Is there a province that can boast has a better first line right now than Nova Scotia?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Haven't they seen constantly declining enrollment numbers and issues with infrastructure? Hockey is becoming more a rich-kids sport than ever before. Look at how western Canada is trying to compete in development by having uber-expensive hockey schools/prep programs. The big thing Ontario has is that there are so many players and coaching in close proximity, it makes it easier (while still expensive), to have elite leagues.

Its surprising Halifax has 3 elite NHLers, but keep in mind, MacKinnon went to Shattuck for 2 years, and Crosby for one. I don't think the effect was dramatic, but it did challenge them.

Soccer was really popular when I was growing up in Quebec, much more so than hockey. I don't think that trend has reversed at all.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well obviously established immigrants. Certainly not first or second generation (rare).

I don't know about anyone's immigration status, but there's been a whole bunch of kids that play hockey on the various teams my kids play on who speak to their kids in a bunch of different languages. Hockey is not just for people who have been in this country for generations.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't know about anyone's immigration status, but there's been a whole bunch of kids that play hockey on the various teams my kids play on who speak to their kids in a bunch of different languages. Hockey is not just for people who have been in this country for generations.

They do it for fun. Obviously those kids are in the programs, but are they doing it to make the NHL? Theres a reason why most players who make the NHL are white males who come from wealthy families. The families have to commit a lot of money and time to it, and when you're new in the country, there are a lot of different responsibilities and barriers that you must adapt to first.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
In terms of number of players and I think even quality of players, Minnesota punches way above the weight of it's 5 million people, ahead of all other states and even outperforming some similar sized Canadian provinces.

Minnesota has long been a hockey hot bed. They love them some hockey there.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Manitoba

Nolan Patrick - Jonathan Toews - Mark Stone
Duncan Keith - Travis Hamonic
People are sleeping on Micheal Ferland. I think he's better than Domi and Patrick right now. (Not necessarily in the future)

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
In terms of number of players and I think even quality of players, Minnesota punches way above the weight of it's 5 million people, ahead of all other states and even outperforming some similar sized Canadian provinces.
Minnesota has some good forwards but the defense is probably a bit better: Byfuglien, McDonagh, Leddy, Erik Johnson

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Never been to Halifax?

Nova Scotia is fantastic. Halifax is a decent city with lots to do. Tonnes of history, particularly military. Clubs and bars, plus an old brewery in the very centre of the city of that's your thing. In the summer you can surf in the ocean, deep sea fishing including shark fishing. Whale watching. A good university. Halifax is a clean and picturesque city. There is tonnes to do.

And many of the men have left to work elsewhere. The odds are great for a man:)
It is a fantastic place to visit even if that were not true

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
For sure there’s a gap McDavid is generational and the most talented player to enter the league since Lemieux.

The problem is that sometimes I'm not sure about his commitment level. Take yesterday's game for example. A non-factor and invisible for most of the game. Takes a stupid 10 min misconduct at the beginning of the second. In the 3rd, he was dominant but his team had multiple PP so he had the space to make plays.

The comment I see often about him is that you don't notice him most of the game and then he makes plays that nobody else can do.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Washington: Derek Ryan-Tyler Johnson-TJ Oshie

Oddly all three of those players,along with Kailer Yamamoto,are from Spokane,population 217,000.I would have thought that there would be some players from the much more populated Seattle/Tacoma area but I guess it's due to the WHL being in Spokane since the early 80's,

Reactions: Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad