Is the NHL back to being one of the "4 Major Sports" in the US

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Any type of racing is a sport, be it on foot, or in a vehicle. Fataldogg could have the fastest car in the world and still loss to professional drivers. It's all the same skill, just used in a different way.

I wonder what he thinks about horseback riding, surely it's the horse doing all the work right? :laugh:

Cheerleading too ;)

It's not a sport. Sorry, but I'll never change my mind on that. Where are all of the "sport skills" involved in it, personal agility, dexterity, dynamic balance, static balance, hand eye coordination, neuromuscular coordination, or when does flexibility, muscular strength or cardiovascular endurance come in (hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc.)? When you look at it from a "sports skill" POV, than no, it isn't a sport. You can argue that driving requires all of those skills, but I'm not going to buy it. Tell me how those "sports skills" are involved in NASCAR?

Who considers NASCAR drivers "elite athletes." Personally, I think it is ridiculous. Even less popular sports, like swimming in example, people can still appreciate the athleticism it takes to do what Michael Phelps did. Am I supposed to appreciate the athleticism it takes to turn a corner? I didn't know that athleticism was even required to turn a corner.

At least a 100-yard dash competition involves cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, dynamic balance, etc. A shuttle run competition would involve dexterity, agility, flexibility, cardio endurance, muscular strength, etc. When does NASCAR have that?

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's not a sport. Sorry, but I'll never change my mind on that. Where are all of the "sport skills" involved in it, personal agility, dexterity, dynamic balance, static balance, hand eye coordination, neuromuscular coordination, or when does flexibility, muscular strength or cardiovascular endurance come in (hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc.)? When you look at it from a "sports skill" POV, than no, it isn't a sport. You can argue that driving requires all of those skills, but I'm not going to buy it. Tell me how those "sports skills" are involved in NASCAR?

Who considers NASCAR drivers "elite athletes." Personally, I think it is ridiculous. Even less popular sports, like swimming in example, people can still appreciate the athleticism it takes to do what Michael Phelps did. Am I supposed to appreciate the athleticism it takes to turn a corner? I didn't know that athleticism was even required to turn a corner.

At least a 100-yard dash competition involves cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, dynamic balance, etc. A shuttle run competition would involve dexterity, agility, flexibility, cardio endurance, muscular strength, etc. When does NASCAR have that?

:facepalm: Just because YOU don't believe it's a sport, doesn't mean it isn't. That's a very narrow-minded point of view. The drivers themselves may not take a lot of athleticism, but it takes a ridiculous amount of endurance to drive a racecar of any sort and it takes a lot of strength to drive a car that will not handle for 3+ hours. I find it commical that people think driving a racecar is so easy yet half the people on the streets can't drive.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
:facepalm: Just because YOU don't believe it's a sport, doesn't mean it isn't. That's a very narrow-minded point of view. The drivers themselves may not take a lot of athleticism, but it takes a ridiculous amount of endurance to drive a racecar of any sort and it takes a lot of strength to drive a car that will not handle for 3+ hours. I find it commical that people think driving a racecar is so easy yet half the people on the streets can't drive.

LoL, I cannot argue that point.

I didn't say that it doesn't take "skill," because it does, it doesn't take IMO "sports skills" and I think that is really what defines sports. In example, Lacrosse is a sport mostly popular in the northeast region, I don't care for the sport, but I can recognize that they are legitimate athletes, it takes a ton of talent and a lot of skill to successfully compete (agility, dexterity, balance, cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, speed, hand-eye coordination, upper body limb coordination, etc).

NASCAR doesn't have that. Neither does poker. But poker is an activity that is a competition and does take skill to be successful in. Right? As you said, the average person on the street cannot drive a car like a NASCAR driver, right? Well, the average person on the street cannot play a game of poker like the professionals at the table. Is poker a "sport" (I know TV commercials in the past have hinted at it but I find it ludicrous). Legitimately, can we all say that poker, a card game, is a "sport." I don't think so.

Just like Chess. Chess is an activity that takes skill to be successful in. The average person cannot compete with a professional Chess player. Does that make Chess a sport? Some will argue it does. In fact, I believe that Chess is recognized by the Olympic Committee. But, do we as sports fans really recognize Chess as a sport? Nope. Hockey, Football, Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse, Volleyball, Tennis, Rugby, etc, are all sports. Driving a car isn't.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I never understood why NASCAR was in this discussion to begin with. NASCAR belongs in a discussion with golf, tennis and boxing. Granted, more people are required to create a successful NASCAR driver and they do have to work as a team, but it's still not a team sport. The ultimate outcome is determined by one person and one person only.

When people refer to the big 4, I always think of it as the big 4 in team sports. They'll probably never reach it, but the only competitors that the NHL has for the number 4 spot are sports like soccer, lacrosse, cricket, rugby, etc. The MLS is the only league that remotely has the possibility of catching the NHL and again, it's not happening any time soon.

Oh, and it takes enormous athleticism to "turn a corner" at the speeds racecar drivers are driving.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
To be honest, I've just recently started watching NHL. I was wondering, was it in the top 4 before the lockout? Can anyone find the demographics of all the sports? If so, someone should do that, including before and after the lockout NHL.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
In Canada, it would go something like this for the PRO sports:

NHL

NFL
CFL

MLB

I didn't even bother putting the NBA on the list. It's probably behind Racing, Golf and Soccer in Canada.

No MLS? I was up there, and it's getting huge. Also, I think the MLB is more popular than the NFL (Toronto gets a nation-wide broadcast).

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
Baseball is an excellent sport.

MLB............................................

(I think you know what Im referring to)

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
I have never heard the stereotype that hockey for conservative middle-class whites. Explain me that?

Due to so many private rinks and the need for long distance travel,hockey is more expensive in the US than Canada.

Only the middle class can afford it.

Blame Sarah Palin for the "conservative" assumption.

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
No MLS? I was up there, and it's getting huge. Also, I think the MLB is more popular than the NFL (Toronto gets a nation-wide broadcast).

I'm talking NA in general.

As far as MLS,I'd rate world soccer in general as having more buzz than MLS.

I love soccer,but the quality of MLS is far below my preferred standard.I support and watch when I can,but I'd much rather watch an EPL or La Liga match than go to an MLS one.

Rick Nash homework

Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
Due to so many private rinks and the need for long distance travel,hockey is more expensive in the US than Canada.

Only the middle class can afford it.

Blame Sarah Palin for the "conservative" assumption.

What about the soccer moms who are basically the same as Sarah Palin. And I don't think she likes hocket anyway.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
NASCAR isn't a sport. Driving is not a "sport." It's no more of a sport than poker is.

And NASCAR wouldn't even be in the equation if it wasn't for the south. If you include NASCAR, you can debate that it is bigger than the other three you mentioned b/c down south they follow that more than anything else.

I love people who think NASCAR isn't a sport. How do you define sport? I'm assuming that not calling poker a sport you're going to give me the it doesn't take any physical strength to do.

OK, fine, before you waste your time posting that BS excuse, try doing this to see what a racecar driver feels:

Get in a cult de sac in the middle of the summer, put on all your winter clothes with a big winter jacket, roll up your windows and crank your heat all the way to max. Now get 2 or 3 of your friends to do the same thing and drive around for 3 hours within inches of each other the whole time. Now picture doing that at up to 200mph. Then give me this speech about how it's not a sport again.

Seriously, I used to be big into NASCAR but not anymore since it became the Nextel Cup and made all these rule changes, which lost a lot of fans by the way, and still love racing in general. Every time I hear somebody saying racing is not a sport, I just face palm over how ignorant they are.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Seriously, I used to be big into NASCAR but not anymore since it became the Nextel Cup and made all these rule changes, which lost a lot of fans by the way, and still love racing in general. Every time I hear somebody saying racing is not a sport, I just face palm over how ignorant they are.

But but your the redneck :sarcasm:

theboss*

LOL Baseball is such a garbage sport. It should not be considered a sport.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Depends where you are, since Toronto is the only canadian city to have a team in multiple professional leagues we are the only city that has experienced them.

In terms of popularity:

NHL

NFL (pretty popular considering Canada doesnt have a team)
NBA

MLS
MLB

CFL

In terms of live game atmosphere in Toronto:

MLS

NBA

NHL

CFL

MLB

CommunistDayKare

I'M SORRY RUM HAM
Mar 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
I never understood why NASCAR was in this discussion to begin with. NASCAR belongs in a discussion with golf, tennis and boxing. Granted, more people are required to create a successful NASCAR driver and they do have to work as a team, but it's still not a team sport. The ultimate outcome is determined by one person and one person only.
This couldn't be more wrong. Yes, the driver has to actually drive the car, but there are a number of things that could affect his day, like the tire men not changing a tire right or adjusting the pressure right. Crew chief deciding whether or not to take 2 or 4 tires to gain track position. Spotters not communicating properly. Mechanics not tuning the engine right. It could be a number of things, and they all need to work together equally to be the most successful.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
I tried to watch Nascar once when I had the free sports pack trial. I gave up on lap 8 out of 200 I believe.

Left...straight....left....straight....left...

I would rather watch NFL...I hate the NFL.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This couldn't be more wrong. Yes, the driver has to actually drive the car, but there are a number of things that could affect his day, like the tire men not changing a tire right or adjusting the pressure right. Crew chief deciding whether or not to take 2 or 4 tires to gain track position. Spotters not communicating properly. Mechanics not tuning the engine right. It could be a number of things, and they all need to work together equally to be the most successful.

None of what you just said negates my point. The crew is responsible for giving the driver the best opportunity to win by doing their jobs off of the field of play. The driver is responsible for execution on the field of play. Thus, the driver is ultimately responsible for where he finishes in the race.

Everything else is like saying that football is a team sport because the offensive and defensive coordinators are calling the plays. This is untrue. Football is a team sport because each player is responsible for executing when they are on the football field.

Fibs Perfection

Mar 28, 2011
Michigan
Not looking at figures or anything, just basing this off my own talks with people. Yes, it's gaining popularity. Just from talking with random people I know in the states they actually ask me about hockey now. One of the biggest reasons is that 24 show, the one that follows the Pens and Caps I believe.

Not just that though but the superstars in the league right now are garnering attention just by being so good.

The league is really great right now, can't wait until my team is a part of it...

I have to agree with this because since it was aired, there's been a different vibe about hockey as a whole. I moved to west Michigan from the Detroit area 5 years ago and I was stunned at how little interest there was in hockey as a general rule. Of course there is hockey but nothing like the rabid fans in Detroit, only small pockets here and there. So odd. After 24/7 I heard people talking about it everywhere. My hope is that HBO sticks with it, I'd love to see something done with the playoffs or even training camp, much like the NY Jets thing.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
None of what you just said negates my point. The crew is responsible for giving the driver the best opportunity to win by doing their jobs off of the field of play. The driver is responsible for execution on the field of play. Thus, the driver is ultimately responsible for where he finishes in the race.

Everything else is like saying that football is a team sport because the offensive and defensive coordinators are calling the plays. This is untrue. Football is a team sport because each player is responsible for executing when they are on the football field.

This can't be a serious post. It just can't be.... :help::shakehead:banghead:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This can't be a serious post. It just can't be.... :help::shakehead:banghead:

It is. The difference is subtle, but it's incredibly important. NASCAR is not a team sport. I do know that multiple drivers on the same driving team help each other out on the track through things like drafting techniques. But generally speaking, each driver's goal is to win the race. I consider the on-track team play more like when golfers play on teams (I believe there is some major tournament where they do this?).

I'm not an ignorant when it comes to NASCAR, unlike a lot of people who live up north and never watched a race and have little or no exposure. I've lived in the South for 6 years, including 2 years in Charlotte where you cannot even avoid NASCAR. My last two bosses have both been huge NASCAR fans and have tried to get me to join NASCAR fantasy leagues, but I've resisted. I don't dislike auto-racing in general, although I find IndyCar to be much more interesting than NASCAR.

NASCAR is not a team sport and that is a serious and objective statement.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I knew NASCAR took a lot of skill and athleticism, but I never considered it a sport.. but you look at the definition of a sport, and it matches all the criteria.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It is. The difference is subtle, but it's incredibly important. NASCAR is not a team sport. I do know that multiple drivers on the same driving team help each other out on the track through things like drafting techniques. But generally speaking, each driver's goal is to win the race. I consider the on-track team play more like when golfers play on teams (I believe there is some major tournament where they do this?).

I'm not an ignorant when it comes to NASCAR, unlike a lot of people who live up north and never watched a race and have little or no exposure. I've lived in the South for 6 years, including 2 years in Charlotte where you cannot even avoid NASCAR. My last two bosses have both been huge NASCAR fans and have tried to get me to join NASCAR fantasy leagues, but I've resisted. I don't dislike auto-racing in general, although I find IndyCar to be much more interesting than NASCAR.

NASCAR is not a team sport and that is a serious and objective statement.

So your definition of a team sport is different then mine I guess. Ok. I can respect your opinion on that since you can at least asknowledge NASCAR as a sport and what it takes to be a racecar driver. A lot of people ARE very ignorant in this thread, and not just to auto-racing.

IndyCar? I enjoy that once in awhile. I much more enjoy them racing on ovals though. Never been a fan of road coarse racing, at least on tv.

Btw, that golf tournament you're talking about, I believe it's the Ryder Cup you're referring too.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't think the NHL ever lost its spot as the number 4 professional sports league in the US. The NHL doesn't have the nationwide reach as the other three do, however. By that I mean the bulk of hockey fans in this country are likely located in the Northeast and the Midwest, i.e. the "traditional markets".

People gotta stop saying the MLS is closing ground on the NHL....it really isn't, just look at the revenues or overall interest in each market. I can't speak for every US city, but the Union here in Philadelphia have created NO buzz at all, no one cares aside from a few thousand die hard soccer fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad