Is there an urgent need to acquire a Defenseman?

source

Jul 13, 2008
Do you actually think we're one defenceman away from contending? Let's be realistic about where this team is at. This is year two of a retooling project. Alfie knew what he was signing up for when he came back.

We will fight the margin to make the playoffs this year. It doesn't make sense to leave our defense the way it is given that.

Maybe I'm really underrating the Bingo guys, we'll see.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think they can get by with the d they have now unless the AHL guys just can;t handle the third pairing.

What they really need, i think, is a replacement for Carkner. If a Lucic type guy starts thumping Karlsson, I don't want to see Neil stuck with the job of taking on a guy like that. I like Neil a lot but he isn't a heavy weight. I have read before that some guys here think that this part of the game is dying, but it ain't dead yet. A guy like Carkner prevented more dirty play than he ever caused.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Why sign Campoli?? Some of the people here have terrible memories... Mediocre defensively and barely interesting offensively.

Either go high end or not at all.

To fill in on the bottom pairing and ride pine, allowing us to send one of Benoit or Borowiecki down immediately to help the AHL squad?

I totally agree if you quote only the first 2 sentences of my post! However, when you read my entire post, I disagree ;)

1. You prefaced the post with those two sentences. If you did not mean it, then why bother typing that? All it does is dilute the debate with unnecessary hyperbole.

2. The rest of your post was largely predicated on assumptions that everything will go really well. What if it doesn't? That's why you need contingency plans. Furthermore, you neglect the AHL entirely in your post. Surely Binghamton could benefit if we acquired an additional defenceman - otherwise, they'll be short three of their (arguably) top-4 defenders to start the season. Hardly an ideal situation.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
While I agree that Benoit or Boro can help the AHL squad, they seem to be doing just fine on their own at the moment.

It's a short sample size, though. At any rate, I don't mean to imply that they are incapable of playing well without Benoit, Boro, and Wiercioch. More or less saying that adding a depth defenceman wouldn't hurt Bingo, Ottawa, or the players.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
It's a short sample size, though. At any rate, I don't mean to imply that they are incapable of playing well without Benoit, Boro, and Wiercioch. More or less saying that adding a depth defenceman wouldn't hurt Bingo, Ottawa, or the players.

It sure would not...Campoli? Blood is looking impressive in Bingo and so is Claesson and Gryba. Good to see there is depth in this organization. Good to know that Boro and Wier can help either team and that Benoit is around for leadership in the A and depth in the N.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Im all for trading Bishop as long as we get someone too fill out Top 4 for the future (Ceci Cowen Karlsson ?) as of right now let the kids prove there worth for 48 plus games

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Murray might be holding out for a strong offer for Bishop or Andy.

It's a no-brainer that our defence is a problem right now, but I can understand why Murray isn't opting for a quick fix if he's looking to trade for a top4 guy.

He might be doing something based on what a hockey board believes we have as an organizational need -- or he might be not doing anything (which is what he is currently doing) because he has confidence in what he's seen and what he knows he has.

Personally I've said that our defence appears to have some faults but as it stands we don't really know what we have. It's better to wait and see than to go out and sign someone that is unnecessary. It's not really a no brainer that our defence is a problem to be honest because we have no idea how some of our guys are going to perform.

Speculation is just that, speculation. The reality is he's done nothing so far and the first game is today. That says more than our speculations.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Anyone who says we don't need a top four is blowing smoke out of their ass.. Of course we do Philly and Gonch are up in age..Methot even playing with King Karlsson is out of place...Murray is working the Phone, he just didnt go brain dead during the lockout..

If Benoit was that good why wasnt he given a chance in his first stint when he was with Bingo?...He is a career ahl'er...Boro aint ready and from what i have read and seen Gryba deserved the shot before him.

Weir i think will hold his own and i see a #4 d-man in him...But what happens if philly or Gonch or any of are d-men get the famous groin injury? Some here think it would be ok to roll with 3 rookies...

Mind boggling i tell you..

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He might be doing something based on what a hockey board believes we have as an organizational need -- or he might be not doing anything (which is what he is currently doing) because he has confidence in what he's seen and what he knows he has.

Personally I've said that our defence appears to have some faults but as it stands we don't really know what we have. It's better to wait and see than to go out and sign someone that is unnecessary. It's not really a no brainer that our defence is a problem to be honest because we have no idea how some of our guys are going to perform.

Speculation is just that, speculation. The reality is he's done nothing so far and the first game is today. That says more than our speculations.

Murray told reporters yesterday he was working the phones to see what one of the goaltenders would bring in a trade.

You act like there is a panic to fix something that isn't broke. Weircoich, Benoit, Boro and Gryba are all as good as what is available on the FA market, and there have been no reports that a team wants to move one of their top 4 D. So it seems you are suggesting Murray should have been shopping even though nobody is selling.

So I'm not sure what you expected to happen, but Murray isn't going to make a trade just to satisfy the arm chair GMs.

This team is retooling/rebuilding, people need to grasp the fact that sooner or later the kids have to be given a chance to play. It makes absolutely no sense to draft and develop the youth just to trade it away for aging veterans to plug potential holes.

This approach is short term gain for long term pain, the opposite of what fans should be wanting.

Last edited:

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Murray told reporters yesterday he was working the phones to see what one of the goaltenders would bring in a trade.

You act like there is a panic to fix something that isn't broke. Weircoich, Benoit, Boro and Gryba are all as good as what is available on the FA market, and there have been no reports that a team wants to move one of their top 4 D. So it seems you are suggesting Murray should have been shopping even though nobody is selling.

So I'm not sure what you expected to happen, but Murray isn't going to make a trade just to satisfy the arm chair GMs.

This team is retooling/rebuilding, people need to grasp the fact that sooner or later the kids have to be given a chance to play. It makes absolutely no sense to draft and develop the youth just to trade it away for aging veterans to plug a potential hole.

so your ok with the team possibly going with 3 rookie d-men?

JUST WOW....rebuild or not thats just wrong lol

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
so your ok with the team possibly going with 3 rookie d-men?

JUST WOW....rebuild or not thats just wrong lol

I count two rookies, one will sit.

IMO it is a stretch to consider Benoit a rookie.

In your opinion it is wrong, but I don't believe you are looking at the big picture. Lundin will be back in a few weeks, Benoit has played for the Sens before, its not quite as bad as you are suggesting.

Would I like to see Murray acquire a top 4 D, absolutely, but I realize that isn't as simple as posting a trade in these forums.

I also believe Weircoich is going to do just fine, he is ready to play in the NHL.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Holdurbreathe...I am on the side of not signing anyone. Maybe you misread my post...or maybe you quoted the wrong person.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Yup, 2- games in we will know if our defence is good enough. WHen was the last time we had 3 rookie defenceman ?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1. You prefaced the post with those two sentences. If you did not mean it, then why bother typing that? All it does is dilute the debate with unnecessary hyperbole.

2. The rest of your post was largely predicated on assumptions that everything will go really well. What if it doesn't? That's why you need contingency plans. Furthermore, you neglect the AHL entirely in your post. Surely Binghamton could benefit if we acquired an additional defenceman - otherwise, they'll be short three of their (arguably) top-4 defenders to start the season. Hardly an ideal situation.

1. Ok I see your point... It was more an introduction than anything

2. Well, my assumptions weren't based on "everything will go really well" that much unless you think :

- that Karlsson can't improve (all around, not statistically)
- that Gonchar will decline significantly 9 months later
- that Phillips will decline significantly 9 months later
- that Methot will really be underwhelming in comparison to Kuba
- that Lundin won't be able to match Lee/Gilroy's games
- that Borowiecki won't be able to skate and play defense at least as well as Carkner

And I did say that Wiercioch replacing Cowen should be a downgrade.

I also didn't talk about the reverse of the medal (like getting more key injuries) because I find it a bit useless. If things go bad, we suck and we draft very high as a consolation prize for being losers. That's all. Or if it even gets worse, we all die :sarcasm:

I think Bingo's D will be fine, particulary when Benoit is back : Benoit, Gryba, Eckford, Claesson, Blood, Wideman, New...

All I see is opportunities for Claesson, Blodd and Wideman. I don't mean Bingo should lose but they are #1 in the AHL after all, not worried too much. Is it the end of the world if they don't finish 1st overall?

Nothing's ideal when there is injuries, but at some point good teams fight through adversity

Anyone who says we don't need a top four is blowing smoke out of their ass.. Of course we do Philly and Gonch are up in age..Methot even playing with King Karlsson is out of place...Murray is working the Phone, he just didnt go brain dead during the lockout..

If Benoit was that good why wasnt he given a chance in his first stint when he was with Bingo?...He is a career ahl'er...Boro aint ready and from what i have read and seen Gryba deserved the shot before him.

Weir i think will hold his own and i see a #4 d-man in him...But what happens if philly or Gonch or any of are d-men get the famous groin injury? Some here think it would be ok to roll with 3 rookies...

Mind boggling i tell you..

A post by CC should tell you everything you need to know... well the opposite actually

Last edited:

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
What I see happening is having a short 4 or 5 game audition to see what the situation is. Based on that, I think there is 3 likely scenarios:

1.) Defense sucks and they use one of the goaltenders and package him for a top 4 defenseman.
2.) Sens leadership is fine with their defense corps and they use one of the goaltenders and pickup depth for Bingo plus draft pick(s).
3.) Either of the above situations but cannot complete a trade since it takes two to tango. At which point Lehner loses out based on contract and gets sent down.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm curious if we even have a package that could land P.K. Subban. Can't think of one. That would be more of a long term fix, if anything.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There isn't an urgent need to sign or trade for a defenseman at this time & I would like to see Murray/Maclean try Gryba on the 3rd pairing. However, if a team makes a good young defenseman available to us for Bishop & someone like Condra I think Murray makes the deal. He could wait until they get closer to the deadline but most likely it will depend on how the team is doing & whether he is pressured into a trade. If Ottawa is winning then he can wait for the right offer, if they are losing & the Bingo guys are not working out he could be forced into making a deal much sooner. Petry in Edmonton seems like an interesting option if Edmonton makes him available. He has good size & is a right shot & had 25 pts last yr.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I still think we might need to make a move for a defenceman at some point this season, not because I don't think the current group can't handle it, but because we're playing a condensed season... and in a condensed season, there are always WAY more injuries than normal. Plus, when you DO have an injury, they end up missing more games than they would because there's almost one game every two nights, rather than having longer breaks in between games for injuries to heal.

So yeah. I still think we need a defenceman, but only because I don't think we're going to be so lucky that we'll avoid injury, and if any of our top-4 gets hurt for a significant period of time, we're going to be reeeeeeal thin back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->