Is Provorov top 10 all around d man yet?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, Flyers fans haven't claimed he should win the Norris. In fact, looking at the thread, most Flyers fans feel he has an argument for top 20, with some holdouts who don't think he's even at that level yet. Has there been a single Flyers fan in the entire thread who even thinks he's a top 10 guy right now?

There seems to be quite a few that are arguing he’s a better defenseman than guys that are clearly in the top 10, Karlsson, Burns etc.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
If you're wanting to put an emphasis on the defensive end of things and for some reason exclude Karlsson, Klingberg, Carlson, Krug, then here you go:

Drew Doughty
Victor Hedman
PK Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Seth Jones
Ryan Suter
Roman Josi
Hampus Lindholm
OEL
Duncan Keith
Kris Letang
Jake Gardiner
Zach Werenski

I think that's over 10. And I did that without really having to think too hard of it

Gardener and Werenski? Is this a joke? Both are good dmen but no GM in their right mind would take either over Provorov. Letang’s career of but not at this point in his career.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
There seems to be quite a few that are arguing he’s a better defenseman than guys that are clearly in the top 10, Karlsson, Burns etc.
I don’t think those are flyers fans. Looks like fans of other teams.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I don’t think those are flyers fans. Looks like fans of other teams.

Unfortunately people seem to like to think all fanbases are full of delusional stans and that if any one has too much praise for some one they must be a fan of that players team lol.

I actually made a thread in October or November 2016 about how the flyers d was horrible and being badly overrated by non-flyers fans just because of how much pts they had by dmen. Lol it literally turned into flyers fans debating non-flyers fans with thr flyers fans on the side of they are worse than you think, and them thinking they are better.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Formula is called Common sense.

McAvoy plays with a great defensive defensemen who allows him to Rome and has easier minutes. He would be glued to his blueline with Amac

Other than when the Bruins are on national TV, how often do you watch Chara and McAvoy play?

Chara benefits from McAvoy’s presence just as much as C-Mac benefits from Chara. And how does playing with Chara, who gets the top matchups every night, make McAvoy’s minutes “easier”?

I like Provorov...a lot. I just like McAvoy a little better.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Provorov is really underrated. Pretty clear that most people commenting in this thread haven't watched him play. He might not be top10 yet, but he's really, really good and should be a perennial Norris candidate in his prime.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Actually, that isn't the case whatsoever...

I think he’s in the 10-20 range.

seth jones
doughty
karlsson
hedman
pieterangelo
burns
letang
ekblad
hamilton
josi
pk

that is 11 just off the top of my head.

Robot. Provocop. He is beast.
But for me he is in the 10-20 range now for me.

Provorov is likely in the 15-25 range. I will say, Provorov has had a couple poor performances in the last couple weeks and could be playing injured. Just the thought of his minutes going to Manning,Hagg, Amac is enough to will Provorov to continuing playing.

I know, he's no Travis Dermott right? :laugh:

Anyway..

Provorov is pretty close to being a top 10 all-around defensemen right now.

He gets extremely difficult minutes for any defensemen, let alone one his age, handles them very well, and leads the NHL in even-strength goals by defensemen this season. He is easily top 20 and I think in his peak years will undoubtedly be a routinely ranked top 10 defensemen with possible Norris trophy votes.

lol...go ahead and make yourself look bad by being a biased NYR fan.

Provy is not a top 10 Dmen over guys who have proven themselves thru multiple years. But he is certainly a #1 Dman and is likely right in the convo with everyone in the 11-20 range.

Tied for 3rd in ES goals.
Tied for 11th in ES points
Great defensively even though he has been making more mistakes lately than normal.

Provorov's taken a bit of a step back in the second half of the season -- his puck skills are off and he's making uncharacteristic mistakes. I'm not concerned long term and think he'll be an elite defender for years to come, but he's a good way off from the top 10 at the moment.

I started this thread thinking he could sneak into the top ten and then I looked at that list and realised just how many quality defensemen there are in this league.

I’ll take Provy over Letang and maybe Ekblad though.

He’s not even the best defensemen on his own team.

Considering he isn't philly's best dman this year. Either the answer is no. Or Ghost is even better than I thought.

I'd say in the 15-20 range right now but he could be in the top 10 as soon as next year.

Flyers fans even jumped to the defense of Burns, EK, and Hamilton (though I personally don't think the latter is as good as Provorov) when they were knocked for their defensive play. Even Sasso, a self-identified "Blackhawks" fan only has Provorov at #12. And just for the record, HF Flyers does NOT claim Sasso, even if his true loyalties lie to the east of the Windy City.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Unfortunately people seem to like to think all fanbases are full of delusional stans and that if any one has too much praise for some one they must be a fan of that players team lol.

I actually made a thread in October or November 2016 about how the flyers d was horrible and being badly overrated by non-flyers fans just because of how much pts they had by dmen. Lol it literally turned into flyers fans debating non-flyers fans with thr flyers fans on the side of they are worse than you think, and them thinking they are better.

That’s hilarious but on par for HF.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yikes he's so overrated. Turnover after turnover, made 3 that lead directly to goals just this game. In an elimination game as well.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yikes he's so overrated. Turnover after turnover, made 3 that lead directly to goals just this game. In an elimination game as well.

084.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad