Is Provorov top 10 all around d man yet?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
It was a great goal but Bergeron hasn't quite been the same player since coming back from injury.

I suspect he is still working his way back but credit where credit is due.
That play can happen to any defender, hurt or not he's still the best defensive forward in the game, at very worst 2nd best

Reactions: DrJustice

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Remove couturier off the first. Giroux at center, Provorov on the point.
Nope.

Giroux runs the PP from the halfwall. If Couts is removed, it needs to be for a guy who is a slot guy that can shoot. Maybe like a Lindblom. Not Provy.

Again, I just don't see Provy getting #1 PP time. And that's fine honestly. We have Ghost for that and he is one of the best.

If Provy can be top 10 in goals and ES points by a Dman, all while playing great defence, I am quite happy.

Reactions: Random Forest

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Nope.

Giroux runs the PP from the halfwall. If Couts is removed, it needs to be for a guy who is a slot guy that can shoot. Maybe like a Lindblom. Not Provy.

Again, I just don't see Provy getting #1 PP time. And that's fine honestly. We have Ghost for that and he is one of the best.

If Provy can be top 10 in goals and ES points by a Dman, all while playing great defence, I am quite happy.

Provy is versatile, and the flyers have a mobile setup on the pp. Giroux can still find himself along the half wall after winning a faceoff which he's better at than couturier anyways.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Provy is versatile, and the flyers have a mobile setup on the pp. Giroux can still find himself along the half wall after winning a faceoff which he's better at than couturier anyways.
They way Philly runs the PP I don't ever see them using 2D

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
i mean if we are going to talk about delusional, flyers fans have been boasting about several elite dman, the best two way forward in the league, Hart candidate Giroux, point per game elite winger, jack adams candidate coach.

but up until this week it was a significant possibility they miss the playoffs. we heard about "the best crop of defensive prospects the league has ever seen" for so long, and it really didn't amount to much. we arevso used to flyers fans blowing smoke why would we take them seriously now?
ghost - 3rd season, stud
provorov - 2nd season, stud
sanheim - rookie, looks a lot better since call up
myers first year in AHL and Morin should be in NHL but hurt all year
and hagg is a fine #5/6
maybe you are delusional

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Because of the 2nd unit. The 1st unit has two of the very best PP players in the game in Giroux and Ghost
pp1 plays around 2/3 of the pp (66%). pp2 plays 1/3 (33%).
PP1 has 38 goals (76%), pp2 has 12 goals (24%). I'm sure all second units struggle more than the first unit. Based on ice time, the 2nd unit hasn't been languishing that much...9% drop off only.

First Unit
Couturier 3.1 pts per 60.
Giroux 7.6 pts per 60.
Simmonds 4.2 pts per 60.
Gostisbehere 6.7 pts per 60.
Vorachek 7.4 pts per 60.

Second Unit
Provorov 2.1 pts per 60.
Filppula 2.0 pts per 60.
Patrick 2.9 pts per 60.
Weal 1.7 pts per 60.
Konecny 1.6 pts per 60.

*note - These numbers aren't 100% perfect, as players cross over to different units on line changes and some injuries pushed certain players onto different units at times.

From what I gather, Couturier can be replaced to make a more effective first unit.
Also the flyers have given up the fourth most shorties with 10.

Provorov is a stud and should be given every opportunity to prove himself on the ice....being buried on a second pp unit doesnt give help him or the team in my opinion.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm hesitant to put him in the Top 10 quite yet...

But he's easily in the Top 20 already and I'd say give him one more year and he'll be in the Top 10 for me. Kid is an unbelievable talent and he's so young still.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Considering he isn't philly's best dman this year. Either the answer is no. Or Ghost is even better than I thought.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
The OP said “all around D” so I assumed he thinks Provo is better than Ghost defensively?

I don’t see enough Flyers games to say if that’s true or not.

Probably does think so, but. The thread is all around (not defensive dman), implying if you were considered better all around by virtue of defensive ability, it would need to be a sufficiently large gap to offset all around.

While I think Provo is better future #1 material, and I am happy with him this year, I just think Ghost is even better this season from an all around perspective.

Edit: I do wish it was a case where both were all around top-10 d. But Provorov isn't yet. And I'm not sure I would put Ghost there either. Glad to see Provo recieve recognition tho... Ghost def deserves a lil more.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
pp1 plays around 2/3 of the pp (66%). pp2 plays 1/3 (33%).
PP1 has 38 goals (76%), pp2 has 12 goals (24%). I'm sure all second units struggle more than the first unit. Based on ice time, the 2nd unit hasn't been languishing that much...9% drop off only.

First Unit
Couturier 3.1 pts per 60.
Giroux 7.6 pts per 60.
Simmonds 4.2 pts per 60.
Gostisbehere 6.7 pts per 60.
Vorachek 7.4 pts per 60.

Second Unit
Provorov 2.1 pts per 60.
Filppula 2.0 pts per 60.
Patrick 2.9 pts per 60.
Weal 1.7 pts per 60.
Konecny 1.6 pts per 60.

*note - These numbers aren't 100% perfect, as players cross over to different units on line changes and some injuries pushed certain players onto different units at times.

From what I gather, Couturier can be replaced to make a more effective first unit.
Also the flyers have given up the fourth most shorties with 10.

Provorov is a stud and should be given every opportunity to prove himself on the ice....being buried on a second pp unit doesnt give help him or the team in my opinion.
Sigh. Why not listen to Flyers fans who watch the games?

You are right though....your numbers are wrong.

What they don't show is:

Filppula scored all 3 of his PP goals while in the 1st unit in October before Couturier took over in early November.

Conversely, Couts started on the 2nd unit and had 1 PPG in that unit in the first month of the season.

Provorov has 2 PPG....all while on the 1st unit when Ghost was out hurt.

Patrick has 3 PPG....all while on the 1st unit when Simmonds was hurt.

So now you are left with 5 PPG from the #2 unit all year. And honestly, ?I believe one of Weals was when he had come on early and was with the 1st unit.

Regardless, in order for Provy to be on the 1st unit, it means moving Voracek either off the PP to the 2nd unit, or into the slot and removing Couturier.

Neither is likely to happen.

And as you have seen, more people would like to see Provy off the PP all together and have Sanheim take over, than have him on the top unit. And as I said, not being on that top unit will always keep his points lower.

But that's ok, as maybe it also keeps his cap hit lower. We know his value even with roughly 10 less PP points a year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In no particular order:

Pietrangelo
Josi
Doughty
Karlsson
Carlson
Jones
Suter
Risto
OEL
Ekblad
Werenski

Parayko
Ekholm
Subban
Burns
Fowler
McAvoy
Faulk

Klingberg
Hedman

All guys I would take over Provo (right now), but he will eclipse a lot of them in the next 2-3 years.

Hes better than all of the guys in Bold.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad