Jim Hiller - Kings
Martin St Louis - Habs
Drew Bannister - Blues
Jon Cooper - Lightning
Sheldon Keefe - Leafs
Spencer Carbury - Caps

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Wish they'd get to it and get on with whatever media availability they're planning today.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
For people who give me crap for asking the #BigQuestions about whether Green and the Tkachuks were friendly due to their past together:

"Friedman wondered if Brady Tkachuk had a big say in who the new coach was, which was Travis Green"

So I guess Friedman has Sens PTSD too. Poor guy.

Obviously, speculation vs reporting has to be distinguished, but Friedman is a smart and careful guy. He doesn't openly "wonder" about things that aren't safe for him to wonder about.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Wish they'd get to it and get on with whatever media availability they're planning today.
Presser is at 1.

For people who give me crap for asking the #BigQuestions about whether Green and the Tkachuks were friendly due to their past together:

"Friedman wondered if Brady Tkachuk had a big say in who the new coach was, which was Travis Green"

Hmmm...3.5 mil really isn't that high for a coach these days, That's really not a good sign of things if that was a dealbreaker. I'd rather hear that we just didn't like his interview.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Based on?
Green doesn't seem like someone who's highly in-demand like Berube or Evason, so I don't think he has that leverage. We also didn't want go 3.5 mil on Berube, someone who we reportedly had interest in for a while.

Just based on my own feeling, that's all.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Makes you wonder what our coaching and front office budget is compared to other teams.

I don't think we even have a director of scouting right now, which I think is absolutely nuts, but what do I know.
Don Boyd jumped into that role this past summer, whether they've changed his title or not I have no clue

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Green doesn't seem like someone who's highly in-demand like Berube or Evason, so I don't think he has that leverage. We also didn't want go 3.5 mil on Berube, someone who we reportedly had interest in for a while.

Were is we didn't want to go 3.5 on Berube coming from, I hadn't seen that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Presser is at 1.

Hmmm...3.5 mil really isn't that high for a coach these days, That's really not a good sign of things if that was a dealbreaker. I'd rather hear that we just didn't like his interview.
It sounds like we liked another coach's interview and track record with young players more and considering Berube wanted a lot of cash and only has one exceptional season as a coach (of an exceptional team which we absolutely are not) under his belt.

Money matters and is a factor but I do not read that as the only reason we didn't go for Berube was money.

Also the Leafs are out of the playoffs so expect all the Sportsnet talking heads to take as many pot shots at the Sens as possible becauss they have to pander to dumb Leafs fans at all times with how much of a disaster the Rogers NHL TV deal has become. They desperately need all the clicks.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Obviously, speculation vs reporting has to be distinguished, but Friedman is a smart and careful guy. He doesn't openly "wonder" about things that aren't safe for him to wonder about.

I think the way this was worded is slightly misleading.

Friedman said Green was hard on Quinn Hughes and Pettersson and really grinded them, and was talking about how tough he can be. Then he was saying he wondered if because Keith played with Green, it was like they know the guy and this would work for us.

He didn’t really wonder if Brady had a huge role, moreso if the connection there assured them there wouldn’t be any issue.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

So that would of been a 7 million salary,
3.5 from St Louis + 3.5 from Ottawa.

only 3.5 in year 1 Sens pay, then jumps to 7 for rest of term.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Guy wanted lots of money AND apparently a team that could make the playoffs. I’ve been job hunting and I’ve never settled for a job that gave me nothing of what I wanted
Well sometimes you need to work at a job you don't really like just to pay the bills!

Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Don Boyd jumped into that role this past summer, whether they've changed his title or not I have no clue
Nothing official on the website (BTW they still have capuano and Alfie listed as assistants) , but that's good to know!

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The Ian Mendez TSN1200 interview about Green was really solid
Thanks for sharing. Just listened to it.

There’s a few points I noted from Mendes from this interview. If you look at Berube’s, Deboer’s & Tochets record in their first 250 games, they were below a .500 win percentage.

The other less notable yet relatively interesting/relevant point he mentioned was the idea of “culture change” which meant pushing the players harder to achieve more which will start in training camp.

Remember, the above is what Mendes said.

I get (Mendes mentioned this as well) the emotional reaction from Senator fans. But, I do think a good analysis includes digging beneath the surface to explain what was happening that can or could explain the numbers.

All of this = FWIW.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Presser is at 1.

We don't have the context.

Not wanting to pay that doesn't mean we're a "budget" team like we were under Melnyk. It could simply mean that the difference between Berube and Green was not worth the additional salary to us.

What people need to understand is that almost every team in the league is technically a "budget" team, except for a few teams like Toronto and New York where the ceiling for running an NHL organization without concern for money is lower than the floor for any realistic budget they would be restricted to, so they can essentially spend what they want.

GMs of most teams need to be able to justify expenses and operate within certain frameworks. That is not the same as a team like Ottawa or Arizona operating below the cap floor (in real dollars), or Ottawa starting a rebuild because their stars will be too expensive as UFAs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
NHL coaches now with teams who had no previous NHL coaching experience
Greg Cronin - Ducks
Andre Tourigny - Utah
Ryan Huska - Flames
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Luke Richardson - Hawks
Jared Bednar - Avs
Vincent Pascal - Jackets
Derek Lalond - Wings
Kris Knoblauch - Oilers
Jim Hiller - Kings
Martin St Louis - Habs
Drew Bannister - Blues
Jon Cooper - Lightning
Sheldon Keefe - Leafs
Spencer Carbury - Caps
A lot of those guys were at least assistants/associates on very successful coaching staffs before making the jump though. They were part of a winning environment at one point. Green hasn't had that yet in the NHL.

Of course that doesn't mean Green can't do well, but it is a rare career path to have a losing record in your fist 7 seasons as a coach, then get another head coaching gig without at least building yourself back up by being an assistant on a winning team first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad