Is there a top seven now in international hockey?

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Slovakia falling out and Switzerland going in. Switzerland has had good showings both in juniors and adult level. They also have a number one draft pick and Finland has not. Germany was also second in the olympics but I wouldn't count them with the big boys.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Swiss have one good result in 9 years in Juniors though. Do they have really top quality players in this team, or simply good team play?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The Swiss have been getting some good results here and there, but they remain quite inconsistent. Certainly not yet enough to move into the top echelon. Good to see their program making progress though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Which countries would you leave out Switzerland and Czech rep? Bit unfair for the Czechs.
I would because they have not proven they can medal.

Last 10 years:

Rus 8 medals
Canada 7 medals
USA 6 medals
Swe 5 medals
Fin 2 medals...but both gold
Slov 1 medal
Cze none

It will be 1 medal in 18 years for Cze. and it was a bronze.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia falling out and Switzerland going in. Switzerland has had good showings both in juniors and adult level. They also have a number one draft pick and Finland has not. Germany was also second in the olympics but I wouldn't count them with the big boys.
Best on best Slovakia-Swiss men’s game would be pretty close and could go either way. They’ve had a better u20 men’s team this year yet we’ve had a better u18, u17 and u16

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Best on best Slovakia-Swiss men’s game would be pretty close and could go either way. They’ve had a better u20 men’s team this year yet we’ve had a better u18, u17 and u16

I agree, Switzerland had a little bit more success at the mens tournament lately, but success is always also a question of luck or injuries, etc. Slovakia has currently better goaltenders, Switzerland probably better defensmen and if you would compare forwards it's probably a par.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I agree, Switzerland had a little bit more success at the mens tournament lately, but success is always also a question of luck or injuries, etc. Slovakia has currently better goaltenders, Switzerland probably better defensmen and if you would compare forwards it's probably a par.
Yes I’d agree with this. I’d say Swiss also have better coaching and skating. I believe Swiss u20 league is better than Slovaks, but I’d say u18 and u16 Slovak leagues are better than Swiss counterpart. One thing about the Swiss that I really enjoy is they take best players regardless of age. They bring more young guys than Slovaks which allows for those guys to gain experience and become better

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would say its a top 8, with the top 5 being threats to win any tournament every year with 6-8 maybe being able to get to a bronze medal game if they play above their level and get some bounces along the way. Visually it would look something like this:

1. Canada

2-4: U.S.A
Russia
Sweden

5. Finland

6-8: Czech Republic
Switzerland
Slovakia

After that then you get into countries which if they beat a top 5 team it would be considered a major upset such as Germany, Denmark, Latvia, Belarus, France, Kazakhstan, etc.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Swiss have a very impressive crop of NHLers that didn't exist in 2010, or even 2014, a couple of which are legit first liners or top pairing dmen.

They've also won two silver medals over the past 10 years at the WCs; Czechs have won a gold and two silvers while Slovakia has won one silver.

There is a solid and obvious top 5, followed by the trio of Czechs, Swiss and Slovaks to round out eight reasonably competitive nations in hockey. As in, it'd be an upset if the outside three beat the top five, but not if any of the outside three beat each other.

Before the Czechs feel too upset by this, I'm pretty sure in a best on best competition, they would only be very slightly favored over the Swiss if not dead even (Haven't checked head to head but willing to wager Swiss have come out with an OTL or a W more often than not), but would not be favored well any of the Top 5 nations. Also being a bit generous to Slovakia based on recent results, but I think they'll turn the corner and stay a plucky and competitive team that can be an outside threat to medal in future competitions.

Have to see how Germany fares going forward to see if there's more to their NHL-less Olympic success.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If it weren’t for Dominick Hasek in 1998 the Czech Rep would be rated on the same level as Slovakia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad