Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Expect it won't likely be considered an overpay by year 6-7. With the cap likely going up at least 15 million by then, 11 million will be fairly standard for first line star players. Tavares will still be in that tier by that time, so it'll look like a decent contract for the duration. Even if he's only putting up ~75 points.

Honestly don’t think a 34 or 35 year old Tavares will be putting up 75 points at that time. We can agree to disagree on that though, it’s a long time away

Reactions: dukeofjive

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep,he is worth it ....Wish my team had money to sign a exciting player in FA

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
He already has a hat trick, and is ppg?

Tavares isn’t particularly remarkable on the ice until he does something dynamic as hell. He is also streaky so he can be a deceptive player to evaluate. He will heat up again soon, and as pointed out, it’s not like he is doing all that bad right now

I think the big thing is that he's great at puck control, both with stick skill and strength. So like, a lot of his better work is something that everyone pulls off sometimes, but the rate at which he pulls it off is insane.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I watched the Leafs game last night and was not impressed with Tavares at all. Looking back on his game logs / stats and after a hot start he has 1 goal in his last 10 games and 4 points in his last 8. Minus 4 over that period as well. How has he played overall?
His 11 million is already having an effect on future contracts by all accounts.
The last 4-5 years might be tough to swallow and the contract is almost buyout proof.
He's worth $12 million per year at least. And in addition to his play on the ice he makes the Leafs plenty of cash in merchandise and ticket sales.
It's not that Tavares is overpaid instead it's that so many players in the league are actually underpaid.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yep,he is worth it ....Wish my team had money to sign a exciting player in FA

Signing a top FA is exciting. Mostly after it happens. New hope for your franchise and everyone is happy. However, I feel a lot of times those expectations for that player are too much. Usually because the player just doesnt live up to the contract they just signed. FA is an expensive way to build your team. So if you are signing somebody, make sure he is good lol.

Reactions: topshelf15

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Did you expect him to keep his ridiculous hot start pace up over all 82 games? Of course his numbers are evening out a bit. I also doubt many Toronto fans are sad about having so much high quality talent that they'll struggle to afford to keep it all together for the long haul.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Tavares is a great player, but I'm not convinced there are more than 2-3 guys in the league worth such a big percentage of cap-space.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Expect it won't likely be considered an overpay by year 6-7. With the cap likely going up at least 15 million by then, 11 million will be fairly standard for first line star players. Tavares will still be in that tier by that time, so it'll look like a decent contract for the duration. Even if he's only putting up ~75 points.
Tavares has reached 75 points 3 times in the first 9 years of his career but you think that 75 points is a fair estimate of what he'll do at 33-34 years old? Only 7 times since 2010 had a player 33 or older reached 75 points in a season and only Thornton has done it more than once. Seems like a stretch to think Tavares will not lose even the slightest bit of a step when he's that age considering he's averaged 76 P/82 over his career.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He’s been very unlucky and he’s adapting to a new system. He’s still ppg though (14pts in 13 games), so I’d say he’s not that bad.
Unlucky? His SH% is higher than his career average and his OISH% is higher than it's ever been in his career. If anything he's been a bit lucky so far this season. It's certainly sustainable so I'm not saying his numbers will drop but the numbers say he hasn't been unlucky.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nah.
You pay a 1C when he hits UFA.

You had to pay for that, and you did. He even left money on the table contractually (not sponsorship, etc).

Tavares is kind of back to like... NYI days. He's the best player on his team. He's got one other high end player in Marner; lots of forgettable names around them and no real defence. Matthews can't get back soon enough for TO.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I like him, but he lacks the speed of, say, Matthews. There are times where he tries to dangle or just hold onto the puck but doesn't seem nimble enough to pull it off. Obviously he has great hand-eye coordination and he can do damage in-tight and with his vision, IQ and hands. I feel the way the game is trending may not be to his benefit, but he will continue to be a productive player and will excel as a 2C for years.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I mean you're never going to get great bang for your buck on the UFA market. Considering context his salary is ok. Context aside is he worth 11M when Mcdavid's at 12.5, Crosby is at 8.7, Malkin and Ovechkin at 9.5, Mckinnon at 6.3, and countless other examples? No not really.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Overpaid for his actual performance or as a UFA? My answer would be different depending on which one you mean. UFA’s are often overpaid regardless of their production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad