Is players scuttling trade deals going to be a regular thing now?... Even with teams not on their NMC list?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
On Thursday’s edition of Sekeres and Price (part of the Nation Network of podcasts), Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli explained why the trade return wasn’t larger for the Flames.

I know people have been speed-bagging Craig Conroy and the Calgary Flames on social media for the return, they had zero leverage. Noah Hanifin completely and totally hijacked that trade process. Basically any team that had called… and I’m told the Flames had two to three different trades that were nearing the finish line that were scuttled by Hanifin’s camp because invariably the team makes a call to the agent and says ‘Hey we’re thinking about trading for this guy, what are the chances we could get him to sign a contract extension?’ And the answer was always, ‘No, no, he’s not re-signing with you.’

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
no, he has a right to decide where he wants to play the next 7 or 8 years.
So do you think more players are going to do what Hanifin did in the trade?
...ie. You can trade for me but when my contract is up I won't re-sign with you.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
that was always an option so i dont think it's going to change much. you also have to be a certain level of player to use that card.

it sucks for calgary but that was hanifins right
That's going to suck for a lot of teams. There seems to be 4 or 5 teams that are a destination of choice. The rich get richer while the rest of the league fights for the leftovers.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
NTC applies to the existing contract. For extensions, the player has the right to say whatever he wants. Calgary got a rental return, and they’re not entitled to anything more.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is why I believe you trade them, when they a year or two left.

That’s probably going to happen going forward.

Reactions: CanMerc

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
On Thursday’s edition of Sekeres and Price (part of the Nation Network of podcasts), Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli explained why the trade return wasn’t larger for the Flames.

That's the same as every other deadline rental ever. No player should be expected to sign an extension with the new team just to help their old team maximize their trade return.

Seravalli is creating drama from nothing at Hanafin's expense. It's BS. It shouldn't have been reported that way. Hanafin didn't "hijack" or "scuttle" anything. He didn't demand a trade, nor did he nix one with a trade clause. What action did he take that anyone would want him to have done differently?

Should he have signed away years of his life and completely ignored what him or his family think is best, and sign with whatever team is offering a slightly higher pick to CGY? Come on! Him and his family get to make that call, not the best trade return.

The real problem here is BS reporters stirring up garbage, and people spreading it like it matters without thinking it through.

Close this thread.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think this is more Conroy and the Flames putting the horse before the wagon and trying to sell a signed Hanifin to teams, only to get frustrated when Hanifin only wants to be treated as a rental unless its for a few of his chosen locations. But he was still willing to go play whereever's not on his no trade list for 4 months.

That's not him holding the Flames hostage. That's the Flames trying to get more value by having him make an extra committment beyond his current contract.

Is the Flames best answer to gaslight in this situation? Though I guess it is an improvement of calling a summons to surrender to police for a r*pe a mental health break.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Players flexed their muscles back in the early 90's, and while they generally lose(relatively) the big picture CBA negotiations, when it comes to individual player negotiations, the in-demand player will always win. That's why they keep getting NMC's and NTC's.

It sucks for the team that has to trade a guy, but generally when teams have to trade someone, they don't have much leverage anyway.

It's just a player exercising his rights. That's the game. We'd all love to be in such a position.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Also... This is a pretty blatant communication strategy by the Flames to deflect the blame on somebody else than themselves, and to have the fanbase -- or, at least, the dimmest part of the fanbase -- turn on the player instead.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Bad take player can chose where to play too. If you want to control him should have traded him when he was an RFA.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad