Is the FHL back to 5 teams?

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Welllllllll maybe and maybe not

Just checked the FHL website. Was checking the teams list to see if Berlin had chosen a name yet. Berlin has been removed from the teams list. Looks like this joke of a league is at it again.:yo:

If you go to the Fed site and use the pull down menu it doesn't show the Berlin team listed there. However, if you go to the bottom of the Fed main page and click on the listing in red for "teams" Berlin comes up as the first team listed.

Yes, I know it's confusing. But the Berlin team had their team naming contest only recently end so there may be an announcement about that soon.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
update

Fed has sent two representatives to Berlin. Been there for about a month.

Team name has been picked. No announcement made.

Team bus is supposed to be arriving today.

Team colors match those of Hersey Bears of AHL.

Article by Berlin newspaper is in process of being written.

No announcement by league suggests there are still details to work themselves out.

AHLFAN

Mar 10, 2008
Shrewsbury, PA
I'm sorry. I don't believe there a team bus, colors or name. Oh I forgot the bus is still in the shope being refurbished after the movie Slapshot. Sure did need alot of repairs. It is now down to 54 days and counting before the FHL season starts. The FHL sent two representative to Berlin? What did they send them for to sell the 2 or 3 season tickets they would sell. And finally the local Berlin paper is in the process of writing an article. How long does it take to write an article. This whole Berlin deal smells fishy. This is going to be like the Vermont team that became Delaware. :laugh::laugh:

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
clarification

I'm sorry. I don't believe there a team bus, colors or name. Oh I forgot the bus is still in the shope being refurbished after the movie Slapshot. Sure did need alot of repairs. It is now down to 54 days and counting before the FHL season starts. The FHL sent two representative to Berlin? What did they send them for to sell the 2 or 3 season tickets they would sell. And finally the local Berlin paper is in the process of writing an article. How long does it take to write an article. This whole Berlin deal smells fishy. This is going to be like the Vermont team that became Delaware. :laugh::laugh:

AHLF,

People believe what they choose to believe for whatever reasons they want to.

I spoke to a town official directly who gave me the information I posted.

To clarify my post about the article, I should have said the article is being written FOR the Berlin newspaper, NOT BY the Berlin newspaper. I did call the Berlin newspaper directly and they referred me to the town official I spoke to. The newspaper did not make any reference to an article. It was the town official who said the article was being written and he didn't know what the status was of the article.

As for the bus in Slap Shot I think it would be cool if it were the same bus and you are right if it were the same bus it would need a lot of work.

I don't know what the league representatives are doing in Berlin. I didn't ask.

I was trying to understand what if anything was going on with the proposed franchise since there seemed to be little new information. What I posted is what I was told.

As for previous forays that you allude to I can't comment. I didn't speak to anyone including the owner of the Vermont franchise, Randall Latona or the GM, Graham Kirk as it wasn't anything I was interested in knowing.

Look, I can't tell you if this team is going to be successful or not. I do know that Berlin has a rich hockey history coming from the French Canadian roots of the early settlers there. Whether that's enough to sustain a team will have to be seen.

F1

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
AHLF,

People believe what they choose to believe for whatever reasons they want to.

I spoke to a town official directly who gave me the information I posted.

To clarify my post about the article, I should have said the article is being written FOR the Berlin newspaper, NOT BY the Berlin newspaper. I did call the Berlin newspaper directly and they referred me to the town official I spoke to. The newspaper did not make any reference to an article. It was the town official who said the article was being written and he didn't know what the status was of the article.

As for the bus in Slap Shot I think it would be cool if it were the same bus and you are right if it were the same bus it would need a lot of work.

I don't know what the league representatives are doing in Berlin. I didn't ask.

I was trying to understand what if anything was going on with the proposed franchise since there seemed to be little new information. What I posted is what I was told.

As for previous forays that you allude to I can't comment. I didn't speak to anyone including the owner of the Vermont franchise, Randall Latona or the GM, Graham Kirk as it wasn't anything I was interested in knowing.

Look, I can't tell you if this team is going to be successful or not. I do know that Berlin has a rich hockey history coming from the French Canadian roots of the early settlers there. Whether that's enough to sustain a team will have to be seen.

F1

Post links to reputable media sources or names of the town/league officials or it isn't true.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
vetted

CE2,

You may recall that there was a post by a moderator previously in this thread. They too were interested in sources.

I provided information for the mod as to where and how I got the information and the mod deleted his post.

Conversely, you certainly have the option to do just what I did to find the information and confirm what I posted. I'm pretty sure I outlined the steps I took earlier in the thread.

I posted what I had gotten so as to provide insight to the original question posed regarding the status of the new franchise in Berlin.

Why the league and or the town hasn't made announcements is still a question worth an answer but I can't provide any information to that point as I didn't ask those questions.

Feel free to contact the Fed league president and ask him.

F1

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
CE2,

You may recall that there was a post by a moderator previously in this thread. They too were interested in sources.

I provided information for the mod as to where and how I got the information and the mod deleted his post.

Conversely, you certainly have the option to do just what I did to find the information and confirm what I posted. I'm pretty sure I outlined the steps I took earlier in the thread.

I posted what I had gotten so as to provide insight to the original question posed regarding the status of the new franchise in Berlin.

Why the league and or the town hasn't made announcements is still a question worth an answer but I can't provide any information to that point as I didn't ask those questions.

Feel free to contact the Fed league president and ask him.

F1

Great point. Thank you for the footwork. Why haven't they? All it does is lead to speculation. It is getting really late to PROPERLY market the team, sell tickets....etc.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not quite yet a slam dunk, but does sound like the ground work's in place for a team. For the time being, let's just consider it on the same level as with Portland and the NHL. Interest, but nothing definitive... yet.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Unacceptable. Until you name sources, it's speculation regardless of which moderator "vetted" your "information."

Sources cannot always be named. Sometimes monitors do not properly vet said sources, many use it to their advantage to "break" news. [mod] For fan by the fans....

Last edited by a moderator:

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
To All - Clarification

By way of explanation and hopefully clarification, when asked by the MOD, NFS re: sources I did provide him the name of the source.

I explained to him my reasons for my inquiry, which are personal, and the name of the town official I contacted. I also gave him additional details I haven't posted such as the name of the team I was given.

I didn't post the source here because I didn't ask for their permission to do so. It was a courtesy and one which everyone deserves to my thinking.

As for why I didn't provide some details I believed, and still do, that it is the league and town's perogative to make the announcement when and how they see fit. Not mine.

There are many questions and reasons as to why they may not make an announcement or even that the town may have made some announcement that has gone unpublished.

I don't know much else. But I do know that the town official said that the town was doing, or has done, everything they need to do. His words not mine.

I only posted what I did in order to provide information based on the OP's post. I have no position or opinion as to the viability of this franchise, the league or opinion voiced by other posters.

It's just information, do with it what you will.

If you choose to, you can do exactly what I did with only a couple of calls.

F1

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
small change

Just checked the FHL website. Was checking the teams list to see if Berlin had chosen a name yet. Berlin has been removed from the teams list. Looks like this joke of a league is at it again.:yo:

Apparently the league has returned the the Berlin franchise to the pull down menu referred to in the original post. Not sure what it means but it is some progress lol

F1

Bigfreedy

Aug 23, 2014
Inverness, Scotland
The Berlin team will be a power in the league. On and off the ice. The current league owners need to realize that the league needs a new direction. The direction they have been going is backwards. Four years of nothing. Any half legitimate team who wants to join the current owners should have the red carpet rolled out for them. Danbury ownership should kiss their tushy. The rivalry could be huge. Berlin is the original HockeyTown USA. They might even put the crossed goalie sticks back at the foot of town. Whoever thought of bringing hockey back to Berlin is as sharp as a tack. The marblehead owners who control things better realize what they have here.
The arena is getting a facelift and the league would get one in kind. A change for the better. Then work on the leagues talent level. Get rid of the dregs and nepotism. Run things as legitimately as possible at that level.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The Berlin team will be a power in the league. On and off the ice. The current league owners need to realize that the league needs a new direction. The direction they have been going is backwards. Four years of nothing. Any half legitimate team who wants to join the current owners should have the red carpet rolled out for them. Danbury ownership should kiss their tushy. The rivalry could be huge. Berlin is the original HockeyTown USA. They might even put the crossed goalie sticks back at the foot of town. Whoever thought of bringing hockey back to Berlin is as sharp as a tack. The marblehead owners who control things better realize what they have here.
The arena is getting a facelift and the league would get one in kind. A change for the better. Then work on the leagues talent level. Get rid of the dregs and nepotism. Run things as legitimately as possible at that level.

I doubt a town of 10,000 people could be that influential in anything, let alone the cornerstone of a theoretically pro hockey league, but your enthusiasm is admirable...

Bigfreedy

Aug 23, 2014
Inverness, Scotland
I doubt a town of 10,000 people could be that influential in anything, let alone the cornerstone of a theoretically pro hockey league, but your enthusiasm is admirable...
Thanks for the compliment. Chutzpa is my middle name. There are more hockey fans in that little 10,000 pop. town than Danville, Dayton, and SWPA combined. Enthusiasm + common sense = Berlin, NH.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Fron Fed League facebook page

Here's the post from the Federal Hockey League Facebook page:

The Federal Hockey League is proud to announce that the expansion franchise in Berlin, NH have announced their name as the Berlin RiverDrivers.

Their name was decided by a fan contest and announced at the local ATV Festival. The name has regional significance, as the term "riverdriver" was given to men that guided logs down the Androscoggin River to transport them for economical use.

Official website, logo, social media, ticket prices, and other important announcements will be coming soon.

F1

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
maybe

NS,

I'm checking with a friend in Maine on ownership. It's and interesting idea but I think the Q franchise didn't succeed for what I thought was lack of attendance issues. Cost to run that rink might prohibit success for a pro franchise. Even though the costs for a Fed league franchise might be low the Major Junior costs might be comparable.

As I recall the Q team even won a championship while there.

Like Berlin NH there is a strong French/Canadian population there .

It's possible it's a large facility and would be great for a Fed League franchise if they could draw well enough.

F1

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
update

Just heard back from friend in Maine. The managing partner of the AHL Portland Pirates also has ownership interest in Lewiston rink. Pirates also played several games there in the past. He also confirmed that the Q team left due to revenue problems and costs

So it might not be a financial set up that would make a Fed team successful

F1

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
F1,

Sorry to say that the information from your friend is very incorrect… Pirates ownership do have anything to do with the Colisee at all other than renting ice time for its youth hockey program. The Colisee is owned by Firland Management, which is owned by Jim Cain. That may have confused your friend because the majority owner of the Pirates is Ron Cain. They have the same last name, but there is no relationship between either people.

Also, the FHL attempted Lewiston once before and it was a disaster because people didn’t accept the level of hockey for its goonish/phony appearance and they didn’t accept it because it came on the heels of the Maineiacs leaving and there was still a lot of hurt feelings.

Plus, the Colisee already has a fulltime tenant right now with the Maine Timberwolves of the NSHL. They signed a long term lease agreement last month to play at the Colisee.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Mmmmm

F1,

Sorry to say that the information from your friend is very incorrect… Pirates ownership do have anything to do with the Colisee at all other than renting ice time for its youth hockey program. The Colisee is owned by Firland Management, which is owned by Jim Cain. That may have confused your friend because the majority owner of the Pirates is Ron Cain. They have the same last name, but there is no relationship between either people.

Also, the FHL attempted Lewiston once before and it was a disaster because people didn’t accept the level of hockey for its goonish/phony appearance and they didn’t accept it because it came on the heels of the Maineiacs leaving and there was still a lot of hurt feelings.

Plus, the Colisee already has a fulltime tenant right now with the Maine Timberwolves of the NSHL. They signed a long term lease agreement last month to play at the Colisee.

To be clear, I was responding to the poster who suggested earlier in this thread that there was a possibility that the Colisee might be a possible site for a FED team. The thrust of my comments was to suggest that a Fed franchise would NOT succeed there as the Q franchise couldn't make a financial go of things.

The Timberwolves are the old Maine Moose team that couldn't draw 100 fans and the new owner was advertising on Craigslist for investors offering a 25% return. The NSHL is a far cry from the level of hockey that the Mainiacs were and are likely to fail quickly.

The new owner was also stating he was going to completely revamp the team and get a lot of new players. He then proceeded to call almost every player on the old Maine Moose team that was eligible to return and ask them to come back. SO judge for yourself about the potential for success.

As for Ron Cain and Jim Cain, they may NOT be related but to suggest Ron Cain isn't involved with the Colisee isn't correct. See below a copy from a recent publication about the new ownership of the Colisee.

Colisee Owner and General Manager Jim Cain asked for city approval to add investor Ron Cain, who has no relation to Jim, to the company.

As for your comments about the level of play in the FED well everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours, but to suggest that the Timberwolves are a better product (ergo implying they will succeed where the Q and previous teams have ) is disingenuous and frankly not based in any fact. I have seen the Timberwolves ( as the Maine Moose) play, I have seen the Mainiacs play and I have seen Fed level play ( tryout for free agents which had 3-5 Danbury players skating)

So I don't see the Fed going to the Colisee which was my original point of my response.

F1

PS: see follow on post from Berkshire Eagle......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad