Is there a bigger homer announcer than Jack Edwards?

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
No, I want to punch him in the face every time I hear his screeching voice. I also hate his stupid glasses that make him look like a f***ing nerd. f*** him.

Reactions: Kreator

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would say Joe Bowen. Between his giggling and homer holymakinov I love the Leafs calls. He's right there next to Edwards as Brutal Homer announcers go.

Reactions: Frosty415

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
In Jack Edwards' defense, he has done many national telecasts at ESPN and he did a decent job as their second or third tier play-by-play announcer. He's capable of being relatively unbiased. Perhaps the people at NESN should take some of the responsibility for such a homer broadcast.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Glad it's gotten to the point that there's a thread about the announcer... While ignoring a complete dive.

Way to go NHL. These are the fans you deserve.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Glad it's gotten to the point that there's a thread about the announcer... While ignoring a complete dive.

Way to go NHL. These are the fans you deserve.

You might want to note that this thread is in fact about announcers. Happens all the time. People have many opinions about announcers as we are forced to listen to them frequently. Have no idea what dive you reference as this thread is not about that. Perhaps search for a thread about a dive? You might find the content you seek there. Similarly, if you seek discussion about a particular player, you might go to a thread about that player rather than about a city, or food or about a different player. Just trying to help improve your experience.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you are going to be a homer at least own it. The ones I can't stand are the ones that are homers and then want to try and be passive/aggressive about it. ( looking at you JR and Eddie O. )

Reactions: Gnashville

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The thing about Edwards' homerism is sure, it's pretty obvious most of the time, but when he's being relatively neutral and just calling plays, he's really good. This is where he stands out from guys like Bowen, who's an over-the-top homer, relatively sucks at play-calling, and should only be on local radio, not nationwide television broadcasts.

Despite the occasional Bruins-homer calls, rants, and outbursts (or just letting Andy Brickley talk at all), Jack's in the top tier of play-by-play guys.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I would say Joe Bowen. Between his giggling and homer holymakinov I love the Leafs calls. He's right there next to Edwards as Brutal Homer announcers go.
Every teams radio announcer is a big homer. That is the way is should be. Who wants to listen to a game where every play is evened out? When I have to listen to the radio, I want to hear the broadcast from my team's perspective not a boring monotone statement on how they are all good and that they all deserve a lollipop at the end of the game. Of course TWS doesn't like Joe Bowen another poster could have written his lines for him. So predictable. Hofstra University students are just as bias as anyone else when it comes to radio play by play.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
The only one who gave him a run for his money has been fired by the Pens.

Nothing like making a joke about someone who tragically died in a plane crash. I'm a Pens fan and I couldn't have been happier the day the organization came to its senses and canned him. Steve Mears isn't exactly Foster Hewitt, but he's at least not an idiot.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Whoever Buffalo’s is. He is the worst announcer in the league

Rick Jeaneret or Dan Dunleaavy?

I assume you mean RJ, who is a homer - but he is calling the game for The Sabres network. He's a little long in the tooth, but still a beauty in his own right....

It's national broadcasts where people being homers is the most annoying.

Enjoy him or don't!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Toronto had one just as bad a few years ago for Sportsnet

I think that was Joe Bowen, he has gotten progressively worse with the giggling, god bless you boys and holy mackinov's. He actually proclaimed the Leafs would win the Cup this year this summer. As big a homer Edwards is, I don't ever recall him predicting the Bruins to win the cup in the summer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is that radio guy in Tampa still around? Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a homer he is, but his goal calls could make your ears bleed.

The Colorado guy is another one. Sometimes, you can barely hear his voice when the opposition scores.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Watch an Avalanche broadcast then revisit this.

If you're talking about previous years, their play by play guy isn't around anymore. He was also not a homer. I'm assuming you focus on his dumb whisper "score" when the opposition scores and assume he's a homer even though he spends a good chunk of the game talking up the other team?

He was an awful play by play man. His hockey knowledge was lacking and would lose the play and cause an awkward silence when the whistle was blown and he had no idea why. He would go off on tangents and not even realize a penalty was called or a scoring chance happened. Terrible, terrible play by play guy but he really wasn't a homer.

Their new guy comes from local radio and, like all local radio guys, was a homer on the radio. I think he's done a fairly good job trying to pull it back but his "no penalty on the play" in an exasperated voice whenever a borderline non call occurs on an Avs player is pretty annoying. I'm hoping he stops doing that as he becomes more comfortable.

Not sure which one you were talking about though. Theres been comments in this thread where people didn't even realize the guy they're saying is a homer on the Avs broadcast was fired over the summer.

Edit: the last two posters don't realize he was fired either.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Rick Jeaneret or Dan Dunleaavy?

I assume you mean RJ, who is a homer - but he is calling the game for The Sabres network. He's a little long in the tooth, but still a beauty in his own right....

It's national broadcasts where people being homers is the most annoying.

Enjoy him or don't!!

I'm not a Sabres fan, but I find Jeaneret's particularly joyful brand of homerism quite endearing, at least in measured doses. In contrast, Edwards' homerism comes in the form of pure, unadulterated douchebaggery. If given the choice, I would watch an entire hockey game on mute rather than listen to Edwards.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad