Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

• Total voters

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's not likely to regress, it's guaranteed to regress. The question isn't if Detroit's a top 5 team in the league, it's whether or not they are really as bad as people predicted them to be and if the rebuild is a failure without hope like many thought when they traded away Gustav Lindström.

I feel like most people predicted them to just barely miss. I dont think anyone expected them to be really bad. Larkin has found a new gear, or maybe is just finally playing with someone who can finish.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I like the duo of Larkin and Seider, but other than that, what has Stevie Why done?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

puke-vomit.gif

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Lol.

The question is asking if he’s “above-average.” That is, “Is he better than 50% of the GMs in the NHL?” The answer to that is a resounding yes and you’re delusional if you think otherwise.

Do I think Yzerman is overrated? At times yes. He gets a lot of credit for drafting the Lighting Dynasty that came to be, but in reality Tampa’s scouts were to thank for that. Still, a GM has to trust his scouts and ensure these players develop the right way. Additionally, he bailed Tampa out of cap trouble MULTIPLE times and brought in great glue guys that were key for their cup wins.

Since he’s arrived in Detroit, he’s transformed an atrocious Wings team into a one that is at least respectable and has a bright future. Will they make the playoffs this season? They definitely have a chance I think. But it’s safe to say what Yzerman has done in 4 years, is A HECK of a lot more than what MOST GMs have been able to accomplish throughout their ENTIRE CAREERS.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The naysayers in this thread are the epitome of fans that can’t think and see past their own noses.

Build a deep team of solid players without any major superstars. Don’t get locked into unnecessarily long deals on guys. Build a deep prospect pool. Make a big splash trade when needed.

Reactions: MagicMann13

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Pretty good GM. But man was Seider overrated after his rookie season. League got some film on the guy, realized he’s not a great skater and adjusted accordingly.

Drafting Seider was a huge reason Yzerman was lauded in the first place.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pretty good GM. But man was Seider overrated after his rookie season. League got some film on the guy, realized he’s not a great skater and adjusted accordingly.

Seider’s fantastic, not sure what you’re talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Damn, all Yzerman's picks are 22 years old and under. Going back to Tampa Yzerman has taken his time with prospects, most of them are going to spend time in the AHL and its worked out. It's going to be ok.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm not debating the fact that Yzerman took over an absolute trainwteck from Holland.

I do wonder how many more years without the postseason he is afforded. 2? 3? I'm not trying to say he's been bad.

I'm legitimately curious.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm not debating the fact that Yzerman took over an absolute trainwteck from Holland.

I do wonder how many more years without the postseason he is afforded. 2? 3? I'm not trying to say he's been bad.

I'm legitimately curious.

add a zero

for better or worse Yzerman's as untouchable as it gets in terms of job security in Detroit, especially while Marian Illitch is still alive

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Seider’s fantastic, not sure what you’re talking about.
Seider is ok. Seider's underlying metrics paint the picture of a middle pair level player.

All Skaters | HockeyStatCards.com

Currently Seider has an average game score of 0.24. 11th best on his team. Behind all of Shayne Gostisbehere, Olli Maatta and Justin Holl. Barely above Ben Chiarot.

Lucas Raymond sure looks good to start the season though. He's got a very strong average game score of 1.24. 3rd best on the team and close to top 50 in the NHL. Seider is ranked the 381st best player in the NHL based on his average game score so far this season.

This is just one of many analytical tools, but paints a pretty clear picture of Seider's season thus far. Very blah. Just like his sophomore year last season. Lets put it this way... dude isn't going anywhere near the Norris. The very idea is laughable.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider is ok. Seider's underlying metrics paint the picture of a middle pair level player.

All Skaters | HockeyStatCards.com

Currently Seider has an average game score of 0.24. 11th best on his team. Behind all of Shayne Gostisbehere, Olli Maatta and Justin Holl. Barely above Ben Chiarot.

Lucas Raymond sure looks good to start the season though. He's got a very strong average game score of 1.24. 3rd best on the team and close to top 50 in the NHL. Seider is ranked the 381st best player in the NHL based on his average game score so far this season.

This is just one of many analytical tools, but paints a pretty clear picture of Seider's season thus far. Very blah. Just like his sophomore year last season. Lets put it this way... dude isn't going anywhere near the Norris. The very idea is laughable.
Try watching a hockey game every now and then. I'm not sure anyone is saying he's on track for a Norris this season, but using gamescore is what's laughable.

Here's a list of some players his average game score is currently better than:

Brayden Point
Roman Josi
Jake Sanderson
Mark Stone
Thomas Chabot
Devon Toews
Victor Hedman
Alex Pietrangelo
Mikhail Sergachev
Adam Larsson

And he's tied with Hampus Lindholm.

So sure, he hasn't been amazing to start the season. He's still a 22 year old #1D taking the toughest matchups night in and night out and with 10 points in 10 games to start.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Lol.

The question is asking if he’s “above-average.” That is, “Is he better than 50% of the GMs in the NHL?” The answer to that is a resounding yes and you’re delusional if you think otherwise.

Do I think Yzerman is overrated? At times yes. He gets a lot of credit for drafting the Lighting Dynasty that came to be, but in reality Tampa’s scouts were to thank for that. Still, a GM has to trust his scouts and ensure these players develop the right way. Additionally, he bailed Tampa out of cap trouble MULTIPLE times and brought in great glue guys that were key for their cup wins.

Since he’s arrived in Detroit, he’s transformed an atrocious Wings team into a one that is at least respectable and has a bright future. Will they make the playoffs this season? They definitely have a chance I think. But it’s safe to say what Yzerman has done in 4 years, is A HECK of a lot more than what MOST GMs have been able to accomplish throughout their ENTIRE CAREERS.

Lightning not a dynasty

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Lightning not a dynasty
3 finals in 3 years. They still have 1 more season to get that elusive 3 in 5 and another to get 3 in 6.

Depends on your definition of dynasty. I think they’re damn close to one though and they can still built on it.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yzerman is definitively an above average GM at putting a team together. His roster building from the pro/pro scouting side of things is elite most of the time. A couple questionable signings like every GM but his under the radar signings (Sprong this year) make up for that.

The incredible thing is he's put together a likely playoff bound Red Wings team without his higher non-1st round picks coming through to contribute: Tuomisto, Mastrosimone (did not sign), Johansson, Wallinder, Niederbach, Hanas, Buium (still in the NCAA), Mazur.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
At least 3 Cups in 4 years is the official dynasty definition
What a random bump of a thread to say something so radically untrue. There is no "official" definition of a dynasty. Unless you want to look it up in the dictionary, which definitely doesn't say that,

Sports Dynasty
The determination of whether a team or individual has achieved a dynasty is subjective. This results in debate among sports fans due to a lack of consensus and agreement on the different variables and criteria that could be used to define a dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad