Is there a top seven now in international hockey?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t have an issue with the funding.

Who pays to watch professional hockey?

Hockey players - particularly somewhere where it’s not deep in the cultural fabric of the area, unlike Canada.

It makes sense to try and generate future paying customers by getting them involved and successful in the sport.

It’s just good business.

We have an entire country where hockey is the defacto most important cultural and professional sport. (Soccer being a recreational past-time).

That’s a huge advantage that only Finland also really has among the major countries.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Czech Republic can ice better teams than Switzerland at the senior and much better teams at the junior level. We are in completely alone as the 6th best hockey nation, with a decent gap between us and the top 5 and also between us and Switzerland/Slovakia.
Why the result don't support this more is another question. Czech coaches still consider us an elite nation and try to play open offensive game with everyone. If they opted to go for more defensive systems like Switzerland has been using for years, the results would be better, probably with some medals as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lol.

No. Let's see it happen at the senior level. Your junior program is best because half of your junior team plays together for 3 years on the USNDT which is a massive advantage over everyone else.

I'm not a fan of US hockey so take this view as one from an outsider.

But good for them for creating a 'massive advantage' over everyone else. It's not like they are using steroids to win here. They have a brilliant gameplan and are executing it amazingly. Good for them. If other countries don't like it they can a: come up with a better system or b: use the same system. I only wish the Czechs could come up with something so good.

This is similar to saying your team only beat my team because you had a better goalie. Goalies are part of the game, you're allowed to have the best goalie. In fact, I encourage it.

Reactions: Pouliot

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland has better young players under 25 than Russia and propably also better than Sweden.
It's amazing that Finland got to the finals without their 3 highest picks. Truly amazing. Czechs had their top 3 of their 4 best picks and scored 1 goal a game and got eliminated quickly.

Finland should be a powerhouse for awhile now. There only minor issue is D. Just don't produce elite D like Canada and Sweden. Having said that, I'm positive your Top 6 D at a best on best would be damn good.

Reactions: smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd say that any of CAN, USA, SWE, FIN, and RUS can win on any given year. Other countries like the Cech Republic and Switzerland, although really good, haven't really reached the same status internationally as the other 5.

It's sad when you think of it as the Cech Rpublic and mostly Slovakia used to be much stronger in the mid 90s to early 2000s than they are now. For Slovakia, those were the years where they had stars like Hossa, Stastny, Gaborik, Chara, Bondra, Palfy, Demitra and others. For the Cech Republic, those were the prime years of Hasek, Jagr, Nedved, Reichel, Straka, Holik, Bonk and Lang among ohters.

At that time we had a true top 7, with talent much more widespread. Now we have a top 5 and then a group of countries like Switzerland, Germany and the Cech Republic that fight to ascertain their status.

Your number 1 answer for this is money. Czech and Slovaks are generally not as wealthy as Canadians, Americans and the Scandinavians. I'm honestly not sure about Russians. All the guys you mentioned came out of a system where hockey was free and the best athletes were chosen. The year Jagr was drafted was the last year of communism. Any player BORN that year walked into a very different system.

In no way am I saying communism was a good thing or that the Czechs wanted it. But, if you were a good athlete born in the 60 or 70's (like this list of players) then the hockey development was free to the family. Now, the families have to pay for everything and not everyone can afford to get a kid to the NHL.

I live in Canada and parents have no issues forking over tonnes of money into their kids to play 'select' hockey. They go to tournaments every weekend, get the suits and all that. It's very expensive. Canadian hockey is funded by parents willing to pay. It is a huge part of the culture here. Also, generally speaking, the best athletes end up in hockey in Canada. I know there are exceptions so no need to quote me on a 100m sprinter or biathlete. But if you coach a public school team in Canada like vball or basketball, the best players are always your hockey players.

Also, everyone plays hockey in Canada. I play 3 times a week and I'd be the equivalent of Junior Z in my prime. There are arenas everywhere. Canada has over 3000 indoor rinks compared to 200 in the Czech Republic.

Please note: this isn't sour grapes and me complaining Canada has an advantage. Just pointing out economic realties.

Countries ranked by number of ice hockey rinks 2017/18 | Statistic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, Czechs are clearly in 6th place alone. No matter how you shake it, we're ending up in 6th. Use the last 10 year of World Championships results - we're 6th. Using the last 5 Olympics - we're 6th. Using the last 10 World Juniors - we're 6th. 6th is all ours baby!

It's a Big 5. Debating who is the best amongst them is a long debate. If I wanted to give a definitive argument I'd point out the last best on best tourneys which were the last 3 Olympics before this and the fake World Cup of Hockey. Pretty sure Canada won all 4 of those.

At the Junior level, despite losing in quarters this year Canada will produce about 50 NHL players out of this age group(s). Losing in a 2 week tournament doesn't change the fact they have the best players. For instance, there is not even a guarantee any of the guys of the awesome Swiss team in this tourney will even make the NHL.

We've been hearing the Swiss are coming for 20 years now. They are currently doing awesome with a silver at World's and now this tourney and maybe a Bronze. However, they only have a dozen or so guys in the NHL 5 of them being 'good to great'. This years draft class doesn't have much. Last years draft class didn't either. They year Nico went first (which was awesome) the next Swiss guy went in the 4th round I believe.

Having said that. Congrats to the Swiss and all their successes. I hope they keep doing well.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There is a top-4 with Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden
What about Finland? They have developed some pretty great players. Laine, Barkov, Rantanen, Rinne, Aho, Heiskanen, Ristolainen, Kotkaniemi, Granlund, Kapanen, etc. They're playing for another Gold in the WJC.

These guys are great at the junior and senior level. Explain to me how, in your eyes, they aren't a top nation.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Man do I miss best on best tournaments. I hope there will be one in the near future (without random teams consisting of players born in August, and what not).

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Additionally I think it needs to be said if we're putting this much stock into junior hockey, the fact that Canada sends 3 competitive teams (60 players instead of 20) to the U-17 year after year and basically competes with the one team sent by the others is a pretty telling tale.

Reactions: Czechboy

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Also, Czechs are clearly in 6th place alone. No matter how you shake it, we're ending up in 6th. Use the last 10 year of World Championships results - we're 6th. Using the last 5 Olympics - we're 6th. Using the last 10 World Juniors - we're 6th. 6th is all ours baby!

It's a Big 5. Debating who is the best amongst them is a long debate. If I wanted to give a definitive argument I'd point out the last best on best tourneys which were the last 3 Olympics before this and the fake World Cup of Hockey. Pretty sure Canada won all 4 of those.

At the Junior level, despite losing in quarters this year Canada will produce about 50 NHL players out of this age group(s). Losing in a 2 week tournament doesn't change the fact they have the best players. For instance, there is not even a guarantee any of the guys of the awesome Swiss team in this tourney will even make the NHL.

We've been hearing the Swiss are coming for 20 years now. They are currently doing awesome with a silver at World's and now this tourney and maybe a Bronze. However, they only have a dozen or so guys in the NHL 5 of them being 'good to great'. This years draft class doesn't have much. Last years draft class didn't either. They year Nico went first (which was awesome) the next Swiss guy went in the 4th round I believe.

Having said that. Congrats to the Swiss and all their successes. I hope they keep doing well.

Sweden won in 2006. A team with Sundin, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sedins, Zetterberg and Alfredsson - thats a f***ing dreamteam.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden won in 2006. A team with Sundin, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sedins, Zetterberg and Alfredsson - thats a ****ing dreamteam.
Thank you. My mistake. Canada won 3 of those 4 events and the last time they lost a best on best was 13 years ago.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Are you really going to use dual citizens as a huge advantage for the U.S.? I thought EVERYBODY plays hockey in Canada. Therefore, Canada should have an advantage with the number of players they can choose from.

Just as many play in the USA. At one point the duals were only Canadian, it now appears that they are Europeans as well. It certainly doesn't hurt the US and it certainly is an advantage over smaller countries.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Germany should be there. They have a good league with good attendance. Austria should also be better but their teams rely on mostly North American players. Maybe the Red Bull academy will bring something positive. It's a miracle that Denmark and Slovenia are even this good. Maybe Belarus and Kazakhstan will rise with all the money they pour in to hockey.

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I can't vouch for any other country but I can tell you that hockey has become too expensive to play in Canada. Adults do love to ruin the fun of children by over organizing things and making money from it.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
it isn't a huge advantage, hard to quantify, but it is an advantage. Let me know when the kids of American NHL players born in Canada start playing for Team Canada. How many kids of Canadian NHL players born in the US are playing on Team USA this year? 3-4? + a few other nationalities. They are dual citizens, products of the US development system, they should play for the US. I don't begrudge them that. but to say its not an advantage is disingenuous. It is what it was. We have to deal with it.

Agree.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Saw some fans congratulating Keith Primeau last night by the way. Proud Dad his son played very well.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Thank you. My mistake. Canada won 3 of those 4 events and the last time they lost a best on best was 13 years ago.

Yeah sure, but they havent won a best on best in 5 years. You can skew the stats whichever way you want, but I do agree that Canada has been amazing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah sure, but they havent won a best on best in 5 years. You can skew the stats whichever way you want, but I do agree that Canada has been amazing.
You know I'm a Czech fan, right? I'm just saying that winning the last 4 best on bests is pretty hard to argue against.

Also, the WCH was 2 years ago. That is the last official best on best whether I like it or not.

However, I appreciate your counter for the humour. So I'll add to it:

The Czechs have won as many best on bests as Sweden since 2007!

Please take that as dark humour.

Reactions: Casanova

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
It's amazing that Finland got to the finals without their 3 highest picks. Truly amazing. Czechs had their top 3 of their 4 best picks and scored 1 goal a game and got eliminated quickly.

Finland should be a powerhouse for awhile now. There only minor issue is D. Just don't produce elite D like Canada and Sweden. Having said that, I'm positive your Top 6 D at a best on best would be damn good.
Yes right! But Finland has improved by D-Man. Heiskanen,Ristolainen,Lindell,Vatanen,Nutivaara,Jokiharju etc. are not too bad. Not so good as the D-Man big three(CAN,US,SWE) but the development is better than in the past.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes right! But Finland has improved by D-Man. Heiskanen,Ristolainen,Lindell,Vatanen,Nutivaara,Jokiharju etc. are not too bad. Not so good as the D-Man big three(CAN,US,SWE) but the development is better than in the past.

I completely agree... Finland is getting awesome. Still time for Juoelevi and Honka as well.

Sad fact: whoever you consider the best Czech Dman (Kempny, Gudas) would not make the roster(s) of the big 5. Same with World Jrs. Kvasnicka was named our best D... I doubt he cracks any of those rosters.

Please send some Finnish hockey people to the Czechs for a conference or something.lol

Reactions: Ducks76 and Renmar

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
[QUOTE = "Pilky01, pošta: 154555727, člen: 149041"] Pokud by nebyl pro Dominikka Haseka v roce 1998, česká republika bude hodnocena na stejné úrovni jako Slovensko.
WTF. Holy s.it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad