Is there a bigger homer announcer than Jack Edwards?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm not a Sabres fan, but I find Jeaneret's particularly joyful brand of homerism quite endearing, at least in measured doses. In contrast, Edwards' homerism comes in the form of pure, unadulterated *****ebaggery. If given the choice, I would watch an entire hockey game on mute rather than listen to Edwards.

RJ has always been RJ. His style is genuine, based off of as you say, his enthusiasm for the game....

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
No and it's awesome.

People complain about the Pierre McGuire's and Jack Edwards of the commentary world, but without them we'd be stuck with the dryest, most predictable broadcasts of all time. I am very appreciative of Mickey Redmond for this reason.

Don't get the idea that you shouldn't be a homer on a local home broadcast. Sure, there's limits, but it's fun as hell.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
It makes me cringe so hard, but maybe Bruin fans love it and that's who he does it for, so whatever I guess.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The biggest homer thing about him is that he constantly calls out guys for diving or whatever and fails to aknowledge that guys like Marchand on his team are known for this. It's okay to call players out, it's okay to call Marchand out but saying that he is a great player regardless and stuff, but the way he goes about stuff is just complete homery.
Still remember how he blamed Orpik for being ko'd by Thornton because thats what happens when you dont fight. It's not even that he was completely wrong on this as Orpik probably could have avoided it by fighting earlier, but dont act like the Bruins are saints all the time and acknowledge when they f***ed up big time. Thats what I hate most about him. Otherwise it's fine to be a fan of the team you are spending ur life with.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nobody could ever be more of a homer, and more embarrassing, than Joe Bowen.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wore face paint and held pom poms during the broadcasts.
Lol....when Joe Bowen and Harry Neale used to work together it was comedy gold!! Even Bowen and Jim Ralph were fun....i swear Bowen has never been sober while doing a broadcast.:laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Lol....when Joe Bowen and Harry Neale used to work together it was comedy gold!! Even Bowen and Jim Ralph were fun....i swear Bowen has never been sober while doing a broadcast.:laugh:

I've always enjoyed Jim Ralph and will admit that Bowen and Neale together did, very much, sound like two guys that we're on their fourth cocktail, calling the game.

Reactions: Liferleafer

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
The Penguins color guys is worse. He's a massive homer and also just yells out random gibberish.
Guys or guy? I'm not even sure which one you're referring to.

If you're talking about Bourque, he rarely ever drifts away from the game play (save for the occasional story from his playing days) and doesn't do anything that would make him seem like a clown. If you're talking about Errey, he's toned it down a lot in the last year or so.

You do know that Steigerwald has been gone since 2017, right?

Sep 19, 2008
No, but he also gets excited when the other team scores too. He is a homer but he also seems to like hockey too in general.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Guys or guy? I'm not even sure which one you're referring to.

If you're talking about Bourque, he rarely ever drifts away from the game play (save for the occasional story from his playing days) and doesn't do anything that would make him seem like a clown. If you're talking about Errey, he's toned it down a lot in the last year or so.

You do know that Steigerwald has been gone since 2017, right?

Colour guy. Not sure who he is. Don't listen to Pens broadcasts often.

Could have been Stiegerwald. Just the worst piece of garbage I've ever heard on a broadcast.

Does that sound like him?

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but his guest spot on the 31 Thoughts podcast was great. I couldn't stand the guy, but now I begrudgingly have some respect for him. Smart dude, plays to the fans, loves the Bruins.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I say this whenever this thread pops up - Andy Brickley is worse, he's just more low-key about it. A common sequence of events is Edwards praising something the opposing team did like a nice goal and whatnot then Brickley comes in to buzzkill everything and be like "I mean sure but it only happened because..."

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Lol between this call and the ‘trip’ call last night those two pigeons in stripes should be filling out resumes today.

Jack IS a homer. This isn’t telling Bruin fans something they already know. At least he acknowledges there is another team on the ice most nights.

I’ve watched enough CBC Toronto games to know what I’m getting in to there. You’d swear it was a one team scrimmage for all the talk they give anyone not in a blue jersey.

You could not have possibly proven your lack of credibility any more with this inane comment.

The team that does the Maple Leafs broadcasts is well known throughout the hockey world for their obvious and clear bias against them. They have even publicly admitted it.

Next time you may want to think twice before you make things up.

As for Edwards he has no respect in the hockey world, his grossly blatant homerism has rendered his opinion moot. His lies and plastic deception tactics are no surprise and as a matter of fact it is taken for granted that he is full of poop.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
not the biggest homer but it was really funny hearing the announcer say "NOOO" when Pettersson scores

but they do give credit where its due

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Most announcers are biased, ours just has comedic value lol

FWIW, Edwards sometimes screams as loud when the other team scores. I'm probably as biased as he is towards the Bruins, but I can't bring myself to have that natural reaction when another team scores.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
The biggest homer thing about him is that he constantly calls out guys for diving or whatever and fails to aknowledge that guys like Marchand on his team are known for this. It's okay to call players out, it's okay to call Marchand out but saying that he is a great player regardless and stuff, but the way he goes about stuff is just complete homery.
Still remember how he blamed Orpik for being ko'd by Thornton because thats what happens when you dont fight. It's not even that he was completely wrong on this as Orpik probably could have avoided it by fighting earlier, but dont act like the Bruins are saints all the time and acknowledge when they ****ed up big time. Thats what I hate most about him. Otherwise it's fine to be a fan of the team you are spending ur life with.

Are you expecting every home announcer to recite back a previous incident of their own team's players doing something before they criticize another team for doing it? Do the announcers for the team you support do that?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
You could not have possibly proven your lack of credibility any more with this inane comment.

The team that does the Maple Leafs broadcasts is well known throughout the hockey world for their obvious and clear bias against them. They have even publicly admitted it.

Next time you may want to think twice before you make things up.

As for Edwards he has no respect in the hockey world, his grossly blatant homerism has rendered his opinion moot. His lies and plastic deception tactics are no surprise and as a matter of fact it is taken for granted that he is full of poop.
Web of lies.

Next

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have no issues listening to Jack E. I absolutely respected him in the 2010 Flyers comeback giving a ton of credit to the Flyers in the waning minutes rather than dump on the Bruins. I have a hard time listening to the Flyers broadcast, to be honest. When the other team makes a beautiful play, call it that way. And don't call every goal against like you just watched your dog die.

Canadian broadcasts are usually quite good for pure hockey enjoyment ... except when it is the Leafs. TMLSN is the worst for this, even when the other team is Canadian.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad