Is Rasmus Dahlin overrated?

Is Rasmus Dahline overrated?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the Hedman comparisons are heavily influenced by Hedman now, not solely as a prospect.
Its not his best case, although the best case scenario for most of that THN is a joke. I'd say Dahlin's best case is Ray Bourque, but they say a bunch of dumb things. Brady Tkachuk, while unlikely to reach it, has a best case of someone like Jamie Benn or his Dad, not Wayne Simmonds. Bode Wilde, one plays nothing like his best case, but it also makes no sense, as we have no idea what Brandon Carlo's best case is.

But, you can't expect much from a magazine which in. one of their featured pieces has the premise of Brady Tkachuk not slipping to the Flames at 12. With the author then wondering if Calgary could trade up, while completely forgetting that the Flames traded their first almost a year ago with no lotto-protection to the Isles.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Its not his best case, although the best case scenario for most of that THN is a joke. I'd say Dahlin's best case is Ray Bourque, but they say a bunch of dumb things. Brady Tkachuk, while unlikely to reach it, has a best case of someone like Jamie Benn or his Dad, not Wayne Simmonds. Bode Wilde, one plays nothing like his best case, but it also makes no sense, as we have no idea what Brandon Carlo's best case is.

But, you can't expect much from a magazine which in. one of their featured pieces has the premise of Brady Tkachuk not slipping to the Flames at 12. With the author then wondering if Calgary could trade up, while completely forgetting that the Flames traded their first almost a year ago with no lotto-protection to the Isles.
Definitely not best case, but certainly a reasonable projection.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
For those that think Dahlin is generational, will you rethink that if he hasn't won a Norris in the next 2-3 years? Because that's the bar that's been set by the only guys who everyone agrees are generational.

Also, I feel gross using that word.

Reactions: Raymoondo

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs fans this time two years ago were ready to crown Matthews as the supreme leader of the NHL but yeah, go ahead and call the soon to be first overall pick by your rival team overrated. good one
let's see how Oilers fans change their tune when Dahlin gets compared to their golden boy

Reactions: LeafsNation75

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He's overrated if you think he's a generational prospect.

He's rated just fine if you think he's a potential franchise Dman.

I win the thread/

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Comparing Hedman, Larsson and Dahlin by their stats does not really mean much.

Dahlin is extremely smart, plays extremely well positionally and has the technical skills that Larsson and Hedman does not have. At similar ages, Dahlin is the far superior prospect and really, it's not that close either. Dahlin dazzle you almost every game one way or the other.

That said, who knows if everything translates, defensemen have a harder time to translate.. just look at Ekblad.. or even Hedman. It took some time for him to get where he is right now.

For those that think Dahlin is generational, will you rethink that if he hasn't won a Norris in the next 2-3 years? Because that's the bar that's been set by the only guys who everyone agrees are generational.

Do you think a 7 time Norris winner is generational if he won his first at the age of 30? Not winning anything within his first couple of years does not mean much really in terms of the somewhat tiresome term generational...

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Dahlin might be overrated for the very simple reason that scouts and the media are sending somewhat conflicting messages about him.

Take as an example the THN draft issue, which does the following things at the same time:

- Claim that there is a massive gap between Dahlin and everyone else in the draft (according to one scout's point of view)

- Compare Dahlin to Victor Hedman (as his highest potential upside)

Of course Hedman is a terrific player, but if Dahlin is so generational a prospect as some claim wouldn't his upside be on the level of Bobby Orr or at least Ray Bourque?

I mean a lot of people on this site proclaim Crosby as a generational player and we know for a fact he didnt have the upside of Gretzky or Lemieux, or even someone like LaFleur.

Not so sure that Hedman is any worse than Bourque btw, obviously
the latter did what Hedman is currently doing for a freakishly long time.

As for the topic, it really depends on how you rate him I suppose. To me he has a quite good chance of joining the Hedman territory and a quite slim chance of eclipising it. But I mean Hedman is probably the best defenceman in the world so if that's where he is quite likely to end up I guess that kinda deserves some hype.

Hell if Crosby is generational I could see a case for Hedman being generational if he keeps up his current play for another 6-8 years.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Anyone who thinks Dahlin is generational is highly overrating him. Outside of those ridiculous opinions, he is fairly rated to slightly overrated.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Hedman and Ekblad relied more heavily on their physical stature than a guy like Dahlin, who has good NHL size at 6'2" but is much more slight of frame.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He suffers from the shiney new toy syndrome like majority of 1st OA picks-- I've seen the generational tag thrown out enough time recently that made me vote yes. Though a lot of it isn't from Buffalo fans.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
let's see how Oilers fans change their tune when Dahlin gets compared to their golden boy
I personally won't mind because all those players have so much skill.
I just don't get why Leafs fans don't agree with the "generational" thing for Dahlin as a prospect but all collectively agreed Matthews was at the time they won the lottery two years ago.

Our guy has been in the league for three years, recorded PPG+ every single year, 2x 100 point seasons and 4 personal trophies collected.
Your guy has been in the league for two years and posted a 40 goal season and PPG season the other one with one personal trophy.
Dahlin has shown immense skill at his age the exact with our guy and your guy has yet he's not the same. why?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He's overrated in the sense that he isn't generational, and anyone expecting him to be is overrating him. He is unlikely to win multiple Harts, and be consistently better than the top 3 or 4 forwards in the league.

People are throwing around generational defenceman, but even the best defenceman in the league is consistently more valuable than the top 3 or 4 forwards in the league. So, people are over the top in thinking how good he is, because its rare for a defender, so they ignore the comparable prospects that were on his tier (Matthews, Eichel, Tavares, and Stamkos since Crosby). This is also before getting into positional risk. While scarcity and value are linked, they aren't the exact same thing. What should be a guaranteed franchise defender and Norris candidate at the top of the draft, is more rare than a Center who is likely to get a couple Hart nominations (Tavares and Stamkos have both already been nominated, we will see with Matthews and Eichel, but we will also see if Dahlin is a perennial Norris winner), but that that rarity doesn't make them a better prospect or NHL player.

So are Dahlin's coaches, scouts and the analysts wrong?
Do you think Matthews is generational?

Meet Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin, the 17-year-old scouts say will be better than Erik Karlsson

“Compared to guys like Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman, this guy is better,” said Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players. “I had a lot to do with Hedman and know him like a friend also, but this is better. I coached Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was not even close to this. This is something special.”

Likewise, the phenom’s teammates enthuse almost without reservation. Frolunda blueliner Jonathan Sigalet passes over the physical aspects of the game and points to Dahlin’s vision and instincts as the assets that set him apart from other prospects. “In a dozen pro seasons, I never played with or against a defenceman who has anything close to his ability to read the play out there and his sense of time and space,” says Sigalet, a Vancouver native who spent a decade in the AHL and KHL before heading to Sweden in 2014. “I’m not talking about young defencemen. I’m talking any defenceman. His skating is off the charts. So are his skills. But there’s some stuff that you can’t teach or work on and are can be hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The comparison is much more apt to Matthews than McDavid, because McDavid is on a whole different tier.

Meanwhile, the majority of people who voted Dahlin being massively overrated....are Leafs fans. Shocking.
Yeah it's because leafs fans are the largest group on the site probably.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

I agree. Generational should be very obvious right at the get-go. Everyone should be oooohing and aaaaahing and making comparisons to Orr/Coffey/Karlsson pretty early on, even if defensemen usually take longer to hit their stride. With the word generational, the rules for the rest go out the window.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I personally won't mind because all those players have so much skill.
I just don't get why Leafs fans don't agree with the "generational" thing for Dahlin as a prospect but all collectively agreed Matthews was at the time they won the lottery two years ago.

Our guy has been in the league for three years, recorded PPG+ every single year, 2x 100 point seasons and 4 personal trophies collected.
Your guy has been in the league for two years and posted a 40 goal season and PPG season the other one with one personal trophy.
Dahlin has shown immense skill at his age the exact with our guy and your guy has yet he's not the same. why?
I've said since Matthews was drafted that he wasn't a generational prospect. So, lets not imply that every Leafs fan did.

Reactions: Kelly and Raymoondo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So are Dahlin's coaches, scouts and the analysts wrong?
Do you think Matthews is generational?

Meet Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin, the 17-year-old scouts say will be better than Erik Karlsson

“Compared to guys like Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman, this guy is better,” said Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players. “I had a lot to do with Hedman and know him like a friend also, but this is better. I coached Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was not even close to this. This is something special.”

Likewise, the phenom’s teammates enthuse almost without reservation. Frolunda blueliner Jonathan Sigalet passes over the physical aspects of the game and points to Dahlin’s vision and instincts as the assets that set him apart from other prospects. “In a dozen pro seasons, I never played with or against a defenceman who has anything close to his ability to read the play out there and his sense of time and space,” says Sigalet, a Vancouver native who spent a decade in the AHL and KHL before heading to Sweden in 2014. “I’m not talking about young defencemen. I’m talking any defenceman. His skating is off the charts. So are his skills. But there’s some stuff that you can’t teach or work on and are can be hard to describe but you know it when you see it.
And Pronman just said he's the 5th best prospect since the 2014 draft.

And no, the only generational prospect since Crosby is McDavid. The only generational prospects since Gretzky are Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid.

Reactions: Mitts888

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad