Is the NHL back to being one of the "4 Major Sports" in the US

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I love people who think NASCAR isn't a sport. How do you define sport? I'm assuming that not calling poker a sport you're going to give me the it doesn't take any physical strength to do.

OK, fine, before you waste your time posting that BS excuse, try doing this to see what a racecar driver feels:

Get in a cult de sac in the middle of the summer, put on all your winter clothes with a big winter jacket, roll up your windows and crank your heat all the way to max. Now get 2 or 3 of your friends to do the same thing and drive around for 3 hours within inches of each other the whole time. Now picture doing that at up to 200mph. Then give me this speech about how it's not a sport again.

Seriously, I used to be big into NASCAR but not anymore since it became the Nextel Cup and made all these rule changes, which lost a lot of fans by the way, and still love racing in general. Every time I hear somebody saying racing is not a sport, I just face palm over how ignorant they are.

I already discussed it above on this. Look at my two above posts. Its no more a sport than chess and poker.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
F1 is pretty terrible to watch. I mean, passing is part of racing.

You obviously did not watch the Chinese GP then...

Also, it should be noted Spain wanted auto racing at their Olympics but the IOC does not have Auto Racing as a recognized sport due to the motor providing the power. However, they made motorcycling a recognized sport that is not in the games due to the rider having a ton of influence over the bike. I guess the same distinction is made for equestrian.

Dado

If it competes with hockey for fan dollars, it's a sport.

NFL, NCAA football and MLB are clearly the Big, with no one else close.

PGA, NCAA basketball, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, pro tennis, Olympics -- all these are distinctly second tier in NA.

As NA loses relative market power, its more interesting to see where things stack on a global scale. Hockey, along with NASCAR, NBA and a couple of others drops to the third tier.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Nascar isn't a sport, darts isnt a sport, poker isn't a sport, Golf and Bowling as sports is stretching it imo. tHE ONLY PART OF gOLF that qualifies as athletic is the drive, the rest is just walking and chips, putts and a slightly efforted iron shot.

In the US;

MLB
NBA
NFL
NHL

InCanada;

NHL
NHL
NHL
MLB

MLB has lost quite a bit of popularity in Canada
I'd say it goes

1)NHL AINEC

2)CFL
3)NFL
4)MLS
5)MLB
6)CHL
7)NBA

I disagree with both of these

I think it depends a) who your buddy circle is in Canada b) what your city is most into

Generally though I find it is
1) NHL
2) CFL

3) everything else

With one of my groups of friends its:
1) NBA
2) nothing else

With another group its:

1) NFL
2) CFL
3) NHL

With another group its:
1) UEFA
2) Cricket
3) Rugby

And with another its:
1) CFL
2) NHL
3) nothing else

And this one friend:
1) Only the local teams, no matter how major or minor

And then myself it is:
1) CFL-NHL
2) NBA
3) nothing else

It really just depends on your personal interests, and those around you. I would say the country as a whole is obviously NHL here in Canada, but CFL in western Canada is a close second...in the summer, its "the" big sport. Last season TSN had better CFL ratings than NHL (although that has a lot to do with the fact NHL is mainly HNIC/CBC, with TSN getting "second picks") but it is still significant

I have noticed post NHL lockout, both NHL and CFL has been wildly popular, only getting more and more popular in Canada.

I am unaware of what its like in the US, but I know NHL is only hot (as in Front Page worthy) in certain markets and CFL is pretty much non existent there.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I disagree with both of these

I think it depends a) who your buddy circle is in Canada b) what your city is most into

Generally though I find it is
1) NHL
2) CFL

3) everything else

With one of my groups of friends its:
1) NBA
2) nothing else

With another group its:

1) NFL
2) CFL
3) NHL

With another group its:
1) UEFA
2) Cricket
3) Rugby

And with another its:
1) CFL
2) NHL
3) nothing else

And this one friend:
1) Only the local teams, no matter how major or minor

And then myself it is:
1) CFL-NHL
2) NBA
3) nothing else

It really just depends on your personal interests, and those around you. I would say the country as a whole is obviously NHL here in Canada, but CFL in western Canada is a close second...in the summer, its "the" big sport. Last season TSN had better CFL ratings than NHL (although that has a lot to do with the fact NHL is mainly HNIC/CBC, with TSN getting "second picks") but it is still significant

I have noticed post NHL lockout, both NHL and CFL has been wildly popular, only getting more and more popular in Canada.

I am unaware of what its like in the US, but I know NHL is only hot (as in Front Page worthy) in certain markets and CFL is pretty much non existent there.
roccerfeller where i run in ontario

1)NHL
2)MLB
3)NFL
4)NBA or CFL
5)the sports from immigrants

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Depends where you are, since Toronto is the only canadian city to have a team in multiple professional leagues we are the only city that has experienced them.

In terms of popularity:

NHL

NFL (pretty popular considering Canada doesnt have a team)
NBA

MLS
MLB

CFL

In terms of live game atmosphere in Toronto:

MLS

NBA

NHL

CFL

MLB
This is true.

Retail1LO*

Yes, I'd think that hockey is back in the '4 major sports' category again. I know the lockout ruined this, but I know personally that people who stopped watching the NHL after the lockout are resuming again. Good sign in my book.

Oh, and I was able to get some of my friends this past season from Florida to start watching hockey. Actually, one of them really wanted to start watching it, so interest around the sport is definitely picking up.

...now if the NHL had only signed on with ESPN... don't get me wrong, there are definitely flaws with NHL and ESPN together, but it really does expose the US market to hockey.

See, I don't understand this. I don't like NASCAR. I won't watch it if it's on TV, regardless of channel. I don't know how simply having something on TV "exposes" anyone to it. Either you're looking for it on TV, or you're not. I mean, take the Coyotes for example. Not only are folks not showing up at the games, but they're not watching on TV either. How many people are really being exposed to the product? The only people tuning in are the ones that already like the game.

I just don't see TV as exposing anything to an audience. The audience gets exposed by some other means, and TV exploits that initial exposure and attempts to run with it. Its success is dependent on the level of success that the actual product achieves on it's own merit.

Retail1LO*

Yeah, in terms of fan interest, it's:

NFL
College football
MLB
College basketball
NBA
NHL

This would be my guess. However, I think there's a very real chance you could even slot the PGA in over top of the NHL. Far more people golf than play hockey. I have no numbers to back it up, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Depends where you are, since Toronto is the only canadian city to have a team in multiple professional leagues we are the only city that has experienced them.

In terms of popularity:

NHL

NFL (pretty popular considering Canada doesnt have a team)
NBA

MLS
MLB

CFL

In terms of live game atmosphere in Toronto:

MLS

NBA

NHL

CFL

MLB

Where do the NLL Toronto Rock fit into that ranking?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Right now it is the 4th sport...In 5 years MMA will far surpass the NHL. I see hockey and baseball going downhill and MMA climbing in popularity. Just go to Toronto next week to see the UFC fan expo and see what the scalpers are charging for tickets.

Dado

I don't know how simply having something on TV "exposes" anyone to it

ESPN -- X Games -- turning subculture pastimes into full blown Olympic events.

Exposure isn't enough, of course - there needs to be something about the activity that appeals to people - but yeah there is ample evidence big exposure can grow the fan base.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Where do the NLL Toronto Rock fit into that ranking?

Well considering they get next to no media coverage, i dont know anyone who has been to/watched a game, and i am the only one of my friends who actually knew Toronto had a lacross team i'd assume last by quite a large margin.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
In southwestern ontario ( Hamilton , Kitchener \ Waterloo , Niagara , London , Windsor) the order gose like this .

1. CFL. \ NHL.
2. Soccer
3. MMA.
4. Everything else

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
In southwestern ontario ( Hamilton , Kitchener \ Waterloo , Niagara , London , Windsor) the order gose like this .

1. CFL. \ NHL.
2. Soccer
3. MMA.
4. Everything else
Nice try JM

The CFL is Number 3

Southwestern Ontario, espcially those that don't have the CFL

NHL
NFL
CFL*(Hamilton only)
Jays
The other stuff.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Right now it is the 4th sport...In 5 years MMA will far surpass the NHL. I see hockey and baseball going downhill and MMA climbing in popularity. Just go to Toronto next week to see the UFC fan expo and see what the scalpers are charging for tickets.

I disagree with the NHL. MLB has already been going downhill. The NHL has so much room to grow in the states though and IS growing.

Btw, does anyone actually have any info on what the most popular sports are in north america. It seems like most people are just guessing and no one really knows the actual answer.

Ignoramus*

The NHL has never been more relevant in Canada and the United States than it is right now. It's easily among the "big 4" again in terms of popularity and relevance. Leaving ESPN has done wonders for the sport. It's regained it's self-respect and brand awareness is through the roof.

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
Hockey Sixth Among Americans’ Favorite Sports in Harris Poll

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2...ong-americans-favorite-sports-in-harris-poll/

Despite its "Big 4" status, hockey was not among the 10 most-popular sports in the US in 1998. It is currently 6th, and 2nd only to the NFL in growth, according to the Harris survey. Hockey is a favorite in the US more than college basketball or pro soccer, which has been stagnant over the past 25 years despite the MLS. Hockey now is better than the best year for golf, tennis or soccer.
Here's the rundown (favorite sport among US fans only):
1. Pro football. Was at 24% in 1985, and saw growth reaching as high as 35% in 2009. Currently 31%.
2. Baseball. Was at 23% in 1985, and has steadily declined to 17% currently.
3. College football. Was at 10% in 1985 and has remained steady at 12% in recent years.
4. Auto Racing (NASCAR et al). Was 5% in 1985. Reached as high as 9% in 2009, but slipped back to a more standard 7%.
5. Men's pro basketball. Was 6% in 1985. Reached as high as 13% in 1998. Currently 6%.
6. Hockey. Was 2% in 1985, and 3% in 1998. Currently 5%.

Remember, this is just the respondent's favorite sport. They can still follow other sports. By asking jut for a favorite sport, the survey takes out having people quantify how much of a fan they are of each sport. They simply answer which one they like the best.

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
They're two different beasts.

Villenueve to start with, is 40 years old, that F1 title came fourteen years ago. His best days behind a wheel are long past him, and even in his best days he was a bit of a flash in the pan.

There's a significant difference between cutting your teeth through your formative racing years in open wheel cars on European circuits to then start driving heavy stock cars going around in circles. Villeneuve, while being North American, moved to Europe when he was in his late teens, he developed as a driver on European circuits in lightweight, open wheelers. Although he returned to race a couple of seasons in CART, he's not been built for NASCAR.

And it works both ways. You honestly think the best NASCAR driver could compete in Formula 1? Hell, moving to F1 from North America in any category of racing is hard enough in itself, only Michael Andretti has had any significant success. Juan-Pablo Montoya too, to a much lesser extent, he was at least competitive before he decided he was more suited to crapping out on his conditioning and getting fat. But guys like Sebastien Bourdais, who won four straight Champ Car titles lasted 27 races with just four point-scoring efforts before being kicked to the curb in favour of a 19-year-old. And as of right now, I don't believe a single American holds a Racing Superlicense required to drive in F1.

We're both right. Both categories require different skill sets. But to say NASCAR is as easy as pie is just ignorant.

I could have said the same 4 years ago for F1 when they still had Traction Control and ABS breaks.

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey
If anyone on here thinks MMA already has or is even remotely close to overtaking NHL in North America, you're out of your damn mind. UFC is LOSING POPULARITY. Their buy rates have been dropping more and more.

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

That's just the way it is. The MLS/EPL MIGHT become #4 in North America as long as ESPN promotes it the way they do and the whole "lets become euro-trash" movement persists that is currently taking place in more progressive cities. I don't get it, because Soccer is just as boring as Nascar,MLB and Golf, but people think they're cultured saying they're a ManU or Barcelona fan.

It's funny too, because people that I've known for most of my life who were always anti-sports and into art and fashion and all of that, are all of the sudden Soccer fans...

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey
The NHL has never been more relevant in Canada and the United States than it is right now. It's easily among the "big 4" again in terms of popularity and relevance. Leaving ESPN has done wonders for the sport. It's regained it's self-respect and brand awareness is through the roof.

VS is channel 146 on my local cable provider. Most people don't even know it exists. ESPN/2 is on channels 35/36, and I assume its just as low if not lower in the channel listings for other Americans.

VS has done a great job as far as giving the NHL time slots throughout the day, but I guarantee you the ratings would be better for games that air on ESPN as opposed to VS. Also, because ESPN doesn't air NHL games, they give it little to no coverage. It's hard to create awareness for your players/brand when they don't get a chance to become household names because they're not in the highlights every night, even if they deserve it more.

Rick Nash homework

Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
If anyone on here thinks MMA already has or is even remotely close to overtaking NHL in North America, you're out of your damn mind. UFC is LOSING POPULARITY. Their buy rates have been dropping more and more.

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

That's just the way it is. The MLS/EPL MIGHT become #4 in North America as long as ESPN promotes it the way they do and the whole "lets become euro-trash" movement persists that is currently taking place in more progressive cities. I don't get it, because Soccer is just as boring as Nascar,MLB and Golf, but people think they're cultured saying they're a ManU or Barcelona fan.

It's funny too, because people that I've known for most of my life who were always anti-sports and into art and fashion and all of that, are all of the sudden Soccer fans...

What wrong with "lets become euro-trash"? It's a good set up since sports like the NFL and MLB should stop portraying airplanes and playing that awful God Bless America song. And I even have took a interest in the sport since the World Cup. It's not my favorite but it's not as bad as I used to think it was. And there no problem with loving the arts since many on this site do as well(like me), so I hope that no diss to the arts. They love soccer, so what, it's better then having most sports fans in America. Actually with the way you're taking this, I want to stop following sports because of this backwoods attitude that anyone that loves the art and hates sports can't love something like soccer. I bet they would love hockey too since it's not a American game but more of a Canadian and some parts of Europe.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

VS is channel 146 on my local cable provider. Most people don't even know it exists. ESPN/2 is on channels 35/36, and I assume its just as low if not lower in the channel listings for other Americans.

VS has done a great job as far as giving the NHL time slots throughout the day, but I guarantee you the ratings would be better for games that air on ESPN as opposed to VS. Also, because ESPN doesn't air NHL games, they give it little to no coverage. It's hard to create awareness for your players/brand when they don't get a chance to become household names because they're not in the highlights every night, even if they deserve it more.

Why are they euro trash? Because they like a clean sport? Because they don't want to see cheaters(MLB) criminals(NFL) fixed games(NBA) or gladiator style nonsense(NHL)? Because they want to see people who speak proper English and not hockey players mumble or NFL style "yo momma" comments?

The NFL is more boring than soccer. How much playtime between commercials again? I am a NY Giants fan too.

CanadaIsHockey

Apr 8, 2008
Laval, Qc. Canada
Popularity in terms of TEAM sports, not individual ones so I will be excluding Racing, MMA, Tennis, Golf. And their current National trends.

In the US: (as someone mentionned above)

NFL: Popularity Highest it's ever been and strong growth.
College Football: Strong constant growth
MLB: Lowest it's ever been and still constant decline, Fan base oldest of all pro team sports.
College Basketball: Growing
NBA: Upward trend, down from the 90s and the Jordan era
NHL: Upward trend, down from the early 90s.
MLS: I don't have enough Data

In Canada:

NHL (And everything Hockey related, IIHF): Highest it's ever been and still very strong growth
NFL: Some growth, the Superbowl is a huge atraction. In general FAR behind hockey.
CFL: Strong growth, much more mediacised in recent years.
NBA: In general stagnant
MLB: Constant decline
MLS: Strong growth with new expansions coming to Vancouver and Montreal. Expect it to surpass MLB within 5-10 years.

North America in General:

NFL
MLB
NBA/NHL: Can surpass the MLB in the next 5-10 years if trends continue
MLS

Once again, this is based on the popularity, TV Ratings, Attendance of all these sports. NOT the Revenues alone they make off major TV Contracts.

obsenssive*

see that's the thing to consider, look at both markets combined. Canada has 34 million people and is the 10-11th richest country in the world. It's actually a pretty important and moderately lucrative market. It only seems unsubstantial because we are next to and compared with the US, who is the biggest and most lucrative economy in the world.

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey
Why are they euro trash? Because they like a clean sport? Because they don't want to see cheaters(MLB) criminals(NFL) fixed games(NBA) or gladiator style nonsense(NHL)? Because they want to see people who speak proper English and not hockey players mumble or NFL style "yo momma" comments?

The NFL is more boring than soccer. How much playtime between commercials again? I am a NY Giants fan too.

Soccer is one of the, if not THE most corrupt sport in the world. FIFA is run by criminals.

The game itself, is a sham. All the diving and fake injuries, etc etc. If you think playing keep away for 90 minutes is more exciting than the NFL, where there is action on every play, well I feel bad for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad