Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

• Total voters

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I think people are being way too harsh on Holl. He lead Toronto D-men in TOI, playing the most against the opposing team's top line than any other dmen on the team. He was a plus player in +/- and corsi (for you analytic nuts) for a very good team. Currently he leads the NHL in +/- at +8 with 3 assists after 5 games with Detroit.

He still put up good underlying numbers with that assignment, but had some poor decision making moments and giveaway issues. So naturally he was made a scapegoat and hated by leaf fans.

Here, we have Mo, so he won't be tasked with the same load he had in Toronto and I honestly think he will fill the 2nd pairing veteran RHD role well for us.

Maybe he will be this generation's version of Larry Murphy a defenseman chased out of Toronto after the media and fans destroyed him, and Detroit saw something else and picked him up. Ended up a key piece of our team for 2 cup wins.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What Yzerman inherited in 2019 compared to what Detroit is today is pretty damn amazing in such a short time.

and they're going to continue to get even better.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’d have to put him as the best gm tbh. I know armstrong is highly regarded but I’d put yzerman #1. Detroit’s amateur and pro scouting are really paying off much like colorado’s

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Holl and Chiarot have combined for 5 points and +15 so far.

Yes, if you are allowed to overreact in the summer I'm allowed to overreact now.

You were saying, bud?
Hahaha ok got me. Holl has been good until now for sure, and even Chiarot has been pretty good but the team looks good and has been on fire offensively, I want to see how it goes when they have to defend against good puck cycling teams, or just when the team doesn't do as well it does atm. For what it's worth, even with me complaining, I still thought at the time that Yzerman was the best GM in the league, and I've defended that opinion a few times. It's just that no GM is perfect and I thought Holl + Chiarot at that salary was a mistake, but seems like it has been going much better than I could have guessed and Yzerman is even better than I thought :)

...and I just realized that 50% of people thought he was a below average GM... my god, what?!?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Reminder that HF posters are clueless when it comes to building a hockey team. Reminds me of the thread where everyone was calling Holland an idiot for turning down trading Larkin for Tyler Myers.

Reactions: WaW

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Not if, when haha. Remember it's specific posters talking most of this smack not the entire fanbase.
Honestly, I am just playing. This place is ALWAYS the most fun when a team that's been shit on for years has a hot start or a streak. Remember all the Buffalo threads last year? And before this weekend, it was all about the Sens around here.

We all gotta flex when we can, no hate from me.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Reminder that HF posters are clueless when it comes to building a hockey team. Reminds me of the thread where everyone was calling Holland an idiot for turning down trading Larkin for Tyler Myers.
The fact that they are good after 4 or 5 games is a reminder? I think you might need a reminder on how long the season is, and how long some of these contracts are.

Reactions: wingerdinger

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Honestly, I am just playing. This place is ALWAYS the most fun when a team that's been shit on for years has a hot start or a streak. Remember all the Buffalo threads last year? And before this weekend, it was all about the Sens around here.

We all gotta flex when we can, no hate from me.

I think part of the excitement for us is that we're not just winning games, we're dominating most teams. Yeah we're having insane luck with shooting right now but the team is just playing so much better regardless of the wins. Last year, when we started well (wins-wise) we were still clearly getting outplayed and getting lucky. The team seems to have really turned a corner but we'll have to wait and see. Bumping every old thread is absolutely obnoxious though and just asking for it back when we do inevitably go on a cold streak.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
The compher deal so far is looking incredible. He's finally gave us a second line that just doesnt get steamrolled every night. It's a long season, but i'm just happy about how we're dictating play.

Reactions: Realgud

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I think part of the excitement for us is that we're not just winning games, we're dominating most teams. Yeah we're having insane luck with shooting right now but the team is just playing so much better regardless of the wins. Last year, when we started well (wins-wise) we were still clearly getting outplayed and getting luck. The team seems to have really turned a corner but we'll have to wait and see. Bumping every old thread is absolutely obnoxious though and just asking for it back when we do inevitably go on a cold streak.

Have they been dominating, though?

23% shooting percentage and 93% sv% is probably making things look better.

For example, 5v5:

xGF% - 22nd overall
Corsi For% - 27th overall
Shots For% - 19th overall
Scoring Chances For% - 27th overall
High Danger Chances For% - 21st overall

I am not some "metrics are everything type", but I do think the above metrics do a decent job at predicting the top teams - Carolina, Colorado, NJ, Boston are all usually top 5 teams by seasons end in those metrics.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Have they been dominating, though?

23% shooting percentage and 93% sv% is probably making things look better.

For example, 5v5:

xGF% - 22nd overall
Corsi For% - 27th overall
Shots For% - 19th overall
Scoring Chances For% - 27th overall
High Danger Chances For% - 21st overall

I am not some "metrics are everything type", but I do think the above metrics do a decent job at predicting the top teams - Carolina, Colorado, NJ, Boston are all usually top 5 teams by seasons end in those metrics.
Little biased, but the wings certainly pass the eye test so far. Some of the stats are skewed because the opposing teams are chasing in every game we've won so far while we try to set up shop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad