Is there a worse broadcast then the Boston Bruins?

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
As a Cubs fan it was a long time coming. Although I did kinda get choked up by his last farewell on air, he loves the Sox and his job.

Yeah I can totally understand that. Him, and more relevant to this thread, Edwards seem like genuinely decent guys who really do love their jobs. I have no issues with them as people, just personally not a fan of their broadcast style/ability so I choose to not listen to them. If others are big fans, all the power to them.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Edwards sounds like he would blow the entire team if they let him.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Drakon

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only thing with them I really understand is new listeners hearing Laughlin’s voice. It’s grating at first, but it’s like people with annoying habits, it’s less annoying if it’s a family member haha.

Yeah, I lived in DC for a couple years, and Craig Laughlin's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. He's a knowledgeable guy, seems to be likable, but I simply cannot listen to his voice without getting a low-grade headache. Very much like Steve Coates, who used to be the Flyers' between the glass guy, and now does color on their radio broadcast. Great guy, but again, makes me want to grab earplugs (which is tremendously unhelpful, given his current job.)

On the general subject, the Flyers broadcast team drives me nuts, because they don't call the game even close to down the middle. I expect some level of bias, but I want the broadcast team to tell me what's going on, not reinforce my orange-colored glasses. The refs can be utterly terrible, but it's funny how they always seem to be a little bit better in national games. (IOW, the broadcast doesn't hype up how patently unfair they are, so you get a more objective view of the action on the ice.)

I want the broadcast team to be excited when my team does well, and more subdued when it's the other guys, but that's a matter of tone of voice, not of analysis. Show me rational, objective analysis, with any bias coming through tone of voice only, and I'll show you the best broadcast team in the business.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Leaf fan here and I love Edwards- he calls the goals of the opposing team almost like the Bruins. He gets excited about the other team scoring too- he appreciates good exciting hockey. Leafs Boston playoffs as example.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The most annoying broadcaster though might be the Blackhawks guy who does a bizarre muppet voice when the goalie makes a good save.

"And a SAVE by Crawford."

He sounds like a 1930's baseball announcer on acid when he does that.
Hahaha I actually love that. It’s great to me when an announcer has his own personal flare, something memorable that makes him stand out.

When you’re a local remembering Team moments, that flare is what makes the announcer stand out and in turn makes the moment “pop”.

Chicago, Boston, Capitals, Sabres announcers create some of the best examples of ample memories made easier for me by the sound as much as the site.

Caps in particular, as a fan, there are a number of moments I clearly remember Beninati’s words (especially old prime Ovi days). Same goes for playoff moments with many Doc Emerick calls in my head.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
As a Bruins fan, all other broadcasts are worse for me personally. Why should I care about balanced coverage? I am emotionally invested in the game and if the announcer shares that with me, it only improves the experience. Watching other broadcasts creates a bit of dissonance for me since the response of the commentators to what is happening on the ice does not match my own emotional reaction to it. Maybe that's what fans of other teams experience with Edwards, but he is catering to the Boston market and does that well.
He’s terrible. Just terrible.

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Hahaha I actually love that. It’s great to me when an announcer has his own personal flare, something memorable that makes him stand out.

When you’re a local remembering Team moments, that flare is what makes the announcer stand out and in turn makes the moment “pop”.

Chicago, Boston, Capitals, Sabres announcers create some of the best examples of ample memories made easier for me by the sound as much as the site.

Caps in particular, as a fan, there are a number of moments I clearly remember Beninati’s words (especially old prime Ovi days). Same goes for playoff moments with many Doc Emerick calls in my head.
Yeah, you do have a point: better to be original than cliche and boring.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Avs are pretty bad when the opposition scores and are definitely bias, but they do often praise the other team as well.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Obviously that’s exactly what I’m saying, they’re horrible homers. It’s why they’re so hated.

Game was nationally broadcast in Canada across all Sportsnets, nothing to do with centre ice.

It was rebroadcast via the NESN feed? So it's not a national broadcast. Again, that's our feed. I've been watching NESN since I was a little kid, before center ice. That's our network and we don't cater to people outside of New England. Sorry.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
It was rebroadcast via the NESN feed? So it's not a national broadcast. Again, that's our feed. I've been watching NESN since I was a little kid, before center ice. That's our network and we don't cater to people outside of New England. Sorry.

Never said anyone should be catered to. Just said they suck.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Edwards I don't mind. Brickley, with that NE accent and homerism just grates on the nerves, though...

My Best-Carey

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As a Bruins fan, all other broadcasts are worse for me personally. Why should I care about balanced coverage? I am emotionally invested in the game and if the announcer shares that with me, it only improves the experience. Watching other broadcasts creates a bit of dissonance for me since the response of the commentators to what is happening on the ice does not match my own emotional reaction to it. Maybe that's what fans of other teams experience with Edwards, but he is catering to the Boston market and does that well.

As a Pens fan, I can answer this for you. When we had Steigerwald, it was almost as unbearable for me as I'm sure it was for opposing fans unlucky enough to hear him.

The reason for that is blind homerism is just that...blind homerism. As an example, let's say a goal is scored by the Pens. However, there's some fairly blatant goalie interference. Steigerwald would look for any reason to call it not goalie interference, even though I as a fan of many years can easily see the goal is gonna get overturned.

I don't like that type of blind homerism where the announcer is willfully ignorant of what is going on on the ice. Edwards and Steigerwald are too often like that.

Reactions: Oryxo

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
yes, there are many worse.... when the color commentator will not shut up, and just talks the whole game.... like Engblom in Tampa, Errey in Pit, Pang in STL

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Just watching the Nashville/Boston game and PB scored a goal and they gloated about how nice it was etc etc, going through the replay 4 or 5 times on the broadcast. To anyone with a brain it was obvious the only reason he scored was because Roman Josi bumped Rinnes skate and knocked him over. Not once did they mention it, and then during the intermission some other twits were talking about the goal and once again not one person mentioned Rinne getting knocked over essentially giving PB an empty net.

This is on top of him basically calling any penalties towards Boston laughable bad calls.. I know I’m ranting but does anyone else get supremely agitated listening to this guy? He is unbelievable. End of rant
I have the opposite reaction, I watch the Boston broadcast and love every second of their homer commentary. I was watching a game one time where Marchand does some blatantly dirty thing like jabbing a guy in the balls with his stick, and the announcer during the replay actually said "Well, if there was any malicious intent on the part of Marchand it was well disguised." I mean the guy is looking at perhaps the dirtiest play possible made by the dirtiest player in the game, yet he still pretends it was all just part of an innocent puck battle. You can't beat that for entertainment.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He's actually decent at calling the game; he gives the other teams fair excitement when a goal is scored.

It's just brutal when he goes fanboy, when his emotions take over

Usually in fights , bad calls , if the game gets chippy etc

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Anything that tva sport does for hockey cant be beat, its pretty much a bunch of clowns and 4th liners and ahlers making up new words as the game goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad