Bingo's best all-around player arguably let alone defender and I think he can handle it.

This. I have some faith in Wiercioch and we took time to develop him (We drafted him 4.5 years ago). He finally put some strenght on his tall body so I think it's the perfect timing for him to start his NHL career.

He already looked fine 2 years ago in his 8 NHL games, so added strenght and experience should help him even more. If we had Cowen as a 20 y/o rookie (Wier is 22) playing a huge role on a playoffs team, why can't we go with Wiercioch? If he is not ready for #4/5 minutes (which he will share with Phillips), then have him as our 6th/7th guy and go grab another D-man via trade.

I don't see the reason to panic

This is way too black and white.

I totally agree if you quote only the first 2 sentences of my post! However, when you read my entire post, I disagree ;)

Apparently not, that's why all 3 AHL d man are staying put for now..

Well, in reality it's only 1 AHL D-man... Andre Benoit

Others are prospects that the Sens brass (and many Sens fans) see as having a future in the NHL...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NO ... we have the prospects that could do the job at the NHL level for what this team needs. IMO Wiercioch fills the PMD & adds some offence & at some point I hope they give Gryba RD a shot. He will add size, toughness, blocked shots, stability & along with Phillips could be a shutdown tandem & hopefully reduce the goals against.

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Gonchar
Phillips - Gryba .............. Lundin/Boroweicki

At the trade deadline trade Bishop for a 2nd rd pick.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We can't go into a season with the intention of tanking; things are different around the trade deadline when you have to decide to be a buyer or a seller, but to start a season your objective should be to put together the best team possible.

Losing Cowen for the season is huge (literally!). Now with Lundin hurt as well we have two top-6 Ds people missing, and they should be replaced. It's ok to rely on the farm for one of them, but two is pushing it, especially to start the season. What do we do in case of more injuries?

I want us to be in a situation where prospects force their way into the team, not just benefit from injuries and lack of depth. Right now we're in the former situation when it comes to our forwards but not when it comes to our defense.

I wouldn't trade for a D though; I would only get one if there's one available in free agency. We have plenty of room under the cap, let's use it. And if we're sellers at the deadline, that's one more asset that can be used for our rebuild.

source

Jul 13, 2008
The organization doesn't seem to think so.

Murray might be holding out for a strong offer for Bishop or Andy.

It's a no-brainer that our defence is a problem right now, but I can understand why Murray isn't opting for a quick fix if he's looking to trade for a top4 guy.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Why sign Campoli?? Some of the people here have terrible memories... Mediocre defensively and barely interesting offensively.

Either go high end or not at all.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Why sign Campoli?? Some of the people here have terrible memories... Mediocre defensively and barely interesting offensively.

Either go high end or not at all.

People just want a one year stop gap.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Murray might be holding out for a strong offer for Bishop or Andy.

It's a no-brainer that our defence is a problem right now, but I can understand why Murray isn't opting for a quick fix if he's looking to trade for a top4 guy.

In the sense that we are missing Cowen there is a slight issue. But Lundin will not be gone for that long and there are players who can fill 5-6 role in our system right now. Wiercioch can also hold his own in the top 4.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
And another point -> this is Alfredsson's last year. Don't tell me we're gonna **** him over just 'cause we want to see how Wiercioch looks in the NHL.

Do you actually think we're one defenceman away from contending? Let's be realistic about where this team is at. This is year two of a retooling project. Alfie knew what he was signing up for when he came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad