Is there a province that can boast has a better first line right now than Nova Scotia?

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
if it's by birth place here is Team Savonia:

Kasperi Kapanen - Joonas Rask - Teemu Hartikainen
Mikko Kokkonen - Rasmus Rissanen

Tuukka Rask

top that

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
never mind ontario, here is team york region

Skinner - McDavid - Athanasiou
Foegele - Stamkos - Marner
Bennett - Tierney - Sikura
Cirelli - Thomas - Archibald
ex. Blandisi

Del Zotto - Pietrangelo
Dermott - Murphy
x - x

Elliott
x

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Bearer of bad news. Nova Scotia will never have an NHL team so they don't have a 1st line.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty amazing production by a small province like NS. You’d have to think that Crosby’s success will encourage more young kids to take up the game as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
New York: Palmieri-Sutter-Kane.

Minnesota: Parise-Stepan-Wheeler

Wisconsin: Galchenyuk-Pavelski-Kessel

California: Zucker-Matthews-Nieto

Connecticut: Pacioretty-Bonino-Atkinson

Massachusetts: Coyle-Eichel-Hayes

Michigan: Kesler-Larkin-Rust

New Jersey: JVR-Gaudreau-Ryan

Washington: Derek Ryan-Tyler Johnson-TJ Oshie

In terms of number of players and I think even quality of players, Minnesota punches way above the weight of it's 5 million people, ahead of all other states and even outperforming some similar sized Canadian provinces.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm proud of my home province, but we'll just have to enjoy the top line distinction while it lasts. Hockey is shifting more and more to athletes that have been highly trained from a young age, which requires your family to have a lot of $$$ and a lot of hockey training resources in your community. Toronto Metro has surpassed the farmboys (and fishermen) and it's going to keep pulling ahead.

Scary part is, for Nova Scotia, there are 4 kids right now that are big, fast and skilled and they are only in Peewee lighting it up. One kid has already put a few Crosby records to bed.

I hope you're right!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is macinnis an east coaster????
Didnt know that

Very East Coast. Cape Breton Island. I drove through his hometown of Port Hood recently, and I was tempted to look for the old barn door where he supposedly learned to shoot. It ought to be a tourist site, a true landmark of human acheivement.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Quebec is due for another elite talent one of these days. Outside of Bergeron there's no real elite goal scoring talent here.
Haven't they seen constantly declining enrollment numbers and issues with infrastructure? Hockey is becoming more a rich-kids sport than ever before. Look at how western Canada is trying to compete in development by having uber-expensive hockey schools/prep programs. The big thing Ontario has is that there are so many players and coaching in close proximity, it makes it easier (while still expensive), to have elite leagues.

Its surprising Halifax has 3 elite NHLers, but keep in mind, MacKinnon went to Shattuck for 2 years, and Crosby for one. I don't think the effect was dramatic, but it did challenge them.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Haven't they seen constantly declining enrollment numbers and issues with infrastructure? Hockey is becoming more a rich-kids sport than ever before. Look at how western Canada is trying to compete in development by having uber-expensive hockey schools/prep programs. The big thing Ontario has is that there are so many players and coaching in close proximity, it makes it easier (while still expensive), to have elite leagues.

Its surprising Halifax has 3 elite NHLers, but keep in mind, MacKinnon went to Shattuck for 2 years, and Crosby for one. I don't think the effect was dramatic, but it did challenge them.
I was very up to date with prospects around 5-6 years ago and the problem with infrastructure, nepotism and corruption were big factors in the decline of Quebec's program. Not too sure if enrôlement is declining, but i would say that Quebec has per capita more lower income immigrant families in the province who wouldn't really be sending their kids to hockey, versus Ontario which is more expensive to live in, and thus attracts richer families who can play hockey (not to mention they just have millions more people there than here). Also unsure if travel plays a factor in it, but Ontario's junior teams are mostly clustered along the Windsor-Ottawa corridor whereas Quebec has teams up in Val dor, Rimouski, etc. If I'm a 16 year old on a billet in Rimouski where there's nothing to do but drink and party... that's what I'll do. Granted, that's a story as old as junior hockey itself, but I feel it's more amplified here.

I also wonder if the trickle effect of no notable players has any effect. If some nowhere town like cole Harbor can produce two of the best players in the league, you know local kids are watching. But Quebec has no one like that. I hear there's a kid from here who's a front runner for #1 pick in 2020 and it would be great to have a star inspire the next gen of Franco players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad