Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

• Total voters

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Haters will say it would have been better if they had won 1-0 and 3-2 instead of 4-0 and 6-2.
Nah, but I think some might think this sudden influx of RW chest pumping is a bit premature.

I am Sens hater #1 but they scare me in that I think their record is sustainable, while I think Detroit will regress to a middle pack team as the metrics predict.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, I am just playing. This place is ALWAYS the most fun when a team that's been shit on for years has a hot start or a streak. Remember all the Buffalo threads last year? And before this weekend, it was all about the Sens around here.

And before that, Matthews had two hat-tricks in two games and was going to score 70 goals.

It doesn't really matter what team or player it is, because the only sample we have at the beginning of the year is the one in front of us, so the hot takes are scorching.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
And before that, Matthews had two hat-tricks in two games and was going to score 70 goals.

It doesn't really matter what team or player it is, because the only sample we have at the beginning of the year is the one in front of us, so the hot takes are scorching.
The funny thing about this post is that I commented in the hype thread that this was going to be fodder for some random Leaf haters in 2 weeks, and sure enough, it didn't even take 2 weeks for it to be brought back up (as if it wasn't a "neutral fan" who made the poll). It's all quite predictable. At least own your biases, we all have em.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The funny thing about this post is that I commented in the hype thread that this was going to be fodder for some random Leaf haters in 2 weeks, and sure enough, it didn't even take 2 weeks for it to be brought back up (as if it wasn't a "neutral fan" who made the poll). It's all quite predictable. At least own your biases, we all have em.

You seem to imply that chest thumping is excluded to shit on teams that are doing well when that isn't the case.

Everyone is guilty of it, especially at the beginning of the season.

I'm agreeing with you and you're upset for some reason.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well, it’s a small sample size, but I’m changing my vote to Yes. I mean an above average GM is a pretty low bar and his resume in Tampa alone clearly makes him above average. Detroit looks like a team on the rise based on the eye test as well.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I am not some "metrics are everything type", but I do think the above metrics do a decent job at predicting the top teams - Carolina, Colorado, NJ, Boston are all usually top 5 teams by seasons end in those metrics.
I've been a bit confused how NJ is getting SO much hype this year, but now we're just acting like they've been a juggernaut for years and years? Seems like if they have in fact "usually" been top 5 in those stats, that would refute your own argument.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

He is 4% above his average shooting % and on pace for 98 goals...

Not really the same.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I am impressed by the team's depth. All 4 lines are rolling and that is directly attributable to Yzerman's signings.

And unlike other contenders we have the salary cap to improve our team even further as well as call up some of our exceptional young talent from GR if they are deemed worthy by Stevie.

If we continue to be competitive all the way to the TDL, I trust Yzerman's judgement to make the right moves to help us contend in the playoffs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well, he hasn't scored a goal in 3 games. We'll see what happens with that pace.

I also don't think he will shoot 500 shots this year or keep that pace... but he is close to a sustainable pace if he keeps shooting 6 shots a game.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
He's lookin pretty good right now. Seeing as its finally a team he built. Some prospects are finally over in GR trying to get some time with the big club, meanwhile they're the highest scoring team which comes from the ability to have 4 scoring lines which they finally have.

The team is deep, prospect pool is deep and has to be the best managed cap in the league with no ridiculous contracts. Sure ppl will say Holl or Chariot are bad contracts but every contract on the roster is movable.

Take Edmonton for example, they have 18 players and can't call anyone up with McDavid out due to zero cap flexibility. Classic Holland and that's what Yzerman had to clean up before we got to this team.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
They're shooting over 15% as a team. The best team s% in the league was the oilers last year, a team with elite finishers, and they were under 12%. I'll wait and see lol

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
You seem to imply that chest thumping is excluded to shit on teams that are doing well when that isn't the case.

Everyone is guilty of it, especially at the beginning of the season.

I'm agreeing with you and you're upset for some reason.
I know what you're doing dude, it's not hard to see through the diplomatic front.

We do all chest pump, though. That's what makes sports fun, after all.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
So... instead of winning 6-2 they'll win 4-2? Because that's really the extent of your analysis there.
I don't think Husso/Reimer behind a mediocre (other than Seider) D corps is a .920 tandem either. So at 5.0 GF and 2.5 GA right now, if s% normalizes to say 10% that's 3GF before even touching the goals against.

Thanks for playing though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't think Husso/Reimer behind a mediocre (other than Seider) D corps is a .920 tandem either. So at 5.0 GF and 2.5 GA right now, if s% normalizes to say 10% that's 3GF before even touching the goals against.

Thanks for playing though.
That's also extremely surface level analysis. There's nothing unsustainable about their goaltending, one could probably argue that it's just as likely that Husso will heat up than it is that he drops off.

Also still believing that they don't have any good D other than Seider feels like a take from 2 years ago.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I
That's also extremely surface level analysis. There's nothing unsustainable about their goaltending, one could probably argue that it's just as likely that Husso will heat up than it is that he drops off.

Also still believing that they don't have any good D other than Seider feels like a take from 2 years ago.
I'm saying 15% shooting and .920 goaltending are likely to regress. That may not be deep analysis but it's certainly more compelling than making up scores that don't actually reflect reality and expecting a 5 game sample to continue all season.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I think Yzerman is one of the best in the league in terms of cap management. He just doesn't give out bad long term contracts and is content building thru the draft while signing short term bridge contracts to free agents.

Cup winning teams need two things - Luck and Depth. Depth comes down to management being ruthless with cap management.

Cups are won by having stars who are on team-friendly deals and surrounding those stars with tons of talent. That requires actually negotiating against young stars and making the case that they need to leave money on the table so the team can win a Cup and he has done that for the most part including with their latest signing Alex DeBrincat.

He is also the ideal negotiator when it comes to trading players where he has a reputation of obtaining good players for little return to the other team. He is notoriously tight lipped on the negotiations behind the scene and more often than not gets the better of this trade deals.

Last edited:

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I think Yzerman is one of the best in the league in terms of cap management. He just doesn't give out bad long term contracts and is content building thru the draft while signing short term bridge contracts to free agents.

Cup winning teams need two things - Luck and Depth. Depth comes down to management being ruthless with cap management.

Cups are won by having stars who are on team-friendly deals and surrounding those stars with tons of talent. That requires actually negotiating against young stars and making the case that they need to leave money on the table so the team can win a Cup and he has done that for the most part including with their latest signing Alex DeBrincat.

He is also the ideal negotiator when it comes to trading players where he has a reputation of obtaining good players for little return to the other team. He is notoriously tight lipped on the negotiations behind the scene and more often than not gets the better of this trade deals.
Oh please, DeBrincat wanted to go to Detroit.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Nice review of the Yzerplan and the Redwings chances in the Atlantic division

The article is very optimistic on the Redwings chances in the division.

"Looking at the rest of the division, the Bruins are 5-0-0 but haven’t played anyone good. The Sens are off to a good start and should be in contention. The Maple Leafs entered as the favorite and should be in the top-3 most of the season but could run into issues in net and on defense. The Lightning, Canadiens, Sabres and Panthers are all underperforming early on. Other than the Bolts, none of those teams have as good defensive forwards as Detroit.

Boston should regress. Toronto will be the top competition, but Detroit should be better or on par with Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida and Buffalo. It’s not crazy to think the Red Wings can win the Atlantic Division after what we’ve seen."

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Nice review of the Yzerplan and the Redwings chances in the Atlantic division

The article is very optimistic on the Redwings chances in the division.

"Looking at the rest of the division, the Bruins are 5-0-0 but haven’t played anyone good. The Sens are off to a good start and should be in contention. The Maple Leafs entered as the favorite and should be in the top-3 most of the season but could run into issues in net and on defense. The Lightning, Canadiens, Sabres and Panthers are all underperforming early on. Other than the Bolts, none of those teams have as good defensive forwards as Detroit.

Boston should regress. Toronto will be the top competition, but Detroit should be better or on par with Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida and Buffalo. It’s not crazy to think the Red Wings can win the Atlantic Division after what we’ve seen."
Seems crazy to think they will be on par with TBL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I

I'm saying 15% shooting and .920 goaltending are likely to regress. That may not be deep analysis but it's certainly more compelling than making up scores that don't actually reflect reality and expecting a 5 game sample to continue all season.
It's not likely to regress, it's guaranteed to regress. The question isn't if Detroit's a top 5 team in the league, it's whether or not they are really as bad as people predicted them to be and if the rebuild is a failure without hope like many thought when they traded away Gustav Lindström.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad