Is Rasmus Dahlin overrated?

Is Rasmus Dahline overrated?

• Total voters

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Short answer yes. The media has to do its job to get fans excited.

Long answer: He is what he is and it's a 1st overall pick. He's another phenomenal defensive talent for his age from Sweden such as Hedman and Larsson who came before him. What is a draft if we're not hyping the shit out of the top prospects? Why would anyone watch unless they heard "OMG HE'S THE BEST DEFENSIVE TALENT TO COME OUT IN "X" YEARS HE'LL BE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT! THIS KID IS A TOTAL GAME CHANGER"

Who would watch if fans were told the reality of that he's ready to play but he'll need probably 2 or 3 years to realize his full potential and his rookie year will likely see him put up 10 goals and anywhere from 30 to 45 points and finish with a -12 because the Sabres still have so much work to do?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

Long answer: He is what he is and it's a 1st overall pick. He's another phenomenal defensive talent for his age from Sweden such as Hedman and Larsson who came before him. What is a draft if we're not hyping the **** out of the top prospects? Why would anyone watch unless they heard "OMG HE'S THE BEST DEFENSIVE TALENT TO COME OUT IN "X" YEARS HE'LL BE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT! THIS KID IS A TOTAL GAME CHANGER"

Who would watch if fans were told the reality of that he's ready to play but he'll need probably 2 or 3 years to realize his full potential and his rookie year will likely see him put up 10 goals and anywhere from 30 to 45 points and finish with a -12 because the Sabres still have so much work to do?

Such as? Dahlin is on a whole other level.

He deserves the hype. Not overrated

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Such as? Dahlin is on a whole other level

Hedman: GP:43 G:7 A:14 P:21 +21 in his draft year

Larsson: GP:49 G:4 A:13 P: 17 +4 2 years before his draft year

Dahlin: GP:41 G:7 A:13 P:20 +4 in his draft year

Go back and watch the film and you'll see Victor taking over games as well. Not with as much polished flash and dash but it didn't matter. The guy was hyped as motherf***ing confirmed CleganeBowl and then Larsson was said to be even further along in his development at the same age.

The difference in stats is negligible. We're talking about high end Swedish defensive prospects here. They don't get hype they ARE hype.

Edit: Forgot Larsson's stats

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We'll see next year. On here I think he is, only because he is being called generational. If he doesn't come in and dominate as a D in a top 4 role, pushing for the top pair as the year goes on - especially on Buffalo, then yeah he is over rated.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yes, very over rated. The kid hasn't even been drafted and people have him as some sort of great panacea for Buffalo.

I do think he's going to be a great player but I also say, let's slow the hype train down a little bit.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hedman: GP:43 G:7 A:14 P:21 +21 in his draft year

Larsson: GP:49 G:4 A:13 P: 17 +4 2 years before his draft year

Dahlin: GP:41 G:7 A:13 P:20 +4 in his draft year

Go back and watch the film and you'll see Victor taking over games as well. Not with as much polished flash and dash but it didn't matter. The guy was hyped as mother****ing confirmed CleganeBowl and then Larsson was said to be even further along in his development at the same age.

The difference in stats is negligible. We're talking about high end Swedish defensive prospects here. They don't get hype they ARE hype.

Edit: Forgot Larsson's stats
Why even bother with scouting. Just draft the kid with the most points every year, EASY.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yes, very over rated. The kid hasn't even been drafted and people have him as some sort of great panacea for Buffalo.

I do think he's going to be a great player but I also say, let's slow the hype train down a little bit.
saying he's on a whole other level than hedman is good evidence that he's extremely overrated by some
The fact that these posts are coming from Leafs fans makes them even more hilarious.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
depends on who you ask, some are liberally throwing around "generational" (just like some did with Matthews and Laine where they shouldn't have)

he's drawing even with Matthews in a poll right now and that absolutely shouldn't be the case when comparing two guys with similar upside where one hasn't played an NHL game and the other is the best player a top 10 team

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why even bother with scouting. Just draft the kid with the most points every year, EASY.

I think "Teenage Swedish defenseman who scores the most points" may have been better phrasing. I mean it's not like their talent is reflected by their production or anything.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

Long answer: He is what he is and it's a 1st overall pick. He's another phenomenal defensive talent for his age from Sweden such as Hedman and Larsson who came before him. What is a draft if we're not hyping the **** out of the top prospects? Why would anyone watch unless they heard "OMG HE'S THE BEST DEFENSIVE TALENT TO COME OUT IN "X" YEARS HE'LL BE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT! THIS KID IS A TOTAL GAME CHANGER"

If it's so media driven then why was a guy like Ekblad significantly less hyped even though he was Canadian? There was talk he was a franchise D and a future number one D but you didn't hear any of the historical comparisons.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
depends on who you ask, some are liberally throwing around "generational" (just like some did with Matthews and Laine where they shouldn't have)

he's drawing even with Matthews in a poll right now and that absolutely shouldn't be the case when comparing two guys with similar upside where one hasn't played an NHL game and the other is the best player a top 10 team
????

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If it's so media driven then why was a guy like Ekblad significantly less hyped even though he was Canadian? There was talk he was a franchise D and a future number one D but you didn't hear any of the historical comparisons.

All part of the plan to keep a good 'Ol Onatrio kid down.

But seriously though who they hype is up to them. It's more than likely that because Ekblad dominated against competition his own age instead of in a men's league and there's less sense of wonder what his potential is. If the media wants to start making historical comparisons be my guest. I don't care if you're Canadian, American, Swedish or from outer space. If praise like "Defends like Nik Lidstrom" gets thrown about for an 18 year old it's media driven and nothing more. Playing defense like that is not something you master as an 18 year old.

I don't know why but Hedman, Larsson and Dahlin have all gotten super massive hype over the last decade.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Since I know you are a Swede and big SHL viewer, what brings you to that conclusion? You've seen all three, yet you aren't swayed by the stat line. Why?

Because with the puck at his stick he's better than Hedman was on pretty much everything except shooting the puck maybe. He just has the x-factor in his offensive game that I personally didn't see in the same way with Hedman(Who was great too). Everytime Dahlin play you are pretty much guaranteed a wow moment. And let's be honest here I was still just a kid when Hedman came through.

I also really like what he showed at the World Juniors. Would have been so easy to get carried away to show off with all the hype surrounding him. Instead he played a really smart, mature game and valued each situation great. Real team before I spirit

I feel like Hedman and Larsson got more hype in NA compared to Sweden if their hype were similar to Dahlin's current hype

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad