Is there a province that can boast has a better first line right now than Nova Scotia?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
BC underwhelming?

Yzerman Sakic?

Jamie Benn is from there.

Keith and Weber are aiight.

Don't forget kariya, neidermayer, recchi, Glen Anderson, Seabrook(who was pretty good once upon a time). Price will probably be fairly well regarded for his career as well when things are said and done. Neely has already been mentioned.

After this, you get into the next tier with the courtnalls, Danny gare, Ferraro, cliff ronning etc...

Some great names on that list, but they are mostly recent. It makes me wonder if hockey was a big deal prior to the Canucks arriving in 1970. I know the weather really doesn't make you think of hockey in the Vancouver area at least, and the water doesn't freeze over, but still....

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But my god the winter.

The winter is actually not bad most years compared to most of Canada. We don't usually get the cold that others get due to being on the coast. And the snow too as ours turns to rain lots of times.

When you see that Cakgary and Edmonton has already had snow, we don't have it too bad. Essentially Maine's weather just a day later.

Best 1st line too!

#2, #4, #10 top PPG guys since the start of last season. Not bad when the #10 guy is Sid.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
:whaaa?:
Historically still not that many great players came out of here compared to other provinces.

And as I said earlier you cant count Stevie Y, he was born in BC but raised in Nepean, Ontario.

You do realize being born in bc makes you from bc, regardless of where you are raised:whaaa?:

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The winter is actually not bad most years compared to most of Canada. We don't usually get the cold that others get due to being on the coast. And the snow too as ours turns to rain lots of times.

When you see that Cakgary and Edmonton has already had snow, we don't have it too bad. Essentially Maine's weather just a day later.

Best 1st line too!

#2, #4, #10 top PPG guys since the start of last season. Not bad when the #10 guy is Sid.
Inland the winters can be pretty brutal. The Valley gets dumped on a lot because a lot of that rain that Halifax gets on the coast is snow for them. It is the kind of cold that gets right into your bones though having lived in Alberta it's just different.

Reactions: Tripod

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty awesome.

Ontario's is pretty good, too.....

McDavid
Tavares
Seguin

Team Ontario wins ;)

Mcdavid Tavares Seguin
Marner Giroux stamkos
Duchene o’Reilly Carter
E Stall scheifele Thornton

Doughty Burns
subban Giordano
Pietrangelo Hamilton

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Scary part is, for Nova Scotia, there are 4 kids right now that are big, fast and skilled and they are only in Peewee lighting it up. One kid has already put a few Crosby records to bed.

What’s the kids name. Would be interesting to check back in 10 years

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Alright here's my attempt at a list. Thoughts on the rankings? Ontario was difficult; Marner, Giroux, RoR and Tavares all on the outside.

1. Nova Scotia: Marchand/Crosby/MacKinnon

2. Ontario: Scheifele/McDavid/Seguin

3. British Columbia: Benn/Barzal/Johansen

4. Alberta: Hall/Point/Debrusk

5. Manitoba: Domi/Toews/Stone

6. Saskatchewan: Schwartz/Getzlaf/Schenn

7. Quebec: Drouin/Bergeron/Marchessault

Disqualified: New Brunswick, Newfoundland+Labrador, PEI
Bergeron alone jumps Quebec up to number 4 on the list.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Mainly because history extends before the 1980s. Other than Lynn Patrick, Bc didn't produce a hall of fame player, as in someone trained in the province, until Neely or debatably Brett Hull. By the time Neely started his career the NHL was in its 67th season.

As someone whom moved to Vancouver as an adult - I'm kinda surprised they have any NHLers. Neither the Lower Mainland nor the Island nor the interior can have outdoor ice - and that's were 98% (?) of the population lives. Rinks are so few and far between the the ice-time is so incredibly expensive compared to the rest of Canada that I have a tough time seeing how kids could develop to that level. - especially guys that would be in the league a decade or so ago before kids sports and activities across the board became the business it's become.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
It really just hit me how much of a talent nose dive Quebec has taken and how historically underwhelming B.C. has been.

Yzerman, Sakic, Recchi, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Ferraro, Ronning, Courtnalls, Neely, Benn, Horcoff, Weber, Lucic, Rota, B. Morrison, Seabrook, E. Kane, Price

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Manitoba

Nolan Patrick - Jonathan Toews - Mark Stone
Duncan Keith - Travis Hamonic

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Don't forget kariya, neidermayer, recchi, Glen Anderson, Seabrook(who was pretty good once upon a time). Price will probably be fairly well regarded for his career as well when things are said and done. Neely has already been mentioned.

After this, you get into the next tier with the courtnalls, Danny gare, Ferraro, cliff ronning etc...

Some great names on that list, but they are mostly recent. It makes me wonder if hockey was a big deal prior to the Canucks arriving in 1970. I know the weather really doesn't make you think of hockey in the Vancouver area at least, and the water doesn't freeze over, but still....
We do produce an amazing number of baseball players though. I’m recent (4 years ago) transplant from the gta to the lower mainland and yeah, the climate here isn’t conducive to producing hockey players. No outside ice unless you’re way into the interior, but then the population base falls of with really only Kamloops as a city of any real size. Whereas the warm weather pretty well from March/April to late October in the valley allows for lots of baseball rain aside.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
BC has the highest percentage of Asians in the entirety of Canada (More than a quarter of the population)
Im pretty sure these new immigrants aren't coming to Canada to become professional hockey players.

Immigrants are coming to Canada to be Canadians, and Canadians love hockey.

Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya (Asian), Recchi, Benn, Niedermayer, Johansen, Kane, Lucic, Anderson, Weber, etc, all had family that emigrated to Canada.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Immigrants are coming to Canada to be Canadians, and Canadians love hockey.

Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya (Asian), Recchi, Benn, Niedermayer, Johansen, Kane, Lucic, Anderson, Weber, etc, all had family that emigrated to Canada.

Well obviously established immigrants. Certainly not first or second generation (rare).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad