Is the FHL back to 5 teams?

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Well the Steel City team was supposed to play their home opener last night and have seen nothing reported on the game. Does anyone know if the game took place or why it didn't?
No score listed on the FHL site or anywhere else I have looked.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
According to their Twitter page the game was played and they lost in OT.

https://twitter.com/FHLWarriors

If you got to the FHL's website it shows they played IN DAYTON on Friday night LOST 9-1. Then the same two teams were scheduled to play the next night for Steel City's FIRST HOME GAME - nothing listed. Then the same two teams played IN DAYTON on Sunday where the score was 5-4.

They have not played any home games as of yet.
That was my question.
Why did they not play in PA on Saturday night.
No mention of it anywhere, newspaper articles, FHL website etc.

SPIDER1

Sep 11, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
If you got to the FHL's website it shows they played IN DAYTON on Friday night LOST 9-1. Then the same two teams were scheduled to play the next night for Steel City's FIRST HOME GAME - nothing listed. Then the same two teams played IN DAYTON on Sunday where the score was 5-4.

They have not played any home games as of yet.
That was my question.
Why did they not play in PA on Saturday night.
No mention of it anywhere, newspaper articles, FHL website etc.

Not sure why the FHL has no box score, but it was played. Dayton won 6-5 in OT. Here is a radio archive of the game: http://www.gemcitysports.com/1182014-demonz-at-steel-city-fhl-hockey/

Also, you can scroll down to a game topic on the FHL Fans Facebook page, where some photos have been provided showing game pics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/388248094549819

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
OK - that is what I was trying to find out. Their site (FHL) still has them not playing any home games and the local paper had nothing on the game.
Thanks for the links.

Hockey headache

Nov 12, 2014
Why is the FHL such a mess

Does anyone here know just how bad the players are treated in this league? These guys rarely even get paid

Hockey headache

Nov 12, 2014
I do know that the guys in Danville this season had their checks held as "deposits" and they had to drive their personal vehicles to roadies in watertown. They have guys living in welfare housing. It's disgusting

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
So rumour has it the Steel City Warriors may be close to folding due to lack of fans/money. Paid attendance under 100 for last 2 home games. Sad to see as the new owner seems to care about the players and making it work in south west PA.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OK, make that 5-1/2 teams ...
STATE OF THE FEDERAL: Here Come The (Northern) Feds!

A mere day after the penultimate financial collapse of the Cornwall Nationals, the Federal Hockey League has brought back their filler solution to finish out the season.

Well under the radar throughout the course of the day – and discovered by Papa Rovitz around noon – now in the Teams section on the FHL website are the Northern Federals. This is the second time in Federal League history that a league-operated franchise has been in operation (Delaware Federals, 2011).

The Federals have only five games scheduled for their nearly two month existence…all road games against the Watertown Wolves, to finish out the Wolves home scheduled games (2/23, 3/23 & 3/24, 4/6 & 4/7). All the Nationals home games are forfeited-wins for the other five FHL teams. ...

Read more at: HotSprotsTakes.com

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The SPHL and FHL Should Merge

Good point. Nothing will help grow the relatively stable SPHL better than taking on a bunch of financially insolvent franchises with a penchant for folding, mostly owned by the same guy, comprised of lower quality players playing mostly in rec rinks with crowds that are a fraction of the SPHL average attendance in markets that are geographically nowhere near the league's current footprint operating on much lower budgets. This should work.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
Good point. Nothing will help grow the relatively stable SPHL better than taking on a bunch of financially insolvent franchises with a penchant for folding, mostly owned by the same guy, comprised of lower quality players playing mostly in rec rinks with crowds that are a fraction of the SPHL average attendance in markets that are geographically nowhere near the league's current footprint operating on much lower budgets. This should work.
Not to mention that said owner is, as far as I'm aware, persona non grata in the SPHL. There's really only one team that has remotely the level of support from a fan/sponsor level to sustain at least a season in the SPHL: amazingly, the stickiest tomato they've managed to throw has been at the longtime minor league hockey graveyard at Winston-Salem. And even then, while 2000 fans/game is lightyears ahead of what the FHL typically draws, it would still bring up the rear in the SPHL...

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Post of the year.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wow. What a well written article, complete with poor spelling, ignorance with itallics, and being purely a hype machine.

Look, aside from Port Huron, there's no stability, and "750-1000 average" is a pretty crummy attendance goal that can only be achieved by slashing money elsewhere.

Sure dude. Brand is pretty honest about the good and the bad, and his wants and expectations are realistic. I've been able to enjoy some great hockey at FHL games in multiple locations and I'm honest about what it is but see a lot of potential. But if you're all caught up with a GM firing up the "hype machine" for his own league then by all means...

And by the way - have you been to a Thunderbirds game? They're a blast. Way more fun than the morgue in Raleigh. I'm a Sabres fan first and an NHL fan second but until the Canes rebuild their fan base the Birds are a better deal and a much better time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad