Is there an urgent need to acquire a Defenseman?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It'll be nice when we can put Lundin on the 3rd pairing.

Yes and he will help solidify that 4th/5th spot...

1-Karlsson
2-Gonchar
3-Methot
4-Phillips/Lundin
5-Phillips/Lundin
6-Wiercioch/Benoit/Borowiecki/Gryba
7-Wiercioch/Benoit/Borowiecki/Gryba

Not as bas as some people make it out to be. Our defense with Cowen would be really good IMO. Can't afford another injury in that top-5 though

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
We will fight the margin to make the playoffs this year. It doesn't make sense to leave our defense the way it is given that.

Maybe I'm really underrating the Bingo guys, we'll see.

Still sticking to my guns..Andre is solid, Boro and Patty need more time..

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I still think we might need to make a move for a defenceman at some point this season, not because I don't think the current group can't handle it, but because we're playing a condensed season... and in a condensed season, there are always WAY more injuries than normal. Plus, when you DO have an injury, they end up missing more games than they would because there's almost one game every two nights, rather than having longer breaks in between games for injuries to heal.

So yeah. I still think we need a defenceman, but only because I don't think we're going to be so lucky that we'll avoid injury, and if any of our top-4 gets hurt for a significant period of time, we're going to be reeeeeeal thin back there.

You make an excellent point and the same can be said for many teams.

Even though I am not one of the people believing the Sens are significantly thinner on D than most teams, after watching parts of 4 or 5 games D looks like it is going to be a most sought after commodity, if the first game is any measuring stick.

So if Murray can move Bishop or any redundant asset(s) for a younger proven D, then I think he should before the price for these assets goes through the roof.

That said, I thought the Sens D performed pretty well, specially given there were three new pairing combinations.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Still sticking to my guns..Andre is solid, Boro and Patty need more time..

Not a knock on Benoit's offensive ability, but he lacks the size and physicality the Sens need in a 5/6 guy.

IMO Benoit's skills make him one of those players that has to compete for a 1-4 role at the NHL level and I just don't think he is good enough to replace Karlsson, Methot, Gonchar, or Phillips.

I also thought PW played quite well with Gonchar, so would hope Murray/MacLean stick with him.

While I do believe Benoit is a more complete player than Boro, I would also like to see Boro replace Benoit for the Florida game, bring a little more of an edge to the 3rd pairing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would rather Yandle than Subban and I bet the price is relatively similar.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
We need a third option on the poll...Too early to tell.

One game against a mediocre team is not a large enough sample size to understand what we currently have in our system.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
We need a third option on the poll...Too early to tell.

One game against a mediocre team is not a large enough sample size to understand what we currently have in our system.

Yeah I have to agree, a few games against Boston, Philly, NYR and Pittsburgh should really show us what the D is made of.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We are missing Cowen this year and have to replace (presumably) Gonchar next year when Cowen is back. I think we do have a need at D. Plus, who knows when Phillips falls off the cliff. Could be 1 year, could be 6.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
We are missing Cowen this year and have to replace (presumably) Gonchar next year when Cowen is back. I think we do have a need at D. Plus, who knows when Phillips falls off the cliff. Could be 1 year, could be 6.

We need another D. Any long term injuries to Gonchar, EK or Methot and we're in trouble.

Think of the Bishop trade. We had Lehner as the backup but Murray was too afraid to have an injury to Lehner that he went to get Bishop instead of Auld as the main guy.

He may have overpaid for Bishop (2nd instead of 3rd) but we made the playoffs because of him. The requested price was worth it.

Same thing with our current D.

I just want to have a 2nd pairing coming in instead of 3rd pairing. We can always get equal (good) value back for a 2nd pairing D if we don't need him.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I just want to have a 2nd pairing coming in instead of 3rd pairing. We can always get equal value back for a 2nd pairing D if we don't need him.
Agree. I also think we have some assets (Bishop, Da Costa) that would appeal to some teams.

I'm not even a big Gonchar fan and I was saying "oh, ****" when he went off yesterday. We're really thin now and also have a need next year. I would like to see us add a good 2nd pairing guy.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
It's not an emergency but it is needed. I would say it's urgent.

I'm sure Murray hopes this patchwork will work long enough for him to make a reasonable deal. It it comes to the point where it is obvious the defence doesnt work, then any trade is going to be an expensive one to make.

The defence wasn't so hot before Cowen got hurt. We do really need another top 4. When you figure Gonchar goes next summer, thats a long term as well as a short term need.

If we cant make a deal then signing the best of the leftover UFA on a one year deal makes sense. We just need another body because we are going to suffer more injuries. Hopefully when Lundin gets back and we can add another NHL defenceman, we will have enough to get by.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Right now let the young guys have a shot and determine where you want to the team to be. People seem to forget this is still a rebuilding team. Ideally Murray moves quantity players in the system for a young top four defenseman that is a building block for the future if the organization feels they really need to add someone.
Forget the rebuilding excuse, we made the Playoffs, no turning back! :handclap:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I am still of the opinion we wait and see what we have in Benoit, Weirchioch and Borowiecki before making a move. If they can step up to be what we need at this level there's no reason to give up assets for something unless it's a big upgrade.

So far they've looked pretty good, and Methot looks like he'll be more than adequate in filling Cowen's shoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad