Is there an urgent need to acquire a Defenseman?

source

Jul 13, 2008
Simple question.

As it stands now, here is the situation:

(1) Marc Methot will be on the first pairing.
(2) Sergei Gonchar and Chris Phillips will play big minutes.
(3) Our bottom pairing consists of two AHL players.

All things considered, do you think Murray should pursue a short-term solution to improve our defence?

YES or NO

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
Simple question.

As it stands now, here is the situation:

(1) Marc Methot will be on the first pairing.
(2) Sergei Gonchar and Chris Phillips will play big minutes.
(3) Our bottom pairing consists of two AHL players.

All things considered, do you think Murray should pursue a short-term solution to improve our defence?

YES or NO

Why would he do so before a game has been played? Until we know there is a problem, there is no reason to, imo.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Right now let the young guys have a shot and determine where you want to the team to be. People seem to forget this is still a rebuilding team. Ideally Murray moves quantity players in the system for a young top four defenseman that is a building block for the future if the organization feels they really need to add someone.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ideally, I'd like to bring in a guy to play in the 6/7 role so that Boro can go back down to Bingo and play important minutes, rather than just sort of "hang around" Ottawa. Especially if Benoit is playing games, and Boro is sitting in the pressbox.

So yeah. I answered yes, but I wouldn't say it's "URGENT", as the thread title would imply. It'd just be... nice.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Why would he do so before a game has been played? Until we know there is a problem, there is no reason to, imo.

(1) UFA defencemen are being snatched up, and arguably trade opportunities will be fewer as time goes by.

(2) It's a 48 game season. We can't afford to just "let the kids play".

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not until any games are played. It also depends on what management wants to see this year. If its playoffs or bust then eventually yes, it will be a necessity barring a big breakout from young players. If they are actually committed to the rebuild then playing guys like Wiercioch, Gryba, and Borowiecki in significant roles should be part of the plan and we'll be content to go with what's in place.

Either way, I'm not against picking up a depth guy for insurance and perhaps a trade asset at the deadline if things go poorly.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Agree with Bonk. I'd rather not have three of our top AHL guys splitting the 5/6/7 duties in Ottawa, even if it is only for a few weeks. Sign someone cheap to a two-way (Jurcina) who can ride pine and send Boro back down to Bingo.

Saabman0508

Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
(1) UFA defencemen are being snatched up, and arguably trade opportunities will be fewer as time goes by.

(2) It's a 48 game season. We can't afford to just "let the kids play".

Both solid points, just different opinions I suppose. I don't expect us to make a push this year, and I would like to see how the rookies play when given some real time. It will give us a much better idea of where we stand next year when we can make a UFA splash if needed. Then there is the whole deep draft thing. Again, it just depends on how you see the team right now. I think that we should give the kids a shot, unless, like I said before, there is a glaring issue.

source

Jul 13, 2008
If we are truly rebuilding then yes we can.

Both solid points, just different opinions I suppose. I don't expect us to make a push this year, and I would like to see how the rookies play when given some real time. It will give us a much better idea of where we stand next year when we can make a UFA splash if needed. Then there is the whole deep draft thing. Again, it just depends on how you see the team right now. I think that we should give the kids a shot, unless, like I said before, there is a glaring issue.

I would agree with you guys if this was the situation (with Lundin coming back) at the beginning of the year, with the possibility of making a move around November/December.

Sure, we have a lot of young guys who should be fixtures on the team going forward, but I don't think we are sacrificing anything by keeping them in Bingo for another half season. We were a bubble team last year, and it seems to me too big a risk to start a 48 game season this way.

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
I voted No because there's no urgency to acquire one, imo. However, we do have a need for a top 4 dmen. We're still in rebuild mode and if we make the playoffs again this year, kudos to the team and the cardiac kids; but if we don't, the more chances of us having a lottery pick.

I think last year we did more than expected from our guys. This year, I don't really see too much of the same outcome... would be nice but yeah...

I'm really hoping we can snatch Edler in the off-season if possible.

Saabman0508

Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
I would agree with you guys if this was the situation (with Lundin coming back) at the beginning of the year, with the possibility of making a move around November/December.

Sure, we have a lot of young guys who should be fixtures on the team going forward, but I don't think we are sacrificing anything by keeping them in Bingo for another half season. We were a bubble team last year, and it seems to me too big a risk to start a 48 game season this way.

Like I said, just a difference of opinion. I don't think either of us can say anything to sway the other, and that's perfectly fine. I do, however, see the wisdom in sending a guy down to bingo to help down there. I think that would be the main reason I would do it, but at the same time I don't think it is a good enough reason to deny one of them a shot in the big league. If I did have to choose though, I think I would send Benoit down.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Like I said, just a difference of opinion. I don't think either of us can say anything to sway the other, and that's perfectly fine. I do, however, see the wisdom in sending a guy down to bingo to help down there. I think that would be the main reason I would do it, but at the same time I don't think it is a good enough reason to deny one of them a shot in the big league. If I did have to choose though, I think I would send Benoit down.

If this group is bottom 5 in the league, then I agree with you. Embrace the tank.

But, if Murray doesn't make any moves this year and we wind up a couple points out of the playoffs with the defence having cost us games, I will be pissed.

source

Jul 13, 2008
And another point -> this is Alfredsson's last year. Don't tell me we're gonna **** him over just 'cause we want to see how Wiercioch looks in the NHL.

Saabman0508

Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
If this group is bottom 5 in the league, then I agree with you. Embrace the tank.

But, if Murray doesn't make any moves this year and we wind up a couple points out of the playoffs with the defence having cost us games, I will be pissed.

:laugh: This is turning into a bit of a roundabout discussion, but that is exactly what I was saying. Play a few games, see how it goes. If Murray thinks a move needs to be made or if he hears all of us yelling at him, then he will make a move. I don't think we should make one before then. So to answer your original question, no, I do not think we need to urgently pursue another defender.

Edit: Just saw your Alfie comment. I realize you are exaggerating, but if that is you think that is the reason that we would not give Alfie a shot at the Cup, then I think this conversation has just about run its course.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
give it a week. we'll have a clearer picture.

and who are these elite ufa d's that you speak of that are disappearing?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Urgent would imply desperation, as in trading key assets for something to help us win now. It's pretty clear we're not doing that, so I'm "no".

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you have a tendency to panic = vote yes

If you're cool and laid back = vote no

Until there's a problem, there's no problem

I don't see the big thing... We'll miss Jared Cowen yes but he was only a rookie last year. We didn't win games because we turtled and blocked thousand shots like the Habs and Rangers can do. We won games and will continue to do so because of players like Karlsson, Spezza, Alfredsson, Anderson, Michalek, Turris...

Karlsson vs Karlsson = the kid can will still improve, imagine if he's better than the best

Gonchar vs Gonchar = only a few months older, I don't think he will decline. From all accounts, the guy gets better as he gets more confortable with a team

Phillips vs Phillips = only a few months older and he is NOT OLD. 34 y/o is far from done... sure he's not in his prime anymore but can still give you 20 quality minutes per game

Methot vs Kuba = less offense (but Methot could develop this part of his game playing with Karlsson) but more defense and physicality

Lundin vs Lee/Gilroy = who doesn't think it will be an upgrade?

Wiercioch vs Cowen = it should be a downgrade but who knows? Maybe Wiercioch will surprise us all... Of course, less defense and physicality but maybe no offense lost.

Borowiecki vs Carkner = loss of fighting ability but gain of mobility and probably better defense, even if he's a rookie

Last edited:

source

Jul 13, 2008
Urgent would imply desperation, as in trading key assets for something to help us win now. It's pretty clear we're not doing that, so I'm "no".

A minimal signing like grabbing Mark Eaton would satisfy me.

Obviously we will need a couple defencemen much better than Eaton going forward, but the current situation with our club commands at least a stop-gap solution.

This is a thread to re-visit in 1 or 2 weeks.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I understand where you are coming from source but I honestly believe Wiercioch is better than any other defender we could get for a fill-in role. He has been Bingo's best all-around player arguably let alone defender and I think he can handle it.

If he can not and we see struggles early on in the first 3-4 games. I think Murray will make a move for not only a stop-gap but a pretty impacting defender.

With all this being said, I think Murray would target a top-4 or higher defender come trade-deadline. Like you said its Alfredsson's possible last year and if we are in playoff position I expect Murray to make a big deal.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
If you have a tendency to panic = vote yes

If you're cool and laid back = vote no

This is way too black and white.

If we had a completely healthy roster, this is what we might look like on the backend:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin
x-?

You could've argued we needed a 6/7 guy before the AHL season even started. Fortunately, Wiercioch has played well enough that we might not have needed that 6/7 after all. But now that Cowen's out for the season, it's actually quite reasonable to think we need another depth guy (so that Boro, Benoit, or Wiercioch don't spend significant parts of the year in the press box when they could play a bigger role in Bingo).

General Granny*

Nobody cared about Cowen getting top 4 minutes last season, an unproven guy coming from the juniors.

We will never know what we have until we give them a chance, at least the AHL guys have been playing at the pros for a couple of seasons, I think the defense issue isnt that big of issue as some make it out to be.

The most I want to see is sign Huskins as a stop gap solution, and not to give up any type of assets for a crappy veteran with his best days behind him. If we go the trade route and look to get rid of some assets then I prefer we give a bit more and require a dman that could play in the top 4 in this team for at least another 5 years and someone to take Gonchar's spot next season, a player like Hammer, McBain and Demers etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->