Is players scuttling trade deals going to be a regular thing now?... Even with teams not on their NMC list?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe teams, and companies, should try to make themselves a good place to work at. If players are UFA's they have every right to choose where they want to work at, and that is often decided when they are fielding multiple offers.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, thats the risk giving teams permission to negotiate before the trade. This could have been prevented by not giving that permission, but Flames wanted to increase the trade value by selling non-rental. Ended up decreasing the value when player answered honestly for the inquiries and some teams decided to go elsewhere.

if anything saying this is insult for Hanifin, who did nothing wrong. He suddenly starts getting calls from cities he isnt planning to sign with, whats he supposed to do? Lie?

Did Flames even check up on Hanifin what his plans are before giving other teams the green light? If they did, why would they let him snub teams out of the race instead of keeping the bidding war going as a blind auction.

Reactions: Curufinwe

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, thats the risk giving teams permission to negotiate before the trade. This could have been prevented by not giving that permission, but Flames wanted to increase the trade value by selling non-rental. Ended up decreasing the value when player answered honestly for the inquiries and some teams decided to go elsewhere.

if anything saying this is insult for Hanifin, who did nothing wrong. He suddenly starts getting calls from cities he isnt planning to sign with, whats he supposed to do? Lie?

Did Flames even check up on Hanifin what his plans are before giving other teams the green light? If they did, why would they let him snub teams out of the race instead of keeping the bidding war going as a blind auction.
Considering they couldn't take a hint when he wouldn't re-sign with them for months, I don't know even with information from Hanifin if Conroy couldn't figured out things the best way.

Doesn't help when Markstrom comes out publicly complaining about how things were going last week either.

Conroy showed just how raw he was as a GM. But hey what could go wrong with a rookie GM and all those UFA's this year?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's going to suck for a lot of teams. There seems to be 4 or 5 teams that are a destination of choice. The rich get richer while the rest of the league fights for the leftovers.
There is only so many players a team can have.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This isn't anything new.

Calgary wanted to do a trade and sign to get more value. Hanafin had only a couple places he would sign with.

It's a nothing burger. They got rental price.
This. And as alluded to above: it's not like Calgary couldn't have traded Hanifin anywhere else. He only had like an 8-team NTC. It's just that other teams were reluctant to part with more valuable pieces knowing Hanifin would play out the contract and go to UFA on July 1, and in the end the offer from Vegas is the one Conroy thought was the best for his team.

If that's a problem, it's not Hanifin's problem. Or other teams' problem.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya if anything trades with immediate signings are the abnormality.

Like Tkachuk was the first actual sign and trade. If Hanifin signs in Vegas not sure why he wouldn't have wanted the extra year though

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I say this as a formers Flames season ticket holder and huge fan. But Flames have really turned themselves into a joke over the last couple years.

This situation specifically is completely the fault of the Flames. They should have asked Hanifin where he would sign with, and then only allowed those teams to approach him after a trade deal was all but in place and treated the rest of the offers as a rental. Cause that's what he was. Do they not know how UFA works?

Instead they got their media mouthpieces trying to make Hanifin the bad guy. You can only do this so many times,

Sure, f*** Erixon for wanting to go to daddy's team. f*** Fox for wanting to go to the Rangers (though I mean, good on him for having the negotiation tactics of being either "you sign with us or you get a Harvard degree!" Like yeah good luck with that one Flames, and him being honest allowed him to be part of the Canes trade).

But then you had the Gaudreau fiasco. Tkachuk wanting out. Shipping Monahan out. Even if it was beyond your control. that should spell a rebuild. But instead you refuse, so you get a shit team with no direction and players wanting out. But you need to make sure everyone knows they are evil for wanting out, so bye Zadorov, bye Lindholm, bye Hanifin you evil f***s.

You also get the owners meddling in the trades like Markstrom so they can't do anything anyways.

I don't see any reason any player would want to be with the Flames anymore. It's a gongshow. It's going to be back to the pre-Sutter days where the only players who would stick around are the hometown players and it's a waste of drafting anyone not from western Canada. Like why would you sign for a shit team that will only make you out to be the bad guy if you want to not be on a shit team?

Better hope baby Iginlas get drafted here and end up like daddy, cause otherwise it's going to be another bad two decades.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Ya if anything trades with immediate signings are the abnormality.

Like Tkachuk was the first actual sign and trade.
There have been sign-and-trades before that. Just right off the top of my head, Justin Faulk was one when he went from Carolina to St. Louis in 2019. But yes, they're far more the exception than the rule.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's going to suck for a lot of teams. There seems to be 4 or 5 teams that are a destination of choice. The rich get richer while the rest of the league fights for the leftovers.

That's always been the case to varying degrees. Players want to play on good teams that are well run franchises.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Players flexed their muscles back in the early 90's, and while they generally lose(relatively) the big picture CBA negotiations, when it comes to individual player negotiations, the in-demand player will always win. That's why they keep getting NMC's and NTC's.

It sucks for the team that has to trade a guy, but generally when teams have to trade someone, they don't have much leverage anyway.

It's just a player exercising his rights. That's the game. We'd all love to be in such a position.

Yup. People should take a look at all the players that have signed offer sheets for their teams over the years.

This is hardly some new horrible trend for the league. Just business.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Imagine wanting to have a say in where you will play for the rest of your career when signing your UFA contract. Escandalo.

These guys retire in their early - mid thirties with millions and millions of dollars

Shut up and dribble

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think Hanifin and Lindholm and others in similar situations probably feel the need to exercise some agency in their careers. They were both traded by their drafting club (Carolina) across the border to Canada.
They probably want to make a decision for themselves.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Even if he doesn't know where he wants to go, he has earned his right to wait to July 1st if he so chooses too.

Players always seem to get the blame, yet when teams decided to not re-sign a guy or trade him or don't sign them as a draft pick we don't hear "what a bad team, look what they are doing to the player". This is all apart of professional sports

Of course the players get the blame, players like PLD don’t help the situation either

Refuse to play anywhere but 1 team and then be a total waste on the ice? There are a lot of players who shouldn’t have that kind of power over not only the team PLD is actively f***ing over, but the rest of the league who maybe wanted him to play for them

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Hanifin didn't scuttle any trades.

No idea how much of this storyline actually reflects the feelings of management, but it's reflecting poorly on the team, not Hanifin. Calgary seems to feel entitled to trade him with an extension included to maximize their return. That's not their decision to make. Don't like the offers you're getting for a rental? That's too bad, trade him when he still has term left then.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
That's always been the case to varying degrees. Players want to play on good teams that are well run franchises.

Not anymore, it seems the biggest motivation besides money is being able to wear sandals to the rink

I have no problem with an agent telling a team the player they rep has no intention of signing with them long term.

Teams shouldn’t be asking for anything more than a rental deal anyways, so who gives a shit?

“Is he going to extend” is irrelevant to the price

You pay the rental price

Reactions: Ezekial

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Players get to choose if they wanna resign when there a ufa. Not sure whats the problem?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not anymore, it seems the biggest motivation besides money is being able to wear sandals to the rink
Good weather year round is the ideal living situation for many human beings.

I would love to live in a place I can golf comfortably 12 months a year but sadly I have to live in Chicago and travel to those places in off months because it's the place I can make the most out of my vocation.

These guys can make more AND live in Florida as a bonus :( not fair (although I didn't enjoy living in FL but I wasn't rich when I lived there for a year)

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This. And as alluded to above: it's not like Calgary couldn't have traded Hanifin anywhere else. He only had like an 8-team NTC. It's just that other teams were reluctant to part with more valuable pieces knowing Hanifin would play out the contract and go to UFA on July 1, and in the end the offer from Vegas is the one Conroy thought was the best for his team.

If that's a problem, it's not Hanifin's problem. Or other teams' problem.

Yep. I think a lot of Flames fans on here get that.

Canadian media just stirring stuff up.

Owners just wish they owned there players till 31 or 32 whatever it was and they had little to no rights way back when.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
NTC are killing the smaller market, and cold market teams. NHL would be smart to negotiate them out of the next CBA, would probably help grow the game, too.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
These guys retire in their early - mid thirties with millions and millions of dollars

Shut up and dribble

These guys are an elite talent pool that generate billions of dollars in revenue. They're the reason people pay astronomical prices to go to games.

Them making money a lot of money for it doesn't mean they should behave like indentured servants.

NTC are killing the smaller market, and cold market teams. NHL would be smart to negotiate them out of the next CBA, would probably help grow the game, too.

"Hey guys we're already artificially restricting your salary and now we want to take away one of the few things that can give you some semblance of control over your career."

Enjoy the next lockout!

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Whenever I read these types of threads there's always at least one or two posters who pretend that Ted Lindsay never existed.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
These guys are an elite talent pool that generate billions of dollars in revenue. They're the reason people pay astronomical prices to go to games.

Them making money a lot of money for it doesn't mean they should behave like indentured servants.

"Hey guys we're already artificially restricting your salary and now we want to take away one of the few things that can give you some semblance of control over your career."

Enjoy the next lockout!
It’s called negotiation. The players will get something in return in the next CBA.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad