Is Rasmus Dahlin overrated?

Is Rasmus Dahline overrated?

• Total voters

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Because with the puck at his stick he's better than Hedman was on pretty much everything except shooting the puck maybe. He just has the x-factor in his offensive game that I personally didn't see in the same way with Hedman(Who was great too). Everytime Dahlin play you are pretty much guaranteed a wow moment. And let's be honest here I was still just a kid when Hedman came through.

I also really like what he showed at the World Juniors. Would have been so easy to get carried away to show off with all the hype surrounding him. Instead he played a really smart, mature game and valued each situation great. Real team before I spirit

I feel like Hedman and Larsson got more hype in NA compared to Sweden if their hype were similar to Dahlin's current hype
In N/A we fall in love with Swede D men if they can skate and have size.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Most polished defensive prospect in the last decade, I’m gonna bet he’s not gonna be a Lidstrom or Karlsson but he’s the only Defensmen in years with a Franchise/Elite level floor. I’d say he’s Generational from a positional aspect(just from looking at how rare it is to find Defensmen with such a high floor) but not from a talent aspect(he’s not in the range of McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin).

I’ll say not really(to the overrated part), but some people are overrating him, I think he’ll be a Doughty type Defensemen(maybe he scores more and plays a a little worse defensively) and probably HOF’er but not in the names of Lidrstrom, Orr or any of the other Generational players(including forwards, I just don’t see it).

Last edited:
Reactions: EichHart and remote

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Whats the issue? You are upset that posters are not saying Dahlin will be the next Orr/Lidstrom??, saying Dahlin is similar to Hedman isn't a knock on the kid.
Just remembering how things were after the 2016 lottery and how hypocritical Leafs fans are being, nothing more.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
1 thing that is going to bug me is all the haters when he doesn't explode out of the gate. Remember he is coming to N/A ice and it takes D men a lil to re learn their angles etc. Dahlin is just flat out too talented to not become a top 5 D in the NHL but he may need a lil time

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Why even bother with scouting. Just draft the kid with the most points every year, EASY.
I was heartbroken when the Habs outsmarted the whole league drafting Corey Locke. And gee, this thread gets started because of Another poll. And like that other poll this one has gone 2/3rds in OPs wished direction.

Dahlin is underrated, clearly third best prospect since Lindros (only McDavid and Crosby better). IF Dahlin was Canadian he'd be hyped up 5x more

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I was heartbroken when the Habs outsmarted the whole league drafting Corey Locke. And gee, this thread gets started because of Another poll. And like that other poll this one has gone 2/3rds in OPs wished direction.

Dahlin is underrated, clearly third best prospect since Lindros (only McDavid and Crosby better). IF Dahlin was Canadian he'd be hyped up 5x more
I don't think thats true. Matthews/Ovi maybe even a cpl others

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
more valuable than McDavid as well. Why single out Leaf fans?
And how is saying Dahlin will be akin to Hedman a top 5 d man in the NHL a slight?

Yes. Hedman is no slouch. Is a top 3 defenceman of his cohort. Dahlin should be thrilled if he became as good as Hedman.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I feel sorry for the kid. He could step into the league next year and win the Art Ross and he still wouldn't be able to match the HYPE he is being given.

It's sad.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Am I right to be taken back by statments like "Dahlin is the most hyped D prospect ever"?

Yes, the media is certainly having a field day playing up the hype. The last decade has lacked real top notch defenders as a whole, and the people need a new defenceman savior to latch onto. The media is more than happy to oblige and give the people what it wants. If he doesn’t pan out, that’s ok. With a brand new draft every year with more shiny unwrapped toys, hope springs eternal.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Option 3. Of course, we have to see him play in the NHL first to determine how skilled he really is but for now I think he just might be the best dman prospect since Victor Hedman.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Option 3. Of course, we have to see him play in the NHL first to determine how skilled he really is but for now I think he just might be the best dman prospect since Victor Hedman.
that's perfectly reasonable, but the average HF opinion of Dahlin is much higher than that at face value

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The fact that these posts are coming from Leafs fans makes them even more hilarious.
Can't believe I'm such a leafs homer that I don't think Dahlin is a tier above hedman. The real hilarious thing is that you are a Buffalo fan whining about that

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Dahlin might be overrated for the very simple reason that scouts and the media are sending somewhat conflicting messages about him.

Take as an example the THN draft issue, which does the following things at the same time:

- Claim that there is a massive gap between Dahlin and everyone else in the draft (according to one scout's point of view)

- Compare Dahlin to Victor Hedman (as his highest potential upside)

Of course Hedman is a terrific player, but if Dahlin is so generational a prospect as some claim wouldn't his upside be on the level of Bobby Orr or at least Ray Bourque?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Some people of course overrate him, but overall I don't think he's much overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad