Is Rasmus Dahlin overrated?

Is Rasmus Dahline overrated?

• Total voters

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Best D prospect since Potvin, already a superstar, better than Hedman already, etc. I mean yes he is, not sure why people are picking on Leafs fans saying he's overrated when there's posts like the ones I just wrote. The evidence is right on this site for the picking. Not sure why Sabres fans are using Matthews hype as a rebuttal, in some cases he was also overrated before his draft..

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i don't know why players like Mcdavid, Matthews etc are even mentioned here. It's about Dahlin and Overrated is subjective, in regard to whos comment?

i personnaly don't think he's overrated from the level he's playing against men as we speak, the way he skates, his edgework is just phenomenal, the poise and composure he has when he's under pressure at the blueline is out of this world. Is his game going to 100% translate in the Show, it's impossible to know just like it was impossible to know if Crosby and Mcdavid would indeed dominate like they are or just be great player! one thing is sure, he's name should be mentionned beside this 2 guys PRE-DRAFT, cause the potential is there, Now he needs to prove he's worth post-draft to stick around these name.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Best D prospect since Potvin, already a superstar, better than Hedman already, etc. I mean yes he is, not sure why people are picking on Leafs fans saying he's overrated when there's posts like the ones I just wrote. The evidence is right on this site for the picking. Not sure why Sabres fans are using Matthews hype as a rebuttal, in some cases he was also overrated before his draft..
I gotta say I am starting to feel like I am sleeping on Dahlin a lil bit. I personally didn't see "best D man since Potvin" level skill out of the kid but hey.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Potvin was great because he was willing to die to win. One of the highest compete levels ever. Call me skeptical until I see it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Obviously he is. People have been talking about him for months and he still has zero points in the NHL. Surefire bust status.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Leafs fans this time two years ago were ready to crown Matthews as the supreme leader of the NHL but yeah, go ahead and call the soon to be first overall pick by your rival team overrated. good one

Oilers fans have never talked down about first overall picks on rival teams being overrated, especially not the supreme leader of the NHL.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
This is correct
I'll admit that I fall into this group. I think at this point he is overrated. I saw him play at the WJC, and a couple of SHL games. He is a great talent, don't get me wrong. I just feel that even though he will have an outstanding rookie year, he will disappoint relative to the sky high expectations of him. Buffalo is an awful team, with brutal D and goalies, he is going to be expected to step right in and be the #1 Franchise D immediately. That is a tough situation for a 19 YO. I have no doubt that he will be a star in the NHL, but it will take some time, just like it did for Hedman, Keith, Doughty, Karlson ect...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Meet Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin, the 17-year-old scouts say will be better than Erik Karlsson

“Compared to guys like Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman, this guy is better,” said Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players. “I had a lot to do with Hedman and know him like a friend also, but this is better. I coached Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was not even close to this. This is something special.”

I'd say underrated on HF, fairly rated by media.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I haven't seen enough. And even for those that have seen a lot, the NHL is very different.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

The evidence is from the scouts, players and coaches who have ever seen Dahlin play.

Hockey fans say Dahlin is generational.
Leaf fans say he's overrated. :help:

I love the reading the Leaf fans post. The panic is pure gold!

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Hedman: GP:43 G:7 A:14 P:21 +21 in his draft year

Larsson: GP:49 G:4 A:13 P: 17 +4 2 years before his draft year

Dahlin: GP:41 G:7 A:13 P:20 +4 in his draft year

Go back and watch the film and you'll see Victor taking over games as well. Not with as much polished flash and dash but it didn't matter. The guy was hyped as mother****ing confirmed CleganeBowl and then Larsson was said to be even further along in his development at the same age.

The difference in stats is negligible. We're talking about high end Swedish defensive prospects here. They don't get hype they ARE hype.

Edit: Forgot Larsson's stats
please show me a clip of any of these two players doing what dahlin does at their age, i'll wait

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Matthews is the best player on the Leafs, who in the regular season were a top ten team?

I think Dahlin is overrated by those thinking he's 100% generational, but he's very clearly will be a top player with a good chance to gain the generational label.
Better #1 than Matthews

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I think some overrate him and some underrate him. Hes a young guy and a defenceman so hes more uncertain. He might become as good as his biggest fans believe or he might be just another very good defenceman and one of the best in his time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's overrated in the sense that he isn't generational, and anyone expecting him to be is overrating him. He is unlikely to win multiple Harts, and be consistently better than the top 3 or 4 forwards in the league.

People are throwing around generational defenceman, but even the best defenceman in the league is consistently more valuable than the top 3 or 4 forwards in the league. So, people are over the top in thinking how good he is, because its rare for a defender, so they ignore the comparable prospects that were on his tier (Matthews, Eichel, Tavares, and Stamkos since Crosby). This is also before getting into positional risk. While scarcity and value are linked, they aren't the exact same thing. What should be a guaranteed franchise defender and Norris candidate at the top of the draft, is more rare than a Center who is likely to get a couple Hart nominations (Tavares and Stamkos have both already been nominated, we will see with Matthews and Eichel, but we will also see if Dahlin is a perennial Norris winner), but that that rarity doesn't make them a better prospect or NHL player.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dahlin might be overrated for the very simple reason that scouts and the media are sending somewhat conflicting messages about him.

Take as an example the THN draft issue, which does the following things at the same time:

- Claim that there is a massive gap between Dahlin and everyone else in the draft (according to one scout's point of view)

- Compare Dahlin to Victor Hedman (as his highest potential upside)

Of course Hedman is a terrific player, but if Dahlin is so generational a prospect as some claim wouldn't his upside be on the level of Bobby Orr or at least Ray Bourque?
I think the Hedman comparisons are heavily influenced by Hedman now, not solely as a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad