Is players scuttling trade deals going to be a regular thing now?... Even with teams not on their NMC list?

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
my guess Hanifan knows what he team he wants to play for or teams he is willing to consider. Players have control and team are not willing over pay for a player who will not sign with them in the off season

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hope so. Players don't have enough rights as is.
Of all the pro leagues in North America I think they have the most.

I get it teams are afraid to trade assets for a guy they might lose, but then you just make a package based around that.

Why teams think they should get assets for a UFA like the guy is signed is another issue.

You have an impending UFA, stop expecting monster returns. You want a better return then trade him in the summer or early in the season when it's clear the guy isn't going to re-sign with you.

There were a lot of guys traded the past week and I'm sure a lot of teams would've liked to get more for their player yet this is just an issue for one team. Don't get it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There is still limited evidence that an extension would have increased his value in a meaningful way. H. Lindholm was a slam dunk trade comp. The Ducks didn’t get that much more in the trade. It didn’t unlock a top prospect like Lysell or another 1st.

The Flames used up his Hanifin’s peak value 2nd contract years. The genie was not going back in the bottle.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Hanifin was doing the potential acquirers a favor by removing information asymmetries. Teams will want to know their odds of retaining a trade target before parting with some of their most valuable assets

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
my guess Hanifan knows what he team he wants to play for or teams he is willing to consider. Players have control and team are not willing over pay for a player who will not sign with them in the off season
Even if he doesn't know where he wants to go, he has earned his right to wait to July 1st if he so chooses too.

Players always seem to get the blame, yet when teams decided to not re-sign a guy or trade him or don't sign them as a draft pick we don't hear "what a bad team, look what they are doing to the player". This is all apart of professional sports

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So do you think more players are going to do what Hanifin did in the trade?
...ie. You can trade for me but when my contract is up I won't re-sign with you.

You know when you hear about teams trading players not letting other teams discuss an extension with a player before a trade?

This is why they do that.

If Hanifin saying that to teams caused problems that’s on Calgary.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Even if he doesn't know where he wants to go, he has earned his right to wait to July 1st if he so chooses too.

Players always seem to get the blame, yet when teams decided to not re-sign a guy or trade him or don't sign them as a draft pick we don't hear "what a bad team, look what they are doing to the player". This is all apart of professional sports
I agree. Teams ask "will you sign with us"? HE goes no and a team decides the ask is too high. I have no problem with players having this power, even though my team will appear on many of their NTC list

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There is still limited evidence that an extension would have increased his value in a meaningful way. H. Lindholm was a slam dunk trade comp. The Ducks didn’t get that much more in the trade. It didn’t unlock a top prospect like Lysell or another 1st.

The Flames used up his Hanifin’s peak value 2nd contract years. The genie was not going back in the bottle.
Ya but we also dont know if h lindholm was willing to go to other teams or if boston was a preferred location.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree. Teams ask "will you sign with us"? HE goes no and a team decides the ask is too high. I have no problem with players having this power, even though my team will appear on many of their NTC list
My team is in the same boat with a lot of players and we are deemed a "contender" by a lot, lol.

Been through it before for years either we can't trade for guys or the free agents we signed were B level getting A level dollars.

Dec 15, 2002
So do you think more players are going to do what Hanifin did in the trade?
...ie. You can trade for me but when my contract is up I won't re-sign with you.
It's happened before. It's happened in the past. People just increasingly have the memory of a goldfish, and in an era where information is so readily available people can't be bothered to use basic tools to look and find that information.
Absolutely. The agents have taken control of the league.....not for the betterment of the game.
This was said 30 years ago. The game is fine. The problem is GMs who are unable to use the word "no" and hand over control of where a player can go to the player and his agent, and then the GM complains about not being able to do what he wants.

That's going to suck for a lot of teams. There seems to be 4 or 5 teams that are a destination of choice. The rich get richer while the rest of the league fights for the leftovers.
20 years ago, the destinations of choice were NY Rangers, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado and Dallas.

10 years ago, it was Chicago and Pittsburgh and Boston and Los Angeles.

"teams that are a destination of choice" come and go. They always will.

do you think this is new?
Apparently, yes - if we ignore it happening in 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, ...

I mean, this has always been a thing. Not sure why the tempest in the teapot from Frank now.
Boredom and a demand to be sufficiently entertained, screw everyone else's rights and considerations.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Hanifin is a coming UFA. Players who are coming UFAs have earned the right to see what they can get on July 1.

Pretty much this. I'm not a huge fan of unrestricted gratuitous NMCs/NTCs (there should be a cost attached, or a limit). But in Hanifin's case, well, that's why they're called rentals

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
do you think this is new?
The even funnier thing is that it's those "trades with extensions in place" that are newer lol
The bigger issue here seems to be Conroy/the Flames trying to sell something he/they didn't have possession of (that is, Hanifin's rights after July 1st 2024).
Exactly. It's that new stratagem to try to get some more value out of an upcoming UFA. Sometimes it works, but teams aren't entitled to it. Along with all these crazy conditions on picks we've been seeing lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad