Is the 2021 1st available?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I was going to make this thread last night, but I wanted to wait until after tonight's game because I felt like tonight was a BIG test and they passed it, they beat the NYI at their own game.

I know what what the cap situation is, but I think they have to find a way to add a piece or 2, a have watched teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc all add pieces at the deadline no matter how close to the cap they seemed to be.

I think the Leafs are going to need to do that somehow, but will the 2021 1st be available?

Dubas has already moved the 2019 and 2020 1st, is he going to want to move a 3rd straight 1st round pick?

If it were me it would be available but I'm not sure he wants to trade 3 straight 1st round picks

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I was going to make this thread last night, but I wanted to wait until after tonight's game because I felt like tonight was a BIG test and they passed it, they beat the NYI at their own game.

I know what what the cap situation is, but I think they have to find a way to add a piece or 2, a have watched teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc all add pieces at the deadline no matter how close to the cap they seemed to be.

I think the Leafs are going to need to do that somehow, but will the 2021 1st be available?

Dubas has already moved the 2019 and 2020 1st, is he going to want to move a 3rd straight 1st round pick?

If it were me it would be available but I'm not sure he wants to trade 3 straight 1st round picks
I mean if we pick like we did in the 2nd and 3rd round last year I'm fine with moving it, but because of the conditions of the pick this year (top 10 protected) I don't think we can move next years 1st until after this season anyways and the 2020 pick is locked in for Carolina.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Maybe, if the right defensive defenseman becomes available.

However, all trading of 1st round picks from the Leafs must be top 10 protected. The Kessel hassle still stings.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I hate the idea of trading 1st round picks for clear-cut rentals, and I think Dubas feels the same way - if you’re going to concede assets of that value, you’re much better off if you’re assured more than just one playoff run. That’s why moves like the Muzzin one are so effective in my opinion

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hate the idea of trading 1st round picks for clear-cut rentals, and I think Dubas feels the same way - if you’re going to concede assets of that value, you’re much better off if you’re assured more than just one playoff run. That’s why moves like the Muzzin one are so effective in my opinion

I didn't say rentals just is it available?

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I mean if we pick like we did in the 2nd and 3rd round last year I'm fine with moving it, but because of the conditions of the pick this year (top 10 protected) I don't think we can move next years 1st until after this season anyways and the 2020 pick is locked in for Carolina.
Wow that's a mind f*** of a scenario.

Let's say team A has team B's 1st round pick in year x top 10 protected.

Team B trades their year x+1 1st round pick to team C.

Team B finishes last in the league gets a top 10 pick. Team A forfeits team B's 1st overall that year and get their next year's 1st round pick. Oh wait that pick is already traded to team C.

Essentially team B makes out like bandits because they essentially used team As first round pick to trade and got assets in return. Like selling pencils to the kid in your class sitting next to you and then stealing them to resell.

Would be an amazing arbitrage opportunity which means that there's rules preventing this from happening. It's actually kind of interesting; can any experts chime in on the specific rules that make it clear whether or not the leafs can trade their 2021 1st before this season ends if it's mathematically guaranteed they won't have a bottom 10 finish?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
A mark of a truly great team is being able to remain competitive over a long period of time.

I don’t like the idea of continuously surrendering 1sts and having a depleted prospect pool. If our farm is strong, then we can fill deficiencies from within. We are going to need guys like Sandin and Liljegren to be impact players in the future.

Another first round pick in the bank gives us flexibility down the road in terms of cap space, and adds another potential impact player to a system that is lacking right now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't like moving 1st round picks before the season starts, there's risk involved with a strategy like that

You lose Andersen and your praying

Also I'm against moving a 1st for a pure rental as well, if somebody with some term was available next season I'd be in but not this season

Reactions: Smif

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't like moving 1st round picks before the season starts, there's risk involved with a strategy like that

You lose Andersen and your praying

Also I'm against moving a 1st for a pure rental as well, if somebody with some term was available next season I'd be in but not this season

What if Columbus goes cold and somebody like David Savard is available? he's got term

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ya it is along with AJ/Kap/kerfoot + CeCi for a Matt dumba/Brett Pesce/Ryan Ellis type asset.

Sadly I doubt that is enough value for those players so we should hold onto it and see if we can get another high end RHD prospect or Center prospect

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Cant keep dumping 1sts every year. Gotta keep restocking the cupboard.

This 100%

We took our shot (Muzzin) and had to fix Lou’s mistake (Marleau) to sign our stars, we are extremely fortunate that the kids we have drafted and developed keep coming through the ranks but if we keep giving away our firsts the high end talent will eventually disappear.

We will have to likely trade Johnsson and perhaps Kerfoot this offseason if we can find a cheaper solution (Grigorenko). Plus we should sign Mikheyev.

In a few years the Cap will provide us with a bit more flexibility but it will always be tight because Rielly and Andersen need to be signed.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This 100%

We took our shot (Muzzin) and had to fix Lou’s mistake (Marleau) to sign our stars, we are extremely fortunate that the kids we have drafted and developed keep coming through the ranks but if we keep giving away our firsts the high end talent will eventually disappear.

We will have to likely trade Johnsson and perhaps Kerfoot this offseason if we can find a cheaper solution (Grigorenko). Plus we should sign Mikheyev.

In a few years the Cap will provide us with a bit more flexibility but it will always be tight because Rielly and Andersen need to be signed.

I don't know that Johnsson AND Kerfoot need to go.

Soup won't be hard to sign due to his injury he can't ask for what he could have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad