Line Combos: Is there a logical reason...

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sid was asked what type of player you have to be to play on a line with you, Sid responded by saying a player who wants to play a fast game.

That isn't BB game at all, if BB does earn himself a spot in the top 6 i think he would fit much better with Geno.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
I don't think Sid needs a Neal-esque finisher. I think Beau could potentially be great for him. What sucked about that Boston series was that every time Sid got into the offensive zone he got practically molested by 4 Bruins jerseys. Kunitz and Dupuis relied solely on Sid to make things happen. Beau is creative, can win battles, and quite possibly be the guy that creates enough space for Sid, or if Sid has a ****** night, our entire top line doesn't get neutralized.

I'm not saying this is an absolute. We have 6 great pieces in: Kunitz, Neal, Beau, Dupuis, Jokinen, Megna. Koon is listed as probable for today (I believe), and Neal is out, so Bylsma should try some **** out, to see who truly deserves those Top 6 spots, and not just run KCD for eternity.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And only 2 of those 5 happened while on a line with Crosby.

In response to the bolded, can you see why he wouldn't switch him off the top line for a future Hall of Famer?

Was/is he playing at a better rate than, Dupuis? At this point in JI's career, Dupers<<=>>Iggy, but one has a lot better wheels and does much much more on both sides of the puck, cheaper.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Bennett doesn't have to be a sniper to play well with Sid. Sid may be an elite passer, but he's also an elite goal scorer. Why can't Bennett set up Sid? Dupuis and Kunitz can't. It's not like players fit into neat categories like EA Sports. Sid is an elite hockey player at all facets of the game. He needs someone else who can think and perform the game at his level. Kunitz and Duper can't but Bennett has shown he has that ability.

I just don't think it makes sense to give a guy like Beau Bennett control of how a line works when you've got, you know, the world's best playmaker already on the line.

Bennett's good. Bennett's not good enough to make Sid change what he's doing to compensate for Bennett's weaknesses. If Henrik Sedin fell into Shero's lap, maybe you think about that, but Bennett's not on his level, especially now.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Putting Bennett on the third line won't maximize his skill set. Since he's already a pretty good passer, he'd need some guys to finish. Third liners aren't going to do that often enough. If the Penguins want to get the most out of Bennett, they need to play him with their best players.

I think eventually he'll play with Crosby, but right now I'd like to see him play with Malkin and Neal. Both are elite goal scorers that can benefit from Bennett's play-making abilities. Yes, Malkin is a good puck distributor too, but he's also a 50-goal scorer and frankly plays better when he takes a shoot-first approach to the game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sid was asked what type of player you have to be to play on a line with you, Sid responded by saying a player who wants to play a fast game.

That isn't BB game at all, if BB does earn himself a spot in the top 6 i think he would fit much better with Geno.

Well then Sid is an idiot. If he seriously would rather play with Super Duper over Bennett, I have to question if he has fully recovered from his concussion.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I just don't think it makes sense to give a guy like Beau Bennett control of how a line works when you've got, you know, the world's best playmaker already on the line.

Bennett's good. Bennett's not good enough to make Sid change what he's doing to compensate for Bennett's weaknesses. If Henrik Sedin fell into Shero's lap, maybe you think about that, but Bennett's not on his level, especially now.

Okay then what do you do with Bennett? Malkin wants the puck on his stick all the time. I guess you can't let Bennett control how a line works when you've got the world's second best playmaker already on the line.

This is a poor argument IMO.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Sobering stuff..... one has to admit.

However, having teased us with a few absolute snipes at the NHL level, and looking at how he plays.... I just have to think that there will be more goals coming from him than your breakdown suggests.

I admit I am onto hope also for this one, but with how good his alround game has looked, I still concur with the OP - it seems extremely weird that nothing is ever attempted on a trial basis when it comes to the first line. Bennett related or not.

Beau's going to be one of those wingers like Tanguay or Wheeler who get center like numbers, where he'll get a a few more assists than goals simply because he's not a natural finisher.

That being said, our 2 centers are natural finishers, and it would be a perfect fit regardless of whether Beau plays with 87 or 71.

As for the bolded part, we've all seen that the only time we get to witness any experimentation is when somebody gets hurt. That's why I catch myself (and feeling a little sick about it) that Dupuis pulls a groin just so I can ****ing see what other possibilities are out there.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well then Sid is an idiot. If he seriously would rather play with Super Duper over Bennett, I have to question if he has fully recovered from his concussion.

I think it explains why DB gave Megna some shifts with Sid earlier this year, it also explains why Sid with Neal didn't work, If Dupuis would get hurt i bet Megna would be the guy to take Dupuis spot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it explains why DB gave Megna some shifts with Sid earlier this year, it also explains why Sid with Neal didn't work, If Dupuis would get hurt i bet Megna would be the guy to take Dupuis spot.

If Megna continues to grow as a player, then I'm fine with him being the Dupuis replacement. What the line needs is more skill. If it has to have speed to go with that skill, then Megnatron it is.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Sid did not win a cup with speed on his wings. Sid doesn't know what's best for this team or himself.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Okay then what do you do with Bennett? Malkin wants the puck on his stick all the time. I guess you can't let Bennett control how a line works when you've got the world's second best playmaker already on the line.

This is a poor argument IMO.

Putting Bennett with Sid because you can't think of anywhere else Bennett should go is a far worse one. Sid doesn't exist so Bennett can get a few extra assists and we can all feel good about his stats.

Look, here's the strategy on a Sid line. One guy looks for holes (Kunitz). Another guy retrieves pucks, forces turnovers, and creates lanes by skating into coverage...he's really only looking for rebounds, not clean shots (Dupuis). The third guy is in Supreme command of the whole thing, making decisions about how best to take advantage of any lanes there are, whether it's to pass it to a D, the shooting wing or take it to the net.

You're suggesting to put Sid in the Kunitz role so Bennett can be in the Sid role. Not only is playing Sid away from his strength crazy--it's already been tried in the Olympics with better players than we have and didn't work (Nash, Sid, Staal).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Putting Bennett with Sid because you can't think of anywhere else Bennett should go is a far worse one. Sid doesn't exist so Bennett can get a few extra assists and we can all feel good about his stats.

Look, here's the strategy on a Sid line. One guy looks for holes (Kunitz). Another guy retrieves pucks, forces turnovers, and creates lanes by skating into coverage...he's really only looking for rebounds, not clean shots (Dupuis). The third guy is in Supreme command of the whole thing, making decisions about how best to take advantage of any lanes there are, whether it's to pass it to a D, the shooting wing or take it to the net.

You're suggesting to put Sid in the Kunitz role so Bennett can be in the Sid role. Not only is playing Sid away from his strength crazy--it's already been tried in the Olympics with better players than we have and didn't work (Nash, Sid, Staal).

I asked you a question about where you would put Bennett that you didn't address. Also, I'm so tired of people acting like there is only 1 way to build a line with Geno and Sid. Some posters act like we have the pickiest stars in the game.

"Geno can only play with a Kunitz-Malone type and a Neal-Sykora type. He needs one of each".

"Sid needs a guy that looks for holes like Kunitz and a guy that is fast, feisty and sucks at stickhandling".

Give me a break. What they need are good hockey players to play with them. There isn't one formula to make a line work. Kunitz served in the "Dupuis role" that you described on Malkin's line and everyone thrived on that line. I don't see why Kunitz couldn't take that role on Sid's line and have Bennett find soft spots and hit Sid with sick dishes in open ice. At least give it a shot.

Also, the Olympics are a short series and are about finding lightning in a bottle. So Sid didn't have magical chemistry with Nash and Staal. Suddenly that means Bennett, a player that is totally different than both of the players you mentioned, won't work with Sid. This is so ridiculous.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Beau doesn't have to play Duper's role on that line. Sid can use Beau as a guy to work give and go's through the neutral zone. And as someone who can set him up. Sid is the best in the league at finding soft spots in coverage. It's a different dynamic.

And it's not like he's a perimeter player. He's gone to the net and battled as hard as anyone along the boards.

Sid can play with more than just coal miners. I promise you.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Beau doesn't have to play Duper's role on that line. Sid can use Beau as a guy to work give and go's through the neutral zone. And as someone who can set him up. Sid is the best in the league at finding soft spots in coverage. It's a different dynamic.

And it's not like he's a perimeter player. He's gone to the net and battled as hard as anyone along the boards.

Sid can play with more than just coal miners. I promise you.

No you don't understand. They tried playing Sid with Rick Nash and Eric Staal in the Olympics and it didn't work. Therefore, Sid can only play well with guys who think the puck is a hot potato.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
No you don't understand. They tried playing Sid with Rick Nash and Eric Staal in the Olympics and it didn't work. Therefore, Sid can only play well with guys who think the puck is a hot potato.

I can agree that Sid/Geno need players that will get them the puck. But to say that Dupuis would do a better job of that when Beau hasn't even been tried there is just ridiculous. Without even factoring in that Beau would....uh....get Sid the puck in scoring areas far more often.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I asked you a question about where you would put Bennett that you didn't address. Also, I'm so tired of people acting like there is only 1 way to build a line with Geno and Sid. Some posters act like we have the pickiest stars in the game.

"Geno can only play with a Kunitz-Malone type and a Neal-Sykora type. He needs one of each".

"Sid needs a guy that looks for holes like Kunitz and a guy that is fast, feisty and sucks at stickhandling".

Give me a ****ing break. What they need is good hockey players to play with them.

Hockey doesn't work that way. You can't say "well, Backstrom's good, Henrik Sedin's good and Mike Ribeiro's good, I bet they'd be awesome together." They wouldn't. A Yakupov/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk line would likewise be a complete disaster.

And as far as Bennett goes, it would be wiser to play him in goal than it would be to make him the Quarterback on a line with Sidney Crosby, while the latter just goes to spots and stands there, which isn't to say it would be wise to play him in goal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can agree that Sid/Geno need players that will get them the puck. But to say that Dupuis would do a better job of that when Beau hasn't even been tried there is just ridiculous. Without even factoring in that Beau would....uh....get Sid the puck in scoring areas far more often.

Exactly. It's not like Bennett is going to skate end to enders and ignore Sid and Geno. The dude is a good puck retriever and get this, he can actually make a move and hang on to it.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh with Duper. I really like the guy and his speed does create opportunities. The problem comes when we play tight checking teams and the Sid line has the puck in the zone. Duper can't make a move to fight off a defender in tight quarters. He just doesn't have the hands so he just whacks it around looking for a double covered Crosby.

Bennett or even Megna (if he continues to play this well) have the hands to make a move in tight quarters and Bennett has the passing skills to find Sid when he is open. It's really just common sense. Maybe it won't work, but it's certainly worth a shot.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Exactly. It's not like Bennett is going to skate end to enders and ignore Sid and Geno. The dude is a good puck retriever and get this, he can actually make a move and hang on to it.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh with Duper. I really like the guy and his speed does create opportunities. The problem comes when we play tight checking teams and the Sid line has the puck in the zone. Duper can't make a move to fight off a defender in tight quarters. He just doesn't have the hands so he just whacks it around looking for a double covered Crosby.

Bennett or even Megna (if he continues to play this well) have the hands to make a move in tight quarters and Bennett has the passing skills to find Sid when he is open. It's really just common sense. Maybe it won't work, but it's certainly worth a shot.

So now you want to use Bennett in the Dupuis role instead of the Sid role.

Please explain to me how that is not a lateral move.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hockey doesn't work that way. You can't say "well, Backstrom's good, Henrik Sedin's good and Mike Ribeiro's good, I bet they'd be awesome together." They wouldn't. A Yakupov/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk line would likewise be a complete disaster.

And as far as Bennett goes, it would be wiser to play him in goal than it would be to make him the Quarterback on a line with Sidney Crosby, while the latter just goes to spots and stands there, which isn't to say it would be wise to play him in goal.

Show me where I said stick 3 players who play the game exactly the same way together and make a line. I'm not sure if you are intentionally being obtuse or not but your arguments are really weird.

Why does putting Bennett with Crosby automatically mean that Bennett controls the line and Sid hides in the corner? I really can't tell if you are being serious.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For now I don't really care. Bennett can come along slowly and I'm hoping he takes over that spot. IMO that's what this year should be about in terms of lines, Dupuis playing his role on the first line and Bennett taking it over long term.

To be honest I hate the idea that Neal has to be stitched to Malkins hip. I actually would mind seeing...

Neal-Crosby-Bennett - Sid and BB play an active, well rounded game and can feed Neals shot all day

Kunitz-Malkin-Jokinen - I like the Malkin/ JJ duo. Kunitz can bring some "puck get" and defensive play to that line to round it out a little better

Megna-Sutter-Dupuis - I like the speed and active play around Sutter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad