Is players scuttling trade deals going to be a regular thing now?... Even with teams not on their NMC list?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
NTC are killing the smaller market, and cold market teams. NHL would be smart to negotiate them out of the next CBA, would probably help grow the game, too.
His NTC had nothing to do with wanting more trade value by him signing a contract extension with his new team.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Nothing new, and well within the players rights. What was a bigger issue (at least from what I saw) was how publicly it was being done. Everyone knows that they call agents and ask about interest in signing if they trade. And yes/no is always up to the players. But I've never seen the players agent be so public about it to the local media before (at least in Calgary, not sure if that plays out publicly in other markets), and I think that's where a lot of this talk comes from.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So do you think more players are going to do what Hanifin did in the trade?
...ie. You can trade for me but when my contract is up I won't re-sign with you.
I think they should be honest but it doesn't matter to me

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
While it does hurt Calgary, it does help the other team from overpaying. It's a zero sum game. I don't see an issue at all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hanifin didn't scuttle a rental, the Flames could have still rented him out and got a rental price from many clubs.

They wanted a big sign and trade deal which of course is naturally going to be limited to where Hanifin wants to sign.

If Seravalli is trying to make this into a controversy, that's lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad