Is there a bigger homer announcer than Jack Edwards?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I agree announcers for there own teams should be homers. It adds value to the fans listening to them. I just don't think they should be so blatant or rude to the other team. Have some decency and respect. You're a professional, act like.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
jack edwards annoys me

as a devils fan, but mostly because i’m a yankees fan, the entire boston sports media annoys me

but i root for the team who has michael kay (which i’m ok with) so who am i to throw stones?

fans like when their home broadcast team is rooting with them in their living room. it’s perfectly fine.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Bruins are playing the Stars right now.

It's 1-1. Dallas scored first and the Bruins tied it shortly after. Edwards just stated that the scoring chances are 9-0 Boston. He states that the Stars goal doesn't count as a scoring chance because Rask should have saved it.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016

It's 1-1. Dallas scored first and the Bruins tied it shortly after. Edwards just stated that the scoring chances are 9-0 Boston. He states that the Stars goal doesn't count as a scoring chance because Rask should have saved it.
The stat scoring chances are shots from a certain area in front of the net and between the dots. The Stars goal was a shorthanded rush shot from well outside that area. It technically wasn't a scoring chance, and probably should've been saved. Not a pretty goal at all

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Goes too far often, but also gets excited on opposing plays/complements the opposing team when they are doing well, which I rarely if ever see when I'm watching another team's feed

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I dunno, I don't get what the issue is. Sometimes when I watch a game I want the announcer to be a homer. More entertaining if they are into it as well. Then watch the opposing teams feed when you want a break.
Yeah. I truly don’t mind - and kind of expect - an announcer to support their team. But they mustn’t diminish the opponent to do it. I mean, a guy can call it fair and honest and root for his team at the same time.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Are you expecting every home announcer to recite back a previous incident of their own team's players doing something before they criticize another team for doing it? Do the announcers for the team you support do that?

No but other announcers are not being as overdramatic as he is.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm not a Sabres fan, but I find Jeaneret's particularly joyful brand of homerism quite endearing, at least in measured doses. In contrast, Edwards' homerism comes in the form of pure, unadulterated *****ebaggery. If given the choice, I would watch an entire hockey game on mute rather than listen to Edwards.

Jeanerette's homerism isn't what ticks me off. It's his terrible voice.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Looking for reasons to be offended isn't healthy. Reread your post - where is the issue?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Edwards is great. Goes too far sometimes but sings the praises of whoever deserves it, regardless of the Jersey.

FluffyMcAvoy

Oct 11, 2017
Boston, MA
As a Bruins' fan... I LOVE JACK EDWARDS. Guy is the definition of entertainment. He is fun, vocal, knowledgeable, and biased. Yes, he is biased, he is a Bruins' fan. Which I find to be awesome. We often reference his quotes among my friends when we talk about hockey and Bruins. There are just too many: "Bergeron, hashtag leadership", or "German engineering" (with German accent) when talking about Seidenberg. Or my all time favorite quote of "Lucic... top of the circle... Horton... the drive... SCOOOOOOOOOOREEEEES!!!! THE BRUINS KNOCK OUT MONTREAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!". God, I love that man so much!

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I can't believe people get bothered by this. Actually, when the Leafs had Joe Bowen on TV and he was a homer I enjoyed watching games more, to be completely honest.

This. Edwards is a HUGE homer but incredibly passionate about the Bruins and very good at his job. I wouldn't want it any other way.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Homer announcers make for uneducated fans, unfortunately. Give me a call down the middle, accurately describing the action and pointing out players on either team when they make a mistake.

other than fights, this is exactly what Jack does. he calls great plays and goals from the other team as if the Bruins had done it. he also slobbers over certain opposing players like Nash. he does both to the point where some Bruins fans dont like him for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad