Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Is he worth being the 2nd highest player in the league? No, but he's definitely worth 9+. I could find a worse allocation of ~11 million in cap space on every team in the league, including the Leafs. If you're going to spend near the cap limit, might as well spend it on players who are actually good at hockey. Otherwise you're just overpaying Milan Lucic, Andy MacDonald, Kyle Okposo etc.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This has been JT his whole career. Streaky AF player who often disappears for long stretches of games until he explodes and reminds everyone how good he can be. He still plays a solid game and demands the other team's attention even when he's off. Wouldn't read too much into it. Although I will say that it's his streakiness that makes him fall outside the top 10-12C for me.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This is who he is as a player. He occasionally has spells where he doesn't produce but then he'll do something ridiculous and you'll be like "oh that's why he got 11 mil". It's fine.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He's really not, I think he's the 3rd best player on the team after Marner and Matthews
So far this year definitely.

But if you can add a player like JT for nothing but $$$ you do it all day erry day.

Honestly, Marner has been better on both sides of the rink, which I think says more about Mitch than Tavares. #16 really is a spectacular player of hockey.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, if he's on one of his lazy cold streaks and Matthews isn't healthy to pick up the slack, you're gonna lose a chunk of games until a few weeks later where he'll have a 4-point night in a 6-1 whooping of some other team. But until then, get ready for more 2-1 losses like the one against Dallas last night.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
This is what he's always been -- hot and cold; you just have to hope that the cold streak doesn't last six weeks, as they sometimes have. However, while everyone is evaluating him on his offense, the biggest negative is his play in the defensive end. His lack of awareness on the Stars 2nd goal pretty much cost the Leafs the game. Get used to it, because that's also how he's always been. If his offense is putting enough points up to balance that out, you live with it. But otherwise ....

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
no way, I thought he was nothing more than a 9 Million a year guy, Leafs fans who are thinking they are going to have another Matthews on their team are in for an awakening

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
This is who he is as a player. He occasionally has spells where he doesn't produce but then he'll do something ridiculous and you'll be like "oh that's why he got 11 mil". It's fine.
Also... JT has got some clutch factor as well, seen it many times. (Unless it's a shootout )

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So far this year definitely.

But if you can add a player like JT for nothing but $$$ you do it all day erry day.

Honestly, Marner has been better on both sides of the rink, which I think says more about Mitch than Tavares. #16 really is a spectacular player of hockey.

It's eerily similar to Stanton and the Yankees. When an elite player practically falls into your lap, you can't turn that down. Even if it's a pretty redundant move that just makes your strength even stronger, but doesn't fill the holes you should be addressing instead.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
on one hand, he is on pace for a career high in points. On the other hand, he failed to impress Mitts888 in the game last night. I'm going to say no, he's not worth it

Reactions: LeafGrief

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Let’s take a breath, here. It’s November 2nd and the Leafs are tied for second in the division - one point out. Remain calm.

I understand that some posters here were very excited about Tavares and the Toronto lineup, but let’s get a hold of ourselves here. If he’ still slumping at Christmas, then you can worry.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Find a center better than Tavares not names McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, McKinnon, who can carry a team on their backs alone

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Overpaid on the Leafs, wouldn't be on some other teams. The reality is I don't think the Leafs needed to be paying some guy 11 million a season to be a supporting player. On another team he would be more heavily relied on and might be worth the 11 million (although I think 11 million for Tavares is a bit high but to each their own).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s about 2.5 M overpaid looking at production and his on ice contributions.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
None even sir.. Hyped up centers playing with elite wingers. Tavares has taken the Islanders to the playoffs playing with no one on his wing. Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo aren't exactly top players.. Look at the centers you names.. Who were/are the wingers playing with them...

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
But having the opportunity to live your childhood dream is priceless. I'm sure JT would have taken more if they offered.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Before the season I thought that Tavares was still going to be better than Matthews for a couple seasons but it's clear now I was wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad