Is the 2021 1st available?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd say no to moving the 2021 pick. Dubas needs to continue having those cheaper assets on the Marlies for another cap crunch. If we're getting back a legit dman, use Kapanen and/or Bracco.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I mean if we pick like we did in the 2nd and 3rd round last year I'm fine with moving it, but because of the conditions of the pick this year (top 10 protected) I don't think we can move next years 1st until after this season anyways and the 2020 pick is locked in for Carolina.
Could you not just tell Carolina the pucks you’re waive them protection?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No, I don't think we can make the 2021 first available. If we need to shuffle the deck I would look at moving Andreas Johnsson first in a hockey trade. Then if the value is good, then you think about Bracco, Timashov and those soon to be full time NHL prospects.

Reactions: Menzinger

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The window is not that big. You gotta go for it while you can. If a guy becomes available that makes this team that much better and you need to move that pick, you move it.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
no you have enough talent and picks this year for any move you would need to make.
im against deadline deals, you dont win the cup with moves made in february. Those moves are made in june and july.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We are going to be getting 1 or 2 first rd pks from players that will be traded.

Kappy
Johnson

One way or another we will have a first rd pk in 2021 ours or another teams pick.

Don't forget there is an expansion draft coming up.

If those guys are traded it's for defense

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The window is not that big. You gotta go for it while you can. If a guy becomes available that makes this team that much better and you need to move that pick, you move it.

The window only gets smaller if you misuse the assets that have the best chance of becoming impact players down the road.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Cant burn another one. If they need to make a deal its time to start moving some prospects.

horner

May 22, 2007
If those guys are traded it's for defense
I agree
Maybe they are traded for pks then those picks are traded for a top pairing dman
There is an expansion draft coming up and teams will problem not want to add two players at once .

And by trading for picks it will expand the field of teams we can deal with.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
I don't think it should be used-

The leafs are like Chicaco where are core is locked in and we'll have very little money to spend on keeping our secondary players/acquiring them. It's vital we hang onto all picks, can't afford to piss them away for a "hail mary", we'll need picks to restock our 2nd/3rd lines, blueline and most imporantly trying to find a goalie to replace Andersen 5 years from now.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
First we traded 2nd rounders in 2 consecutive drafts to get 4th line Center's who were UFA's who did not re-sign with us (Boyle & Plekanec).
Now we have traded 1st rounders in 2 consecutive drafts.

I absolutely hate the idea of trading another 1st rounder. Can't think another player not name McDavid that I would trade a 1st for, particularly for a 1 RHD, which is clearly our most pressing need.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep it’s available in a package for McDavid otherwise no it’s not available. We can’t give up 3 consecutive 1st round picks,

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IIRC its top 10 protected this summer, unprotected in 2021. It's hard to see this years pick being in the top 10 so the Canes will likely get it.
That’s what I thought. Can you still trade a pick that’s already tied to another deal?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wouldnt trade the 1st. Leafs need a good center pick especially if Kerfoot is going to be a LWer full time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I have to admit I'm a little surprised what how many people are saying no because you have.

2 Franchise level centers

2 #1 RW with Marner being franchise

A #1 D man.

A top 10 goalie

and some incredible depth with Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Spezza, Engvall, Holl etc.

And a prospect pool that is highlighted by Sandin, Lilly and Robertson along with Woll and Scott.

The time to win is now the window is WIDE open

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I have to admit I'm a little surprised what how many people are saying no because you have.

2 Franchise level centers

2 #1 RW with Marner being franchise

A #1 D man.

A top 10 goalie

and some incredible depth with Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Spezza, Engvall, Holl etc.

And a prospect pool that is highlighted by Sandin, Lilly and Robertson along with Woll and Scott.

The time to win is now the window is WIDE open
The right deal, definitely. Having said that.....I really think that some of the Leafs weaknesses are being addressed by coaching. I think the Leafs will add to the D, and not trade away any.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It would need to be traded with the condition they either get our 2020 first if its top 10 (really a no-go) or with a condition it reverts to 2022. Personally, I would be very reluctant to move it. With our salary structure, we need cheap depth, and we can't repeatedly rely on non-1st rounders to fill it. Not having a first in 3 consecutive seasons is a death blow to your prospect pool.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would need to be traded with the condition they either get our 2020 first if its top 10 (really a no-go) or with a condition it reverts to 2022. Personally, I would be very reluctant to move it. With our salary structure, we need cheap depth, and we can't repeatedly rely on non-1st rounders to fill it. Not having a first in 3 consecutive seasons is a death blow to your prospect pool.

When you have Lilly, Sandin, Robertson, Woll an Scot in your pool is it really a death blow?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When you have Lilly, Sandin, Robertson, Woll an Scot in your pool is it really a death blow?
Yes. Considering both Sandin and Liljegren are both likely to graduate within the next year, and Woll and Scott are probably not among the top 100 drafted prospects in Hockey. It is not the immediate issue it creates, it is the one created 2 to 4 years down the line.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes. Considering both Sandin and Liljegren are both likely to graduate within the next year, and Woll and Scott are probably not among the top 100 drafted prospects in Hockey. It is not the immediate issue it creates, it is the one created 2 to 4 years down the line.

I guess you are right but given the level of success this team has had finding good players I am not to concerbed I mean.

Brown, Hyman, Dermott, Engvall, Johnsson, Moore, Soup, Kapanen, Timashov, even Zaitsev in his rookie year. not to mention Holl

The Leafs have done an outstanding job finding players over the past few years be it with later round picks, overseas signings or plucking it from other teams

I'd rather have a 1st but our scouting staff has proven they can find players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad