Is Peter Chiarelli the worst trading GM in the league?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
That trade was a 1st + 2nd for literally nothing. Not sure how this could be "overblown", but I'm sure I will enjoy the coming rationalization.
And this assessment leaves out the tidbit that said 1st was used to select a player that has 13 points in his first 14 games in the NHL. But please, tell us more about how that trade's obvious idiocy is "overblown"

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Chia did drag his feet as Leon was able to sign an offer sheet till the middle of Aug. Problem was the 30 teams you mention would never offer him close to what what he got from the Oilers because of the picks they would have to give up, even without the picks it's unlikely a team would take a $68m chance on a 77 point winger that had McDavid feeding him.

I mean if Chia dragged his feet on McDavid and let him play part of this season without the extension McDavid could have set his own terms, and all the teams in the league would be more than happy to offersheet him at those terms so Chia wouldn't have had a choice.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I am sure it's been mentioned several times already, but oh man... that Strome trade looks absolutely horrendous right now. Eberle has been one of the better players today and I have barely noticed that Strome is playing. Huge overreaction for a one poor season/playoff run.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Chia making McDavid captain was a huge mistake aswell. The only thing McDavid's doing is leading his team to Dahlin.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I'm hoping we fire him before he trades Nuge for a bag of pucks.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Marc Bergevin is still a GM, and sakic just passed him as being a better Gm with that duchene trade.

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Eberle is not a guy who is missed. Good player though. Hall is a really good player. The Oilers did squat with him and Eberle. I wonder why?

Ohhh. The D has been trash for years..... Oh how do we get a solid dman? Let's trade Eberle or RNH, who arm chair basement GM's trash every year.

Or, let's take a risk and trade for a guy who helped propel the Dcore to top 10, is young, and on a great contract.

Let's sign Klefbom to a cheap deal as well. Lets get Sekera (who is injured). Let's get a goalie who played top 10.

What a garbage GM though. Worst in the league lol. The lack of intelligence here is astounding.
And you just happen to leave out all the objectively stupid trades of his career...

Reactions: Menzinger

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
What has Lucic done to warrant it awful right now? He's produced just like he has before. I agree it could be bad sooner than later.

What would you have done to try getting a good dman? Was Eberle getting a good dman? Was RNH?

People slag him for that Reinhart trade. The Gm on the other side wouldn't even want Hall for Hamonic lol.

Man that sh** he did in Boston. All he did was win a cup and make another finals appearance.

What a crap GM. I would never want to win a cup!
Yeah he was set up with a great core in Boston from the getgo, but turned an extremely strong team with dynasty potential into a franchise bogged down in mediocrity. There's just no defending some of those trades. If you actually watch them discuss Seguin, they say "he'll be a great player for sure, but he's not a bruin" ... what kind of gm knowingly throws away a young star for a reason as arbitrary as "he's not a *insert whatever team the GM is managing*"

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Chia making McDavid captain was a huge mistake aswell. The only thing McDavid's doing is leading his team to Dahlin.
Since when does the GM decide who is captain? Sounds like nonsense. The Oilers problems have nothing to do with McDavid any way.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am sure it's been mentioned several times already, but oh man... that Strome trade looks absolutely horrendous right now. Eberle has been one of the better players today and I have barely noticed that Strome is playing. Huge overreaction for a one poor season/playoff run.

I do not like Strome, but I am still VERY glad Eberle is not on the Oilers. Would not want him back. Oilers need a winger, but one of the few good things about the Oilers this season is no more Eberle.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah he was set up with a great core in Boston from the getgo, but turned an extremely strong team with dynasty potential into a franchise bogged down in mediocrity. There's just no defending some of those trades. If you actually watch them discuss Seguin, they say "he'll be a great player for sure, but he's not a bruin" ... what kind of gm knowingly throws away a young star for a reason as arbitrary as "he's not a *insert whatever team the GM is managing*"

Yeah I'm always amazed people seem to forget he walked into a situation where he should have had a competing team for the next 10 - 15 years based on the pieces and ages yet somehow managed to completely screw that in a couple short years. Also, NeutralFan may want to note that all his big pieces were in place before he took the reins.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Chia makes trades that help his teams in the short run but f*** them over in the long run.

Trading picks for Reinhart was an attempt to speed up the process IMO (get a more developed prospect instead of 18 year olds) and it back fired hard. The Oilers could have walked out of the 2015 draft with McDavid and Barzal.

Also buying out Pouliot this season and not even spending close to the cap is a completely idiotic move. Use your cap space you f***ing idiot.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I think he's just an overall bad GM, honestly. Not that he hasn't done good things, but I think he was given far too much credit after making out like a bandit in the Kessel deal.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I do not like Strome, but I am still VERY glad Eberle is not on the Oilers. Would not want him back. Oilers need a winger, but one of the few good things about the Oilers this season is no more Eberle.

Idk it seems like a team thats last in goals for, could use a 25 goal, 55-60 point scoring winger like Eberle right now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
yes

as crazy as it sounds I think he's still passing because of the Talbot trade (not including his BOS trades)

edit: bergevin is worse

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He is definitely the luckiest gm in the league. Walked into a cushy situation in Boston made a mess of it leaves and gets handed the keys to a brand new McDavid. I won't say there won't be success because someone like McDavid is too good to say he won't win anything...but if I was looking for a long term winner chia would be at the very bottom of my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad